REZUM--HAVE YOU HAD THIS DONE???????

Posted , 385 users are following.

I had a nice conversation today with the President of the "Urology Times". He was telling me that there is a "New Procedure" that has been approved called the "REZUM SYSTEM".  The company that makes the system is called "NXThera, Inc".  You can google them up and lots of stuff comes up.  I called them for a referral and they gave me a Doctor in Minnepolis that has done it over 50 times now.  I called his nurse and she said he would call me back and answer my questions on monday.  As you guys probably know Doctors are not very good at returning calls but we'll see what happens.  Iam not very good at explaining how the procedure works but basically they take the device and put it up the uretha and vaporize the prostate cells which kills them.  It works with high pressure "steam" that at a certain degree will kill the prostate tissue.  My question for you guys is there anybody out there that has had it done to them and how are you getting along and are there "side effects", etc etc?????

35 likes, 5645 replies

5645 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a TUMT in Jan. 2015 and it is similar in that tisue is destroyed with microwave energy. Well, lasted less than 9 months. I have given up on finding the holy grail treatment and have a surgery scheduled for March 22. Should be the end of all my prostate "problems". Have accepted the retro ejaculation as I figure I'm well past baby making.
    • Posted

James;  Which "particular" surgery have you chosen???   God Bless You.
    • Posted

Will probably be a simple(open) prostatectomy but won't know exactly until I'm in the operating room and all tests are made. At that point Dr. makes decision.
    • Posted

I just literally got off the phone with the "PRESIDENT"  of "NXThera" the inventors of the "REZUM SYSTEM".  He told me that there is "NO RETRO GRADE EJACULATION".  He was very emphatic about this.  He recommended a guy that has done it now exactly 62 times and I have a call in for him to ask a few more questions about side effects and what to expect post recovery.  I wish I could find someone here in Omaha but this procedure is just barely 6 months old.  I'll let you know what I find out.  Still would love to hear from guys that have already done the procedure.
    • Posted

James alot of us on here are passed the baby making stage but we still what all of it.  I went through the dry orgasms when I was on a pill.  Did not care for it and it hurt my bladder at times I did not want to have sex..  I had a Uro-lift and it worked great.  Have you ever had a dry orgasm.  To make sure that you are ok with it have your doctor give you a pill that will cause it it see if it's something you can live with.  I know that your going through alot but When they core out your prostate you are going to be in alot of pain and bleed more they you are going to think.  It will take you month's to get better and you will not know if it works just like the first procedure you had . There was a man on one of these forums that had to have a turp done 2 time did not work and the doctor said we need it done it again.  He say no way and I should have not done the first time.  He is so depressed he has giving up on life.  Just saw the answer you gave chuck.  I would never like another man make that decision for my body.  Do you know the side effect if your doctor does that to you.  A dry orgasm is the least of your problem.  You may has well say sex is a thing of the passed.  You will have urinary problems erectile problem. The doctors allway say it's not a big deal but they don't tell you that it may take up to 2 years to get anything back if you do and it will never feel the same.  Life is to short and we need to enjoy all of it.  It is your dicision but I hope you make the right one.  Good luck ken
    • Posted

Thats good to hear maybe because the vapor does not effect the ejaclator glands.  If it is ture that is great news for alot of men.  I would like to hear for any men that were in the trials.  I will keep reading about it Ken
    • Posted

James I'm sorry but I can't get this out of my head.  Do you have cancer or just because you are having a problem peeing your going to let the doctor make the decision to take your prostate out.  My god I think you would be worst off and you can end up in diapers.  The prostate is the plug for the urine without that you have no control PLEASE PLEASE look more into it before you do something you will not be able to handle it I cannot see a man going through all of that when there could be something else he can do.  At least talk it over with your doctor.  And tell him do what you can but My prostate stays were it is It would save you alot of trouble.  I don't know if your married but if you are you are not the only one going through with this.  Ken
    • Posted

First of all I am NOT having my prostate removed. I do not have cancer and I have been on tamsulosin for about a year and  half so I am familiar with retro ejaculation and like you think it sucks. The doctor I am seeing is highly respected and my own personal MD that I have been seeing for the last forty five years had a TURP done last year by this same Urologist and has been completely satisfied with the results. So I figure I am in pretty good hands. The recommended procedure is due to the SIZE of my prostate making it difficult to go the typical roto router method. As I said the method will be determined when all facts are considered. 

I appreciate your concern. You can get more information on this by looking up that procedure.

• Posted

Well that does help me a bit.  But you do know that a prostatectomy is the removal of part or all of the prostate.  I would tell my doctor to do what he can but the prostate stays were it is.  I would not let him make that decision.   I don't want you to wake up and have to deal with more problems.  I know you trust him but it is your body  Ken   
    • Posted

Chuck, I had my REZUM on August 15th...I've attempted 2 Trial Voids since without success...I'll try another after 30 days and, then, another if necessary...It takes 1-3 months for the body's immune system to eliminate the dead prostate tissue created by the REZUM, but by then your urethra should have regained it's normal size and be able to empty your bladder normally so you'll regain your life...I hope that the case....There was ~ 9 seconds of sharp pain each time the Uro Doc used the needle to "steam kill" targeted prostate obstruction tissue...The Uro Doc did that 16 times in my case...I have bleeding in my urine ~ once per week which is suppose to be normal...The Uro Doc says I can't Self Cath because of mid lobe obstrction ( I thought it was removed)...Because I've been unable to void, I've been on a Direct Catheter for the past 3 months and will be 4 months at my next Trial Void Date...It's painful and embarrashing wearing the direct catheter...I have't had any pain due to the REZUM procedure...Thus, there's Pluses and Minues to REZUM and I don't know if it will be successful yet... GOOD LUCK!.....

• Posted

Hi Randy,.am l reading your note correctly? You've have the cath in

for extended periods of time (+30 days) between void test without

removing? I had my Rezum on Aug 22. I've had the cath pull in and out

4 times - 3.5 days in and 3.5 days out. Like you, they advising

against self cath due to an obstruction in my urethra. The did

6 injections.

• Posted

Good luck to you, I wish you the best.

Have you tried urinating while sitting

down on the toilet>  I used to do that 

a lot when I had trouble urinating before

Rezum.  Again, maybe a light sedative

will calm you down enough to urinate.

I wish I had an answer for you, but I

don't.

• Posted

I think you need to find another doctor. First, if they can get the Foley up there, you can probably get a speedicath up there. They are smaller and slide more easily. By now, you shouldn't have any obstruction that's so big you cant even catheterize yourself - Its been almost 6 weeks. There is no harm in trying to self cath - you can always have the bag re-attached. But 16 sprays is the most I've ever heard of. THey generally recommend 4-6. That may be why you're still so swollen - but this procedure isn't supposed to leave you on a cath for months - when I had it done I set a record (self cathing not a foley) at 2 weeks.

I'm sorry to suggest that Your doc seems in over his head. Get the f-----g Foley out and see if you can self cath. If you can, my guess is that when you're at home and not under pressure, you'll be able to get some out. But even if you can't, you can live normally self cathing, you can;t with a foley. The whole purpose of this procedure is to not need a cath.

you might want to contact the company and see if they can recommend another Uro in your area that has a better handle on this. Your guy will leave you on a foley forever/

• Posted

Wish you the best I think mine is going to be ok just disturbed me with blood in my semen
    • Posted

I agree at 24 days I'm much better no cath I took flomax then now I take finesteride but I pee tiny bit better I had a 105 cc prostrate not really recommended for this procedure the pain was absolutely beyond my belief on two or three horrible other three

• Posted

I had a better pee result than you both but a lot of procedure pain some blood in my semen after first try at sex a lot of blood in fact 24 days after procedure
    • Posted

13 days since rezum procedure , had blood in my urine all day yesterday . Today no more blood based on all the chat about blood in the seaman , I think I will wait at least 4 weeks before taking a test run on it .
    • Posted

Do what you think is best, but I took  run at it a few days after the procedure with my docs blessing and no problems
    • Posted

Would that be dr Randy Bearhs in Minnesota

By any chance. And if do his office told me hd is not taking any new patients !

Anyway I have givfn up on it retro is yo scary for me , and body had any bph reduction with dr Sperling and his MRI , if do it at all , I'm thinking that' is the way to go but exspencive 30 grand or more

• Posted

Hi Randy-

Sorry for all the problems you’ve experienced. I had Rezum on 5/16. Five days of excruciating pain. When they pulled the cath, the problem was over.

I’m beginning to see that this really can depend on getting the best urologist. Not only can I urinate as needed but NO retro. I’m 65 but feel like 35 again.

Best of luck, Joe 

• Posted

I ended up in the Er 5 hrs later they had to pull my cath. My body rejected it. And my peeing got better after 2 days. Stay ok for 6 days then now it's every he or sometimes every 30 min. And I don't see the Dr for another 19 days.

• Posted

Joe  I am so happy that it worked out for you.  Can you tell me how many injection were done and did the doctor tell you were he placed them  Ken
    • Posted

It didn't work out I pee like 20 times aday still.waste of time. And still having muscle spasms after12 days.

• Posted

Kenneth-

My prostate measured 81g. This is the high end for Rezum. I was given 9 injections. VERY painful each one! The Dr did not tell me where they were. I see him again on 7/6. So far very pleased. I know what it’s like to have surgery that doesn’t work. That has happened to me with other surgeries on other body parts. Drives you nuts!

Take care, Joe

• Posted

Great to hear!

We are now involved in a large gland study with Rezum.

We have had great success in patients with 150 g.

• Posted

I per constantly, like 20 times aday. I can't do anything. Can't go far without having to urinate. It's been 2 weeks since I've had surgery. Got no relief yet

• Posted

I had steam surgery. Not worth my time. It made me pee more. I have to wear a depends now. My life was going ok. Now it SUCKS!!!!
    • Posted

Sinford I thought you said you had a urinary tract infection. 

Did you get treatment for that?  An anti-biotic?

• Posted

I do and I've been on the pills for 5 days i see no difference

• Posted

Please ask your urologist then about that because I'm wondering if they did a urine culture to insure that they had the correct anti-biotic. It really depends on the bacteria which antibiotic to use. 

• Posted

Not really still peeing 20 times a day or more. But I got a uti and taking meds for it for 4 days now. I don't see any improvement.

• Posted

Make sure the do a urine culture (if they haven't) to ensure you're on the right drug. Also, have them prescribe Myrbetriq ASAP!!! That may well help dramatically. Urgency is normal - it goes away but is treatable until it does.

• Posted

rezum is minimally effective. he's right..... didn't effect the production of semen. not that effective either

• Posted

Jersey

Do you know of any Urologist that are doing the Rezum procedure in Chicago or where the study being done.

Trying to find a doctor for a friend of mine.

All the best....Ken

• Posted

Ken,

Dr. Kevin McVary is at Loyola in Chicago now and would be an excellent choice. He did my Rezum procedure about a year and a half ago when he was in Springfield Illinois.

• Posted

Good Evening

Thank you Ken. I will give him the information

Be safe..........Ken

• Posted

Dr. Matthias Hofer at Northwestern. He did mine. I'm at day 12. I like him a lot. Not seeing much results yet, however.

• Posted

Hey Metto

I guess it is going to take some time. You should be seeing some results soon If not keep on calling your doctor

Let me know....God Bless.......Ken

• Posted

you could see slow improvement starting around week 2. I saw the biggest improvement between months 2 and 3. ipss 22 to 8 at 5 1/2 months

• Posted

Yes that should happen. But some men take longer.

Time will tell Just relax and take it easy...Ken

• Posted

I started to open up at 4 weeks with noticeable improvement by 6 weeks with the biggest improvement between 2 and 3 months too. My IPSS went from a 28 or 29 to an 8 or 9 at 6 months. Due to bladder damage, my PVR's are still over 100 ml. Hopefully over time the bladder will recover...

S

• Posted

Im glad to hear that some many have had good results. I, for one, cannot recommend this to anyone. I believe I am the youngest on this board to have had this done, and it has been nothing but a nightmare.

3/27 procedure was done, 4/15 was my first trip to the ER, that was for a urinary infection that had traveled to the kidneys. Another catheter installed for another 9 days and then removed. Had positive results and was released to go back to work on 5/13. Boarded an airplane for a trip and started to see blood, ended up with full on retention and in the ER and 3 days in the hospital again, another catheter for another 10 days and then removed.

"youre over the hump now" says the doc and I feel fine. 3 weeks later Im helping a friend doing something and i strained or lifted a bit too hard (i think?? not really sure), nothing I thought was too much. After all, I was told I was fine. Went to void and BAMM, full on blood, immediate retention and an ambulance ride to a crappy hospital that was outside of town, complete clown show and the most pain Ive ever felt in my life. Move to another hospital and after Upsizing the catheter 3 times we finally get squared away and are on constant irrigation again,

To my horror, my doc comes in and says the same GD thing, I think youre over the hump....Really? Time for a new doc.

Get released and told to come see him next week, but i don't make it through the weekend, too much bleeding. So I go the ER, AGAIN, and they call a urologist from the other practice in town. This guy is a god send, he tells me nothing about this is normal and we scheduled a sedated cystoscopy where he hinds several areas of bleeding from the surgery which havent healed. He cauterizes them and then I go home with ANOTHER catheter for another week.

I did this procedure to make my life better and its been hell. I wake up in the middle of the night having night mares about peeing blood, or not being able to pee at all. Too scared to even try sex. This procedure is a money making machine for doctors and an absolute nightmare for patients. I cannot beg you loud enough to consider anything but this procedure. 39 days of catheterization is too much for 10 life times.

Stay the hell away from this, for the love of whoever you believe in, just say no.

• Posted

Jeff,

Sounds to me like you picked the wrong urologist and not the wrong procedure so put the blame where it belongs.

My Rezum was a success and I picked a urologist who had been practicing for over 20 years and had done Rezums for 2 years. It is a new procedure so some urologists are new at it. It is important to pick a urologist who has done enough Rezums.

I was guided through this process by a family member who I have known for over 60 years and has been a surgeon for over 40 years. He said to make sure that the urologist that you chose to do your Rezum has done at least 50 of them.

I saw 3 different urologist until I chose the one who did my Rezum based on a recommendation on this forum. If my prostate grows back and if there is not a better medical technology by then, I would choose a Rezum by the same urologist again.

So did you do your homework before you had your Rezum done, or not?

Steve

• Posted

Infection is a major setback, I had 15 injections. started finesteride 2 weeks prior to rezum. I passed a little pink around the catheter day 2, but nothing post catheter 4 days. no pain, no blood. its possible you had injections close together causing a weakness or soft spot in the urethra. sounds like inexperience. I had bleeding following biopsy, punctured urethra and immediate bleeding out the front. scab broke a couple times ribbons of blood, not as bad as you though. my urethra at almost six months is a little sensitive still. Hope cauterizing the urethra holes puts you on a better course and you finally get the symptom relief from the procedure. that is what is important

• Posted

steve,

no im an idiot that didnt research anything.....read the sarcasm.

of course i did. i have my opinion, you have yours. I studied and struggled with this decision for 3 years. did i pick the right urologist? probably not, bit he fit all the criteria you stated., do i cant go back in time.

bottom line this is a money maker for docs and im finding out they really dont have the whole thing figured out yet.

its my opinion, and my choice, to warn people of the possibilities for complications and what could happen to them, I would sleep even worse if someone out there doesnt take some of what i have to say under serious consideration and wait until this procedure vetted even further.

ill expect to see one of those 800 lawyer commercials at some point. Until then, unless you work for rezum or are one of their urologists, id take what i had to say to heart and realize this isnt the wonder procedure that everyone makes it out to be.

ill crawl back into obscurity and leave the trolls alone.

• Posted

Jeff,

So the urologist that did your Rezum, how many Rezums did they do before yours or how long had they been doing Rezums before yours?

During the 3 years that you studied this, how did you study it? As a retired scientist, I know that there is a difference between studying and solid research.

I have been on this forum for about a year and a half now. It has been very helpful to me and to others. I have tried to help others with the knowledge that I have gained from my experience both with the urologists that I have worked with and with the family-member-MD.

I have found the complainers on this forum are usually not helpful. Some of us who have had successful Rezums have collectively posted our "lessons learned" in how to do the whole Rezum process right, both in choosing a urologist and the post-Rezum recovery process.

A friend of mine who is a retired science middle school teacher used to say to me that the kids who did not do their homework should not complain about the bad grades that they got.

I looks to me like you did not do your homework and as a result you are now a complainer on this forum.

Regards,

Steve

• Posted

Really not sure why I'm responding to a troll such as yourself, but I guess I just cant help myself.

First off, you don't know me, or my educational background. Usually I find people that need to immediately tell the whole world their job title and where they "hailed" from are probably missing something in life. And people that attack others for differing opinions are equally challenged in my opinion. (congrats on being a scientist by the way, I only wish I could be that smart)

So, from your point of view, as long as the comments here are positive and pro-rezum, then alls well I guess.

While you are sharing your pro-rezum thoughts, I am sharing my experiences, which haven't been that great. Could I have chosen the wrong urologist, absolutely I could have. But by the criteria put forward by you, the great scientist, he met all the marks.

I'm not complaining Steve, I'm sharing (just like your great mind has) my experiences with folks, They are NOT the norm, but had someone else in my age bracket posted anything like what I have had for experiences, I would have seriously reconsidered. RIght or wrong, those are the experiences I have had, and they should be a serious consideration for those thinking about this.

I only wish I were the guy on here telling everyone how wonderful it was, and how speedy the recovery was, but I'm not. Sorry I don't meet your criteria for posting here.

Back to your regularly scheduled show.

PS, there are very many of you that have reached out privately to me and expressed your thoughts and prayers as well as your recommendations for 2nd opinions. I want to thank each and everyone of you for your constructive thoughts and prayers, its greatly appreciated. I think I'm finally on the mend, at least I hope I am.

• Posted

looklook he had a bad result. Don't blame the victim. It may be his surgeon did commit malpractice maybe he should go see a lawyer? but let's not turn on the poster in. he shared his experience and it was terrible and I appreciate reading it. if I was him I would be talking to a medical malpractice lawyer about whether he was a victim of medical malpractice.

• Posted

Sounds like your doc botched the procedure, you had an atypically bad reaction or both. Sometimes the best plans go awry and because none of us went to med school, laymen can only deduce so much.

I think your type of experience with Rezum is pretty rare - and despite the horror show you've been living, once you really ARE over the hump, there will probably not be any permanent damage. Folks with botched TURPs and Greenlights spend their lives in diapers and impotent. Even your miserable result speaks the advisability of trying something like Rezum as a first option IMO.

Good luck, I'll add you to my prayers.

• Posted

Thanks Jeff for sharing what happened to you. The more information we get the better we all are. Is your current urologist someone who you feel will be able to give you competent help?

Is it possible that the first urologist punctured through to your urethra ?

• Posted

Hey David

I hope you are doing well.

Yes I think that doctor that did his procedure damage something. With all the men that have been on here and have had it done. I have never heard anything like that happen to any of them.

I hope the new doctor can help him get better.....Ken

• Posted

Hi OB.....thought I'd check back in . My Rezum was June 7 so I'm at 5 1/2 weeks post procedure. Foley in for 3 1/2 weeks , self cath 10 days, stopped 5 days ago and am voiding on my own and things are starting to flow as you predicted they would. I found the self cathing a good way to monitor progress and found out from Dr. that many guys have a difficult time self cathing. Well I'm glad I listened to the encouragement to self cath from several of you guys. Stream is getting a little better every day.....yay! So sorry to hear of the difficulties some have experienced above....every patient is different and every Doctor is different therefore every experience is different. My heart goes out to all of those in pain and anxiety about the Rezum process. ...I had my share of difficulties as well.

Good luck to all of us!

• Posted

David,

The Rezum instrument must puncture the urethra so that it delivers the steam injection to the prostate that destroys the tissue and reduces the size of the prostate to clear the blockage. There are problems when the puncture is too shallow. After a Rezum, the urethra will have puncture wounds. After a TURP, sections of urethra will be missing.

Steve

• Posted

oldbuzzard,

Yes it sounds like Jeff's Rezum was botched and his experience is rare. Rezum is a first option IMO too. That is one reason why I chose Rezum. Yes, with a botched TURP, you spend your life in diapers and impotent.

Steve

• Posted

I guess I don't understand the procedure. I thought it was done through puncturing the colon.

• Posted

Some urologist do a TRUS - transrectal ultrasound to image the prostate and get its sizee and shape before deciding to do a Rezum.

S

• Posted

It definitely makes more sense to do it through the urethra now that I think about it. Less risk of an infection, and trying to get at that part of the prostate that is pinching the urethra.

• Posted

since the steam stays in the area just outside the urethra it makes perfect sense. killing the enlarged cells that are blocking urination. if done correctly and the injections start overlapping starting from outside the bladder neck it is hard to see why anyone wouldnt benefit from rezum. procedure is slightly uncomfortable, only local pain block directly to the prostate 2 shots, nothing orally. surprising no pain in that area day after and no bleeding. have urologist prescrible finesteride 2 weeks prior. I think this helped me a lot

• Posted

google richard levin rezum to get a clearer picture of the procedure

• Posted

also google rezum verywellhealth.com some good information

• Posted

also google very well health rezum lots of good information

• Posted

no retro for me

more volume of ejaculate now and greater pressure

all good

• Posted

How long did you wait to have sex after the procedure? I'm a bit over two weeks post procedure. Stream is really great...no blood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.