Scabies Help Needed Please!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have used 5 treatments of Permethrin and one of Malathion. I have been using sulphur soap for months. All seem to help at first but then it comes back.  I saw an expensive private dermatoligist who said "There is no evidence of live scables"   (We have moved into an old house in November and it started then)... not sure if this could be relevant, but I know someone else who got it after moving into an old house, but this seems to defy what the professionals say is possible.  We have just been away for 3 weeks and it cleared up; we have been back 4 days and I have 4 new tracks.  I keep reading that the mites can't live for more than 76 hours wihtout a human host, so how come they are back when we have been gone for 3 weeks? They are an exact replica of scabies pictures. I thought of getting an exterminator in, but not sure what I am dealing with if it isn't scabies.  Can anybody suggest why this could be happening in this way? HELP!  Many thanks if you can throw any light on this; or suggest anything else it could be other than scabies so at least I can try other solutions... 

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Marylin,

it's has been my fist scabies treatment so I am unsure wether I can help you or not ... Mites should not survive more than 3-4 days  without a human host.  I heard nonetheless that some scabies resist the treatment, adapt, and can actually stay in your body longer. I am not doctor, so...

In France, you get pills that are much more effective than cream, I heard (I had to put permethrin cream 3 times already). Moreover, it is recommended to use a special spray or powder  to clean all your textile in the house, this includes rugs, armchairs and sofas, as well as your matress, and clothes that can't be  washed at 60 degrees. You put the powder in the plastic bins and let the stuff 3 days. You should also change bedlinen, towels, clothes daily up to 14 days after the treatment 

Well in the UK all the chemists would tell you that the spray doesn't help as it doesn't kill this type of acarians but as far as I know there is less scabies in France than in the UK... So it might help to get rid of it. 

I am still waiting for the spray (sent by family,lost by the postmail) so will tell you if it's effective... If I were you, I would also check up that it can't be anyelse carefully because the diagnostic is sometimes hard. And will take extra care of the matress. If it's infested, it has to be treated. I caught it from a bed at the hospital in france....

Good luck with your treatment, 

Marie

• Posted

Thanks Marie for tryign to help... My real issue is how did they survive for 3 weeks without a host whilst I was away?  That is what has got me completely confused...I have only been back 4 days and the tracks are back!
    • Posted

it's weird. Are you sure they disappear when you go away ? Can't it something else ?  bedbugs instead ? Or tiques ? 
    • Posted

Yes they compeltley cleared up after a week of being away... I have looked up bedbugs and apaprnelty they don't make tracks like burrows on the skin.  I don't know about tiques though.. what are they?
    • Posted

ticks are also acarians that go under your skin, but usually catch dog and not humans, also humans can be a target . If it goes whan you leave then it means it's maybe not scabies especially if the treatment does not help. I am surprised because bedbugs leaves very similar spots to scabies, mosquitoe like bites on the skin... Good luck 
    • Posted

I just looked up tiques... they are bites as opposed to burrows... thanks for trying though.. Here's an image
    • Posted

it does not look like my scabies spots. ... You definitely need to see a good dermatogist again ! 

• Posted

Apparently it's the itching and the fact that they bleed so much that gives it away...here's another picture.. I have been taking them all the time to keep a record of it.. it actuallly drives you nuts!  Maybe the photos will alert someone to tell me what it is if it isn't scabies...
  • Posted

Did u have scabies, a positive diagnosis from a doc?
    • Posted

Yes, but when I returned after teh cream didn't work they were confused, so I went to a private dermatologist who said there was no evidence of live scabies... she couldn't tell me what the tracks were though...and they look exactly the same
    • Posted

Those just dont look like scabies marks. I agree they are odd for sure. You say they itch? Do any others you are close with have anything on them?
    • Posted

Here the other thing, how could they get back on you, hatch and leave track marks in the amout of time? I say get a skin scraping or culture to shed light on it.
    • Posted

I only live with my husband and he doesn't have any. However, he has ichthiosis and bugs never bite him.  It's a good point about the timings though.. maybe what I have is the female's tracks who hasn't hatched yet? I think a skin scraping is crucial now.  Many thanks. Marilyn
    • Posted

Skin scrapings are rarely accurate, if you can convince a doctor to do one. They will probably tell you you have delusional parasites( your mad basically) and deny the scraping. The live mites are not all over the body, although it feels as if they are. So the chances of scraping one off are unlikely.
    • Posted

They say there is enough residue left behind for them to tell, so I can only hope...but I take your point entirely..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.