Rheumatoid Arthirtis

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had RA for the past 6 years. It started out with some swelling and mild pain in my middle finger of one hand. I was put on NSAID for a while.  The pain disappeared but the sweling got worse so  I have been taking  Methotrexate 25 mg and Plaquenil for the past 2 years. I still do not have paing but my joints (now middle fingers on both hands) are swollen and now there some mild deformity.  I have an appointment  with my doctor next week and I am wondering if I should ask for a stronger medication. Can you have swelling and deformity without havng pain?

Is there anyone who has had the same experience? what will stop the deformity?

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

I've experienced a similar thing to you.  My middle finger was so swollen and so painful that it would keep me awake at night. Around that time I was due to have a ultrasound scan on my hands to check if there was any damage to my joints and when I attended the appointment I couldn't move my finger and was in lots of pain, so I expected to see a lot of RA in my hand.  The scan showed no results of active RA in the joint. I couldn't work out why as it felt like there was.

When I saw my consultant it turned out that I have tendonitis in my finger. I had this on my other hand a couple of years ago and had to have an operation. I didn't realise it was the same thing as when I had it a few years ago I don't recall being in  pain.....my finger used to swell and lock all the time, but other than that it wasn't painful at all - just swollen and did look like it was becoming deformed.

He gave me a cortisone injection in the tendon and it has worked so far.  He said that sometimes people with RA do get tendonitis, but also some people can be more prone to it than others.  I appear to be one of those people as the tendon from my little finger up to my elbow is completely damgaed (I saw it on the ultrasound).

So it might be that, or maybe they can give you an injection into the joint to see if that helps?   It's horrible being in so much pain especially in your hands and I do hope they sort it out for you.

• Posted

Thank you. I am going to ask my doctor about it. Did you only need one injection?
    • Posted

Hi, I've only had one injection so far - which was about 3 weeks ago and so far so good, although every now and then my finger locks which makes me wonder if I will need an op on it.

It's 50/50 whether the injection will do the trick but I felt it was worth a try as I would rather not have an operation. But we will see.

Good luck with your treatment.

• Posted

Hi

I'm only recently diagnosed- due to sudden onset pain and dreadful worsening fatigue.

However, my finger joints already show significant damage with two in particular where the joints have completely "collapsed". So I think damage can be going on with you being unaware of it. My only symptom for a long time was profound fatigue and dry mouth which I thought was due to being a type II diabetic. Wrong!!!

On the drug front my personal belief is the less you can get away without taking the better!! My nephew who has severe psoriatic arthritis went completely deaf from his meds and has had to have cochlear implants. However, everyone is different and if you find a suitable drug regime with minimal side effects I'd stick with it.

Blessings. Susan

• Posted

I agree with you about the drugs, but I feel without the drugs, the deformity is going to get worse. I am also trying to avoid wheat and dairy and taking  supplements.
  • Posted

I know a woman who has a RA and no pain but significant damage to joints. That has not been the case with me, but I just wanted to let you know its possible.
  • Posted

Hello dancing G sorry to here your worries. My Rheumatoid also started 6 years ago went to bed 3 in the morning woke with terrible pain in three fingers. It spread to my writs ankles and was unable to very much. It took two years for a diagnosis.

I am now on Methatrexate which is to slow the disese down. Pregabalin for pain.

I have this year been put on Hydrochloraquine which has helped with swelling it may be worth asking your rheumatologist about it.

The deformaties can as far as I know be slowed down it is a horrid thing for all of us to live with and except if we ever do. I wish you well on your journey with RA just go day by day

• Posted

Just a note- be CAREFUL with cortisone shots in finger joints. Prob goes without saying but should always be under guided ultrasound otherwise some horrid things can happen...

I'm feeling terribly depressed now 3 weeks after diagnosis. It's going to be 6 weeks until I can attend the rheumatology clinic (I can't afford to go private system). In the meantime I only have Mobic for the pain which is doing diddly squat!! My GP is reluctant to prescribe anything else until I've seen the Rheumatologist as I'm complicated by diabetes. I just feel so miserable, so exhausted and very much alone with this.

Blessings to all suffering this....

Susan in Aussie land

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the diagonosis. Science has come a long way in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Just hang in there till you see your Rheuamtologist, I am sure they will find some combination that will work for you. 

I am also trying wheat and dairy free diet. Some people say it really helps. Also some supplememnts, -- fish oil, turmeric in pills form or you can use fresh or powdered form in your cooking and also ginger. Ginger and turmeric are supposed to be anti inflamatory. You are not alone in this. 

• Posted

Hi I have also just started dairy free with turmeric and ginger started turmeric 400g and teaspoon of ginger in my juice.hope it helps us the pain of late to much to tolerate. I am also trying just rice an chicken watch this space will let you know how it goes in a months time.

I am also on citalopram have been for some time certainly helps to cope each day as I did suffer from anxiety when it all started. I have a disabled son and just could not see to him. This caused me such stress I feel sure made things worse.

My son then had to go to a care home which I could not cope with but I can say today he has settled and I know I would not be able to cope with his care needs and accepted that part of our lives. I wish everyone good help and thank you all for sharing on the forum take care

• Posted

Thank you for your response.

It's hard to take care of a disabled loved one and then deal with your own health issues. I am sure your son will be well taken care of at the home.

Let me know about the chicken and rice.

• Posted

Thank you dancingG for the kind reply you left me so nice to be reasured and I will certainly let you know how my rice and chicken and turmeric and ginger work for me. Take care
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with RA in October last year after several years of hip pain that continuously got worse. 2 months ago an x ray was done on my hip because the pain has become unbearable and osteoarthritis was found. At that time I was taken off of arava due to lab results showing rheumatoid is still highly active and left on mobic that I feel does no good and was given muscle relaxers and pain patches that I'm supposed to wear indefinitely and refuse to because I don't want to be heavily medicated like that. My leg from my hip to my knee constantly hurts so bad that I can barely move around and the rhumetologist seems to be clueless as to what to do. I'm tired of dealing with the pain and the fatigue. Any advice or suggestions on what to do?
    • Posted

It may sound trite but I've recently been put on a specific Pilates program by my Physio who's skilled with all types of arthritis.

Initially pain increased but I can feel my core muscles strengthening and thus helping to protect those joints!!

I think this is a very important thing to do- no matter what the pain level. The Physio will tailor the exercises to your level of pain so you're not pushing past boundaries.

I've also (with reluctance) started on an anti depressant- Zoloft. My Dr believes this will provide better sleep, help with pain and naturally I've been feeling depressed anyway!! Who wouldn't? I only started these yesterday but will report back on any benefits. Today I'm simply struggling to tolerate the initial start up side effects. (Nausea, dizzy etc). I think once it kicks in it will help even if just with the depression as I've reached the point where staying in bed sleeping with a heat pack is my favorite occupation!! (Not good!).

Blessings to all from Aussie land, Susan

• Posted

Thank you.

Do you know which lab results showed that your rheuamtoid was hightly active?

I have a borderline Rheumatoid Factor level, all other lab results have always been normal. Sometimes, I wonder if something else is going on besides RA!

• Posted

Hi

Yes, rheumatoid factor present and ESR elevated (inflammatory and auto immune marker).

I too think I have something else complicating the issue and that's fibromyalgia due to the widespread pain not limited just to joints but to tendons and muscles also. And the crippling fatigue that no amount of sleep/rest helps. I plan to question the Rheumatoogist about this as they also diagnose fibro. Plus I believe I've had fibro for quite some time- before the RA began. This was the main reason I've reluctantly started Zoloft (SSRI). They're a frontline treatment for fibro. Oh brother do I feel sick!!!!- I'll be glad when the start up side effects scram!! Susan

• Posted

It was the rhuemetoid factor that was really high. And since October I've been taking high doses of calcium and vitamin d but both are still really low

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.