Scared beyond belief

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone,

32yo male here. In 2015 I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia for which I have been given PPI's.

After experimenting with tapering down the dose/s 3 months ago I started to experience chest pain (not heartburn). This landed me in A&E twice. ECG and bloods normal. Went back to a higher dose and the pain would not subside. Spoke to my gastroenterologist and he added Famotidine as well as PPI. Again, no difference. Enquired a upper gi surgeon regarding Nissen fundoplication and he sent me for manometry and 24hr Impedance test.

The nurse who performed my manometry said the muscles in my oesophagus "weren't great". I asked her twice if it was Achalasia for which she said it wasn't. I then asked what can be done about it and she said nothing. I asked her if this was a progressive condition/will I be able to live a normal life and she just said she couldn't answer that. She also said I would never be able to have Nissen with my eosophagus like this. I left the room in tears.

I am due to see my gastroenterologist for the results on Thursday and I am petrified. I know that whatever will be will be but the nurse really has put the fear of God into me. I asked my gastro's secretary if I could see him before this weekend and she just said that he wants me to let you know its okay to see him on Thursday.

On a couple of side notes. On cessation of PPI's (10 days) before manometry the chest pain got SO much worse. To the point that I had to stay off work. I had a Endoscopy in July which tested positive for H.pylori (antibiotic treated) and showed no mucosal damage but that the hernia was around 6/7cm. In 2015 it was 3cm.

Any ideas on what the outcome of this could be? Trying to prepare myself for terrible news 😦

Thanks for reading!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.