Referral...

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am wondering what to expect when referred to the consultant.  Is this just to discuss the op itself and the technique used, plus anaesthesia options, and how much time should I allow for the appointment?  Is this the point when chest exray (if needed) is done, ECG, blood, etc., medical history taken, or is that a later date?

Also, does the Christmas/New Year holiday create really significant delays in surgery that should be taken into consideration?

I am sure my GP will be able to give me some information, but they are not always up to speed on what is current, and need to refer to other medics.

Many thanks

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

At the initial consultation you will talk about your symptoms, have an X-ray , complete a hip-score questionnaire and hear the downside of any operation, what could go wrong. Then if they think your life will improve following an operation they ask if you want one. Quote " nobody needs a new hip". They even question at the pre op whether you still want to go ahead with the new hip. This is what happened to me anyway. Allow all day, the appointments don't run to time! Tony 
    • Posted

I have just today, had a third set of exrays taken.  This is the third set, the last being taken two years ago.  Having a fourth set done so soon afterwards, is really upping the radiation.  That does surprise me.  My GP made a point of stating that she wished to keep the radiation down!   
    • Posted

Just took another look at you post.  What on earth are they trying to say "nobody needs a new hip..."  Are they implying that we are malingering, not in pain, wasting NHS funds, or what?  This is barmy...!
    • Posted

No, I think it is because you need to know things can go wrong. No op is 100% certain of success so you have to evaluate the risks. And to quote the article in The Times i mentioned in an earlier post "surgery is a last resort and self-help measures and medication should always be tried first....... Serious complications are rare but include fracture, dislocation, infection and blood clots." My op went well! Tony
    • Posted

Somewhat confused, as I have formed the impression that all is covered within the same referral.  I can't see how this can be, with a potential maximum wait for surgery of 18 weeks from the time of consultation.  Surely, the pre op is done just before the op itself?  In 18 weeks, health coditions can change dramatically!

I was initially diagnosed with degenerative osteo arthritis in San Francisco in 1987,and have been deteriorating since then!

Obviousy, I have reached the stage, after three sets of exrays, the last being taken today, where the prescribed exercises are not as effective, and my quality of life and mobility are severely impacted by the paind and the condition.

• Posted

My consultation with the surgeon was quite quick. He examined me, my hip, checked the X-rays. Said a THR would be recommended then warned me about possible complications, they have to. I did think to take along a printed potted medical history to help matters along

i was then sent to talk to the clinic nurse, was given some leaflets and forms to fill in. They both answered questions fully. 

It it was then explained that once I had returned the completed forms I would  be put on the waiting list. That was mid December. 

Preop op clinic in Feb, and op April 10. There is a balance as to the timing of the preop, it has to be near enough to the op date to ensure that not much is likely to have changed but early enough for you to be treated for MRSA should you prove to be a carrier, or an a symptomatic UTI etc

• Posted

Many thanks Maggie,

I knew I could rely on you for the genuine article!  Unsuprised by the caveat.  An awful lot of this depends on the "bedside manner" of the consultant.

I rather thought that the pre op would be closer to the actual op than I had been previously informed, but I think it was a misunderstanding.  Someone on here said that they were a smoker, or had been, and it did not even come into the equasion.  

Am I correct in thinking that smoking becomes more of an issue with a General Anaesthetic, and not so much with an epidural?  Most hip ops are carried out on the older generation who thought nothing of smoking because they were unaware of the complications.

I stopped in July, but had a couple of months' relapse when issues concerning my daughter's father and eventual death arose.  

Haven't been near a fag in a good couple of months or longer, and certainly no alcohol for weeks - the two go together!  A smoking history is a concern, but I have addressed it, successfully****

Good to hear from you and trust all goes well?

Susie

• Posted

Yes I am doing fine. Went to the British Museum yesterday to visit the exhibition on Celts, very, very good. Quite a lot of walking! Back at work today, hydrotherapy in the lunch hour. All go

The effects of smoking can become an issue with a GA, but although they usually encourage you to reduce or give up they deal with you as you are. I have never smoked cigarettes but was partial to the odd King Edward cigar at one time.

• Posted

Thanks Maggie,

I am being very, very good and resisting the rotten old fags.  Have noticed an improvement and do breathig exercises.  Try to walk, or rather "stagger" around the grounds, but it really causes too much pain.  So cardio vascular is out of the picture.  Want to be as squeaky clean as possible for surgery to aid recovery.  Don't want to be lying around feeling miserable for too long.

• Posted

After the initial consultation the surgeon said I would be put on the list, approx 16 weeks wait. In actual fact it was 9 weeks. It is at the pre op you have all the tests, Tony
    • Posted

Many thanks, Tony:

When does the pre op occur at the time of admission for surgery, or sooner?  

16 weeks - 4 months is an awfully long wait for surgery, but I know that this is the way the NHS is!

• Posted

Hi Susie I had consultation today what a lovely surgeon I saw :-) he showed me xray of my hip told me what to expect of op and after he was lovely I asked him lots of questions everything I was worried about he really put me at my ease xx he is going to try to get me in for the 17th DEC as he has cancellation must admit I'm still very nervous about the whole thing lol xx
    • Posted

HI Vanessa:

You are very lucky that you don't have to wait for too long.  I have just written to someone who waited for 40 weeks,which I believe is in violation of NHS R&Rs.

You must be on tenterhooks right now, but by the end of the weekend, all will be covered, and you will be on the road back to much improved mobility.

Good luck,

Susie

• Posted

Thank you Susie I am pretty scared 17th DEC 4 o'clock appt for op x surgeon said spinal block and sedatives think that's what I'm scared about the most :-( can't wait to get rid of pain though :-):xx
    • Posted

Hi Vanessa:

I think the spinal block is much easier to recover from, and with the sedatives, you will be somewhat aware of what is going on, but you will be "floating."  Are you going in on the day of the op, or the night before? 

You will be fine.  The nursing staff and surgeons are well aware that patients undergoing surgery are apprehensive and will do all they can to put you at  your ease, even, in some cases, to the point of someone sitting next to you and holding your hand.

Relax, keep busy doing things that you enjoy until your op date.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Thank you Suzie ..I'm going in the afternoon of the op my op is at 4 I don't really know how long you have to wait for spinal to kick in I forgot to ask surgeon lol but he seems to think op should take about an hour xx
    • Posted

Hi again Suzie .can I justxask what you wore after op was it nightie whilst you were in there? I was thinking of getting a couple of track suits for wearing afterwards but just dont know what to expect in way of comfort ? My daughter says leggings can you help with any suggestions sorry if it seems a silly question but I really don't know what to expectvxthanks for listening x
    • Posted

Iv been thinking about this. I was thinking about pjs that are shorts. Being young im not really a nightie type of girl haha
    • Posted

Same as me I don't do nighties really lol x but just don't have a clue what to wear for comfort lol x
    • Posted

Iv been thinking lots and lots of shorts. Im the type of person who gets stressed if clothing is touching a fresh wound. It genuinely upsets me haha. So iv decided shorts and jumpers haha
    • Posted

Hi Vanessa:

I haven't had my op yet.  In San Francisco, it was a hossspital gown for the hand op, and I was out the same day.  

So far as clothing post op in hospital is concerned, I would buy elasticated bottoms that will slip easily over the hips and not come into contact with anything much - baggy - baggy tops too, so that you are not aggravated by tight fitting clothes.  The other option that I had thought about was something like a kaftan.  That way, you don't have to worry too much about what is under it.  Leggings are going to be hard to manage.

Do you have a Bazaar near you?  They used to sell a lot of loose fitting wear that is easy to get on and off, and they do have quite good sales.  Try looking on Ebay under Bazaar.  Oska is good, for some of this sort of thing, too.  Oska is German made, and bought new, quite pricey, and extremely well made.  On Ebay, you may be able to get Oska quite reasonably.  

I wear Shirin Guild and Eskandar, but I would not take it to hospital as it is too epensive, but it is very loose fitting.

Don't know if this is of any use, but I would not wear anything that is cut into the body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.