Rezum experience

Posted , 12 users are following.

i had the rezum done a little over 3 weeks ago. Catheter for 5 days. Things were good for over a week then could not urinate except for dribbles . TOUGHED it out almost went to the ER but then started slowly urinating again. 3 days later stopped all together, doc had me come in to show me how to self cath. My eyes teared up when i saw how long the cath was . The relief i felt afterwards quickly brought joy.I Self cathed for 4 days on kept seeing tissue and clots in the flow and cath. Then started to urinate after feeling like a passed something . DOC CALLED to see how i was doing and said it is most likeky the prostate breaking down . 3 days had problem today , struggled to pee and none at all. I STRUGGLED AND STRUGGLED till i started to pass literally chunks and gradually started a week stream . Then i struggled one more time and it felt like i gave birth to a healthy 1 ounce of tissue . Now starting to urinate again. I Have to think its the prostate tissue. Before this my urine was a diluted cranberry juice look also. It now started looking more of a dark yellow . Anyone else have similar experience

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had REZUM on June 28 so I'm at about 10 weeks now. It is still improving. But at 4 or 5 weeks I did pass quite a bit of blood and clots over a 10 day period, off and on. I Had to self cath for six or seven weeks on a decreasing basis as my urination improved. Have not had to cath in two or three weeks now. What a blessing to be able to walk up to a urinal and pee! Good luck!

• Posted

I had REZUM on June 28 so I'm at about 10 weeks now. It is still improving. But at 4 or 5 weeks I did pass quite a bit of blood and clots over a 10 day period, off and on. I Had to self cath for six or seven weeks on a decreasing basis as my urination improved. Have not had to cath in two or three weeks now. What a blessing to be able to walk up to a urinal and pee! Good luck!

• Posted

• Posted

HI Frank hope you are well. I had an FLA 12 weeks ago. Have passed three surprising clots and 3 pieces of tissue in that time. Was surprised each time but no pain and they all came out ok without any blockage.

Are you still taking flomax?

Joe

• Posted

i have tried flomax and other drugs but cant tolerate the side affects

• Posted

I wish there was more info about all these different experiences given to patients either by their doctor or the rezum website . A rosy gloss over with no explanation of possible affects after the procedure .The worrying and not knowing why i had to self cath had my head spinning .My wife found you guys and at least helped with the anxiety . Will continue to post about progress and hopefully no setbacks .

• Posted

frankieyes,

I had a successful Rezum in late November 2018. At 3 weeks, you may not see results yet. While some men are reported to start opening up at 2 weeks, it is more common to open up at 4 weeks. I started to open up at 4 weeks and saw a steady improvement over then next 2 weeks. By 8 weeks, I was well opened up and peeing like normal again.

I had blood in my pee for the 1st 4 weeks and over the full 3 months, there were periods of a few days when there was more blood or I was shedding more dead prostate tissue. These would last for about 1 to 3 days. Sometimes the tissue would clog a size 14 catheter. Sometimes there would be episodes of swelling that required a stiffer catheter to pass through.

All men who has a Rezum should learn how to self-cath before they have the procedure. I was doing it for 10 months before mine.

Good luck and hang in there. It will get better.

Steve

• Posted

PS: In terms of side effects, all prostate procedures will have side effects from removing tissue although the methods vary. Rezum because it is a minimally invasive procedure will have less of them.

• Posted

HI Steve,

could you please tell me there was t improvement in your flow after every episode of blood in the urine? I mean if blood was an indicator that the prostate was shrinking, the flow should have been increasing .

Thank you.

• Posted

Alex,

All prostate procedures will result in blood in your pee because your prostate was damaged (what doctor's call morbidity) by the procedure whether that be by a steam injection, laser heat, or other. So blood is not an indicator of the prostate shrinking. Stronger pee streams were my indicator.

Also to take into account is the ability of your bladder to push out the pee. Some of us had bladder damage due to our BPH so the ability of the bladder to push out the pee is compromised. My bladder has been slowly recovering after my Rezum which was over 9 months ago.

Steve

• Posted

i understand now all the things that happened after the procedure thanks to this forum. On the flip side i could not find any of this info on any rezum site. Nothing about giving birth to tissue and things like that. 1-2 weeks back to where u were before the procedure , possibly 4 . NOTHING about self cathing . Also the procedure hurt like a mothet@@$)( . I had no anesthia just numbed the prostate and lidocaine squirted down the penis . He offered valium but needed to drive myself home afterwards

• Posted

want to give a update to Rezum procedure . Since having a rough go 2-3 weeks after the procedure with self cathing for a few days and lots of tissue passed through my penis, i have to caustiously say things are going well. Have not seen a urine stream this strong in years. I use to get up 3-4 times a night now 1 times and sometimes not at all. I still have some urges and hard to control at times and hope this will get better as my body and bladder gets use to emptying my bladder quickly and and alot less effort .No sexual problems, no retro .When i first did this i was regretting it in the 1st 3 weeks, but now like i said caustiouly enjoying the benefits .

• Posted

Hi all and thank you for sharing your experiences; it doesn't look like there's been much activity on this forum for awhile but I do appreciate your insights and hoping for more sharing if you have time.

I too just had the Rezum procedure on November 20, 2023. Next day I landed in Emerg twice for blocked catheter; first time I was just drained; then second time (2 hours after first) I was drained then flushed out and was advised lots of tissue was removed. There were no issues after that and my catheter was removed on day 5. I have not had any blockages since then.

Tomorrow is the start of week 5 for me. Based on what I've read in this forum it appears I may be heading into the time period where I may be experiencing more heavier bleeding and more tissue removal and feeling a tad anxious. I did ask my doc after the procedure if I needed to learn how to self cath to which he replied 'was not necessary'. as he felt my urethra was large enough to pass the material on my own. Based on what I've read here I'm thinking it may be a good idea. I did learn how to do it (Youtube) now I just need to purchase a catheter tomorrow. Better to be prepared than to wait in line in Emerg once again (first time 2 hours....second 9 hours and I left! However I was drained first and they wanted me to wait to see a doctor but didn't see the point); the doc who did the procedure was not available to assist so had to go to Emerg. Once my catheter was removed I was booked for another appointment 4 months later....in March 2024! No check in no nothing; not impressed!

I'm still bleeding when I initially pee (initial start) then it turns clear. I'm also still experiencing discomfort (burning) both when I start and stop peeing. The 'things to watch for post surgery' information given to me was very scarce and vague; therefore found this forum to which I have been grateful.

As one comment mentioned "I regretted this procedure for 1-3 weeks then things improved"; I'm hoping for the same as so far it has not been a great experience and starting to have some regrets myself based on my experience.

I'm hoping for some uplifting 'updates' from the group to keep me going as it's been a isolating experience so far with next to no support unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.