Rib pain

Posted , 40 users are following.

is rib pain a common symptom of menopause?  I've had this on and off over the past couple of years - I've had two chest X-rays showing nothing.  This last week it's been pretty painful specially when lying down - does anyone suffer from this?

5 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Sophie

I get this ... it's my left bottom rib and it has actually started to bulge out a bit - noticed it first when lying on my back - left side higher than right.  Told doc and a physio who pressed on it ... all ok they said.  I've had chest x-rays for other things and no-one has noticed anything untoward on them re the rib or i am sure they would have said.  The niggles of pain come and go.  I have loads of other stuff going on as well: i've grown an adams apple, tinnitus, slight breathlessness - won't bore you with all the investigations as I am replying about rib pain, but feeling pretty fed up with everything, and no explanation to any of my symptoms really.  Bloods all 'fine' LOL.  I'm 51 and still have periods.

Have you got any other symptoms that you can share?

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan thank you for your reply - I've had this rib pain for about 4 yrs  now - it comes and goes and had lots of tests mainly two X-rays but it can be quite painful but very short lived so my mind begins to wonder if it's something doctors have missed.  I also have tinnitus but I've had that for years but it has got worse, I've also had the breathlessness which is horrid and two days ago I had an off balance feeling and felt faint whilst driving (not funny) but that quickly went, I have leg pain which comes and goes and sometimes I hobble and then I'm completely fine - my pain is predominantly on my right side - it is very boring all this - I'm 49 and haven't had a period since January - since this happening the anxiety has gone as that was thru the roof - so that's a good thing.  I'm not taking anything - I just think certain meds add to the problem and since my periods have disappeared for now I'm feeling a lot better in myself - I have a medical every year which includes mamo, trans vaginal scans, smear and a load of bloods - these were all fine - I have a few follicles left on my ovaries so I know the period will be back at some stage but goodness knows when! Thank you for yr reply again Susan and have a good day x

• Posted

hi, did the dr say what the pain is or was caused from? I am experiencing this now.

• Posted

hi Susan,

I started feeling this a couple months ago, soreness and pain in my left bottom ribs. First i thought i was overdoing my yoga twists. it was ok for a bit. i have also been going through a stressful work environment which brought onanxiety and gastric issues.

i have also been feeling dull pain on the surface of stomach on the left side which moves around. now i feel the pricking pain under the bottom left rib. i dont know what to make of it. not sure how helpful the gp will be. working on positive thoughta/affirmations to heal

• Posted

Hey there, just checking if you ever got any answers to your issue with your left rib pain. Im experiencing the same at the moment. many thanks chalky

• Posted

hi there so sorry i missed this. it eventually went away with time. it also helped i quit my horrible job and been slowing things down w my workouts.

now different symptoms have come 😦 like head pressure and fatigue. one day at a time! it will be better for all of us Praying

• Edited

Hi I'm 49 have had the same problem for a month went to ER thought it gallbladder as I was nauseous too...had bloods scan xray all clear said my colon overloaded.... sorted that but ribs pain on an off terribly cant lay on right side it hurts....doctor said it's like arthritis of the cartridge between ribs....said it very painful....but with peri meno I've had so many new aches it crazy....

Goodluck

• Edited

Thank you Michelle - it's comforting to know others are suffering from the same sort of things - it does ease the concern. My rib pain gets worse if I'm drinking too much caffeine and general overindulgence so a detox is in order I think! Thank you again - sorry to hear you suffer from this too - I hope it gets better soon x

• Posted

Hi how did you treat your overloaded colon ?

• Edited

I started with left upper back pain near my shoulder blade and then pain in my ribs. It was like my ribs were being squeezed. I had trouble breathing in and it was worse when I laid on my sides. I'm noticing this is slowly getting better since I'm on BHRT. So it must be peri related.

• Posted

Suzanne I've had this too - painful sharp pain in shoulder blade - I've also had the 'winded' feeling in the hollow of my back - that was awful - general rib pain from top and all the way round to breast bone - it will go I just wish it would stop coming back time and time again - have a good day and thank you for your comment x

• Posted

did you have a diagnosis at all? this is what I am experiencing.

• Edited

Could be costochondritis. Many people have this. There is no treatment but at times can be scary. Usually hurts more when you put pressure to the area that is hurting. You can look it up and read more about it.
    • Posted

That's exactly what my doctor said I have....very painfull to push on ribs...but getting gallbladder checked is good idea cause it causes pain under rib cage and certain things you eat make it worse......

• Edited

Hi Sophie,

Please give us more information.  Where's the pain in your ribs?  

• Posted

Hi Lynda it's like a dull ache on right hand side rib cage - the ache moves about and it doesn't hurt to touch - it can be quite high up in line with boob area or higher following top of rib cage into armpit area and then it can be felt in lower part of the lower rib cage - always right hand side. It comes and goes - what I mean as it will disappear for several weeks, months even and then comes back but it wakes me early morning - kind of sore ache - once I am up and about I don't feel it at all throughout the day - I've had X-rays x 2 a year apart - I've been given pain killers but don't really take them unless I have to and that's about it!

• Posted

Hi, Sophie.  X-rays aren't the best.  You should have an ultra-sound.  Also, try to get a referral to a gastroenterologist, who will know what tests to order and how to diagnose and treat you.  When it comes to gastric issues, GP's can be pretty clueless.  xx

• Posted

I know - had X-rays to check lungs - had an ultrasound to check kidneys and liver earlier this year. Had all bloods. Was referred to a gastroenterologist who scanned me everywhere last year - gallbladder, liver, kidneys and then suggested I have CBT - so all really helpful. It's always exacerbated if I've had caffeine or alcohol - so now going to detox - doctors for me haven't been too helpful but thank you for your advice x

• Edited

My ribs didn't hurt to touch either. Neither the pain in my back. X-rays, ultrasounds, bloodwork, all fine, except for the second u/s showed bad gall bladder. But still had the issue after it was removed so it wasn't the problem either. The pain is now in my shoulders, sometimes neck. Breathing is still not completely normal. The rib tightened is gone. Now I have tremors in my upper back that come and go. Sometimes I feel a sickness in my stomach that then travels up my back. Maybe hot flashes without the hot? So many whackadoodle symptoms. Not one normal day since August!!!

• Edited

Have you tried antiinflammatories? Also if you like the natural approach, tart cherry juice is also a great natural anti inflammatory. Unfortunately for me the pain is always in my left chest, which sometimes is so bad it feels like heart problem. I just have to keep telling myself what it is and not get all anxious about it. Well good luck figuring this out.
    • Posted

I actually ended up at the emergency room once thinking it was my heart, it turns out it was a vertebrae out of alignment. I was told to see a chiropractor. After being adjusted I have never again suffered from the chest pain on my left side.
    • Posted

what was the diagnosis? this is what I am experiencing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.