scard mom of 11 year with 8x8x9 ovarian cyst to L side. Risk of a hemrage if surgery is performed.

Posted , 6 users are following.

My young daughter (11) you just recently started recieving her menstrual cycle in May, has developed a cyst on or over her left ovary with a large blood supply to said cyst. They don't want to operate at this point and they are not ruling out torsion. She was admitted this morning around 4 am 8/28/16 after going to 2 hospitals in the course of 6 hours last by ambulance. They are not really controlling her pain she recieved 4 doses of morphine which helped slightly (2mg) didn't start to work till 3rd dose in a span of 4 hours. She is a big 11 year old 5'7 160 lbs so you can understand why the amount of medication given. My fear is this thing will continue to rapidly grow they think it grew this large in a 2 month period because she just had a physical and no issues. Worried mother don't know if I should push for removal or not. Because of high risk for bleeding out. But her pain is unbearable and if there is torsion envoled then what???

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Did they say what type of cyst it is?

If it's a simple cyst, they very often go on their own...

• Posted

I think once they get over a certain size they have to do some sort of surgery anyways as it is unlikely it will reduce in size. Talk to the doctors and find out what options there are depending on the type of cyst x
  • Posted

If she has that large of a cyst and experiencing that much pain torsion of the ovary is likely the cause. Push for immediate MRI or laproscopic surgery. An 11 y/o should not lose her ovary due to the "wait and see" approach that seems to be prevalent in the UK where I assume you are.

A large blood supply feeding the cyst is letting it grow and likely will not go away on it's own. What do they want to do? Wait for it to get larger increasing her risk. She needs an expert gynaecological surgeon and appropriate safety measures to prevent bleed out.

Ask for a consult with the best surgeon. Push them, trust your instincts. Stay strong, you can do this.

Sending up prayers and hugs for you.

XXXX

• Posted

Do you know if its a hormonal cyst? Sometimes they grow rapidly they can go away on their own but most have to be removed by surgery. I hope they put your daughter on medication like they did with me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.