Referral...

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am wondering what to expect when referred to the consultant.  Is this just to discuss the op itself and the technique used, plus anaesthesia options, and how much time should I allow for the appointment?  Is this the point when chest exray (if needed) is done, ECG, blood, etc., medical history taken, or is that a later date?

Also, does the Christmas/New Year holiday create really significant delays in surgery that should be taken into consideration?

I am sure my GP will be able to give me some information, but they are not always up to speed on what is current, and need to refer to other medics.

Many thanks

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

For mine the doc just give me a tiny bit of info. And then put me on the list so im just waiting. No xray or anything else anyone else got
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

That's interesting.  I have have just had a post from someone else, who said that they were put through a whole lot of questions, etc.

Apparently exray, ecgs, blood is taken pre op.

On one of these appointments an entire day should be allocated!  At this tine of year, I wouldnot want to be driving back from theother side of Bath to Wiltshire in the dark in a Panda!  Used to drive an Alfa Romeo, which would be more suitable for such a lengthy time slot!

Confusion reigns!

• Posted

But iv been having meetings with my doc since i was 16 for my hip replacement and we have had to come to the conclusion that i dont do it now my qulaity of life will be bad so maybe thats why. I also have many xray at hospital. I even have one at home. So i think maybe its different for everyone?
    • Posted

Hi Sarah:

I do remember you.  From what I understand, you fall into a different category as your condition is pretty long standing, and possibly genetic?

• Posted

Since birth but from what i know no body else in my family has had this condition so i am not sure it is genetic but it has cropped into my mind incase i ever have children in the future, would it happen to them. Its worrying
    • Posted

Hi Sarah:

Have doctors given any opinion on how this originated?  My arthritis, for example may go back to my maternal grandfather who may have had arthritis,  I was only six when he diedm but I remember that he was a pianist and had very distorted knuckles.  It may be a recessive gene.  A friend of mine's daughter has an out of the ordinary condition.  What the doctors said about it was that possibly her mother picked up a virus or ifection during the pregnancy that caused the problem,  There are so many possible explanations, including just a simple fluke of nature.

If you can get some proper answers, it should put your mind to rest about passing it along to any chldren you may have in the future.  Have they been able to give it a name?

My thoughts are with you,

Susie

• Posted

I was born with a dislocated hip but no one realised till i was 6 month. Dont know how that happened but thats when all my problems began. I think it has a name but im unsure
  • Posted

16 weeks, that would have been heavenly, I was referred over 40 weeks ago, all that time just steadily getting worse, all my GP coul;d do was increase pain relief. Due to go in tomorrow.to have it done.
    • Posted

That is much too long to have had to wait.  My understanding is the the NHS are obligated to treat within 18 weeks, not more than double the length.  

Anyway, wishing you good luck tomorrow.  Keep us posted. You must be well and truly relieved to be finally going in!

Speedy recovery and keep well nd as relaxed as possible,

Susie

• Posted

Oh I had already been waiting for a referral for over 12 months. Tony
  • Posted

I think an initial referral is to decide what to do - so xray and discussion of the problems and quick review of your general health. The surgeon will say what they think best. It's not the longest appointment - that will be at the pre op if your op goes ahead. At my referral he said he would operate, gave an approximate date and I had a blood test to check anaemia levels and that was it.

Once you have a date you get a pre op appointment. This can take 2-3 hours. you get meets with a doctor on the team - lots of history, nurse - blood tests, ecg, tests for MRSA, urine etc, you meet someone else for needs for equipment and after care, another nurse with long questionnaire and the surgeon to go over what will happen and sign the disclaimer. Some of the questions i was asked were replicated by different people. Don't know if that is a failsafe! I also got a 'goody bag' with booklets, special antibac soap and nose cream to use for so many days pre op. If this wasn't done I was told they would not operate. On the op day you meet the surgeon again and anaesthetist before it all happens!

• Posted

Hi Annedi:

Many thanks  for your response.  All makes sense, other than the "nose cream!"  Assume you had a General Anaesthetic, and the nose cream was some sort of anti bacterial ointment in preperaton for intubation?

I think the medics are pretty uptight about thepossibility of things going wrong and medical negligrnc claims, etc. which is why you have deifferent departent repeating the same questions, so that there are witnesses as to what you have stated.  Not a very comfortable state of affairs.

I know a lot of medics in the US have opted out of medicine and surgery because of the high insurance premiums they are having to stump up.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

I had an epidural and was awake and would do that again having previously had general. The nose cream is antibacterial all to do with MRSA like the liquid soap you had to shower and hair washwith pre op. It's good they take precautions. I don't know if every trust does this.
    • Posted

Thanks Maggie.  Tjese MRSA infestations are rather worrying for many reasons.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.