Revision (going to ROCK it!)

Posted , 9 users are following.

I want to say that I enjoy reading everyone's comments on this forum! Everyone gives such great advice and loving comments - it's a comforting place to visit! I I am not looking forward to my revision on Feb 8th but have faith that God will be with me and help me through it! Since I've been through a partial before I think I'll be able to rock the recovery... I hope so anyway! Who knows it may end up being a full replacement - either way I will rock it! If you have the time please send good vibes my way! I will be in touch!

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sending prayers of strength and calm to you tonight.

You are sounding very positive! That will help you, too!

Please let us know how you are doing following your surgery.

God IS always with you!

• Posted

Cheryl, you are one of the people I love to hear from! You are always positive! Thank you for your confidence!❤️
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words!

When I truly place my trust in God I feel an overwhelming calm that feels like a soft and comfortable bed.

Your faith will sustain you.

Sending you prayers of peace tonight!

• Posted

That's the only way to go into surgery. A positive attitude is always the best approach and makes recovery so much more palatable. You'll do great.
    • Posted

You are another person whom I love to hear from! You too offer great woods of advice! Thanks so very much!
    • Posted

Want a great way to describe how you feel about faith in God ..
  • Posted

Good Luck with your revision. Having a faith is an added bonus to your journey post op.l agree with your thoughts about this forum and the kind people who support others. I had a revision TKR last December and it really helps to log on and read who others in the same boat are doing. Although the physical part of recovery is tough,I find the emotional part hard to cope with especially when you get a "plateau ".

Again,good luck!

• Posted

Hi you sound very upbeat that's a plus point in your recovery. Hope everything goes well. The forums are a help to read too. So many helpful and kind people who know what you are going through. Best wishes Jannette
  • Posted

Hi Deb

hope it went well?

Let us know, when you feel like it and can focus on the keyboard ;-)

Patsy

• Posted

Update: I had my Pkr revision operation on Monday Feb 8th. Dr. had to replace the lower tibia component and the tray. Decided to go with the femoral block which is done in the recovery room after the surgery. (had a spinal for the surgery so was numb when I got the block) after the block wore off I was in horrible pain - the nurses did not keep up with the pain meds. Then they loaded me up with pain meds and I puked -- so much! Could not even move my head without puking . The anesthesiologist was called and he got the meds straight - meds to be given only by IV. My legs felt like it was made of cement I couldn't even lift it. Based on the pain I stayed an extra day at the hospital came home on the 10th. Not taking blood thinners this time just 4 aspirins a day and wearing the sexy stockings -lol! Thank God I have my husband take care of me and he does such a good job that I'm feeling much better! I can lift my leg and bend it alittle already -- tomorrow I start my in-home PT. only up from here! Just wanted to give an update.!to those of you who are in pain try your best to ice, stretch, take your meds and drink tons of water!
    • Posted

Its strange how different groups use the same protocol. 4 out my last 5 surgeries they have used the femoral block (5th time was for staph clean up and wasn't as brutal). I have always had general and the femoral block was put in place about an hour before surgery and remained in place for about 24 hrs. Meanwhile a pump was put in place so I could self administer morphine or whatever the pain killer of choice happened to be. The second day some of the IF stuff was reduced and oral meds started so that became adjusted before dismissal. As I look at many different people from a wide area I'm beginning to think its all about costs and how Dr's are paid for saving money. I'm in the US and pain management is given the same value rating as the surgery itself. I go to a teaching university medical center and they make you understand the meds are there for as much and as long as you need them. Healing won't happen if you are in pain and I'll from improper product and doseage. Things are prescribed in a manner as not to worry about addiction and this is rarely brought up. My Dr tells me he knows I'm not selling them on the street so he isnt worried. Hope you get everything back on level ground so your rehab can progress in a proper sequence.
    • Posted

Hi Deb!

Glad you are doing better after the rough go with pain meds! That early pain control is so CRUTIAL to being able to ride out those first few days. Oh yes...cement leg...I had that, too with my first knee. Could not believe it was SO HEAVY! Couldn't move it for several days! Felt like I was dragging a tree trunk when I tried to walk!

In home PT is wonderful! They will show you the best ways to negotiate all your home areas. It was such a help to me. Got all kinds of great tips, too!

Take care! Thanks for getting back to us about your procedure.

Will be praying for smooth sailing in your recovery!

• Posted

I live in northern va and went to a very well known hospital. During my first surgery sep 8 2015 I didn't have the block and my pain was controlled. Surgery on Feb 8 2016 was done at same hospital - it was just the pain from the femoral nerve block was not controlled by the nurses. To tell you the truth I don't know how they even know when the nerve block is going to wear off !? The anesthesiologist got my pain under control while I was in the hospital. I am still on the same meds and feeling OK. I had home PT yesterday with the same therapist I had last September - she said I did very well. Hopefully I'll continue this path and rock the therapy that's in my future..thank you for your concern !
    • Posted

I believe there is a window of time the block will wear off not an actual x number of hours. As we are All so very different our bodies handle things differently. I never really knew when it wore off as the other meds had taken over.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.