sciatica for 3 months

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi. I have been off work for 3 months with this, over this time my symptons have got worse. I cannot sit for more than a minute before pain, I cannot stand for more than 3 or 4 minutes or walk further than about 50 yards before i get pain in my ankle and in my bum, thigh and even my vagina. I take Gabapentin 900-1200 3 x a day, Naproxen 500mg x 2 a day, Tramadol 50mg x 2 a day  and paracetamol 1000mg 4 times a day which does nothing for my pain, i spend most of my time lying down as this is the only way I can be relattively comfortable. I Asked for stronger meds but was refused depsite the fact that when i got to the doctors I had to ask for somewhere to lie down because of the pain and the doctor had to come to me, i was crying all the time that i was there. I had my MRI scan on Sunday 12th April and have been seeing a physio for 2 months which hasn't helped, although he has been very supportive even phoning me when i have been unable to attend due to pain. At times i feel like my life  is not worth living, work are hassling me every week and i feel so low. I'm frightened that I will not get better from this and I will lose my job and then my home. The physio has advised me that I need to speak to my doctor as a priority as at times i have experienced some urine retention and have felt some numbness around my vagina but this hasn't happened for over a week now. Does anyone have any advice for merolleyes

4 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I suffered for 5 months and couldn't walk hardly because of the pain the worst mistake I made was to rest for to long and my back stiffened up, however painful try and keep mobile even if it's only for a few minutes at a time, I do know how you feel though it was the worst pain ever and I've had 3 children, I thought I'd never get better, you will get better but it does take time I had to have morphine patches in the end which did help, hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Hi Debbie. I do get up and have a walk up and down and do some gentle exercies from physio as well. I try to do his every 20 minutes but struggle some days. Yes i agree worse than childbirth and also because it is constant.GP won't give me morphine, although when I go again it might be worth asking. It's difficult becuase every time I go I see a different GP and can never see the one I prefer. Apprehensive about the scan results.
    • Posted

I agree it's worth asking again about the morphine patches some doctors might be more willing than others, I tried all sorts until I had to go on them, I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone, I hope your feeling better soon though Donna and get some relief from your GP
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie. Appreciate your message. it helps when it is from someone who knows about the pain.  lol
  • Posted

Hey Donna I had a flare up with my sciatica after my tkr when I went to the Dr. For this I was given preens one it's a steroid it helped me pain pills didn't do anything for the condition. I was given 13 pills took 3 day 1 3 day 2 tapering down every 2 days. Also I learned that this comes from the lower back you can also use moist heat on your lower back. I hope you get to feeling better the pain is out of this world cause u can't sit or get any relief. 😢😄
    • Posted

Thank you. I have not been offered this but worth asking. I am currently using a heat mat which I've had for a few days and I am finding that it is helping a little. I've actually managed to stand for 7 minutes today, going to try to beat that tomorrow.
  • Posted

Hey Donna that's predisone sorry bout error 
  • Posted

did you tried any chiropractic clinic?my simptoms are similar,but the pain I dont think is that high,still can walk around.I saw a chiropractic,had xray at the lower back and she says that I have lumbar transitional vertebra with inflamation of sciatic nerv .Mri is best to see your sciatic nerv and soon you`ll have an answer,but try also xray and a chiropractic clinic.she advice me to start with chiropractic and massage for 2 weeks/ 3 times then 1 month/2 times then 1 month once a week.I`ll start next week to see how it goes
    • Posted

Hi, no just a physio. I think that once I receive the results from the MRI that I am going to have to make some decisions about what i do next. Work are threatening to sack me if I am not back soon, so i need to do whatever I can to enable  me to get back there.

Thanks for your response it all helps

• Posted

Hi Donna. Patricia here. Narcotics do nothing to alleviate nerve pain. They dull your senses but that's about all. If you are experiencing bowel or bladder syptoms, one of the complications of a spinal cord compression. You do not state your age, but my guess is either lumbar stenosis or a prolapsed disc. In your case with having trouble sitting for any length of time, and the difficulty walking very far, I would say that one or the other is caused by some defect of the L4-L5&S1. My problem was both and I opted for surgery rather than become wheelchair bound in my reitement. Iam 67 yrs old and very active. I was a full time Ortho Trauma floor RN until last May, when I decided to take retirement and do something constructive about by back. I will tell you what used to work for me and you can try any or all to see if it works for you. The only meds I took was anti-inflamatory OTC Ibuprophen 600 mg every 8 hrs on the 3 days per week that I worked. I used a gel cold pack under one of those black back braces they give men that have to lift heavy things all day at work. I purchased a swivel seat for my car so I could get in and out without twisting, and I prayed to the good Lord to give me the strength to go on, because I too would walk in my house saying, "please, just shoot me!" To who? Absolutely noone....I live alone. I rarely cry, yet found myself reaching the full to the brim mark on the flood gates. You feel relief when you lay down because you have removed the pressure off of the nerves that are being pinched. Is it worse on one side than the other? Mine was both sides. Well, Donna, I hope that I haven't confused you too much. I hope you learn exactly what is wrong with you when you get the MRI results. Go to your next dr appt with a list of questions you need to ask as well as the entire list of the meds you are on. 1200 mg of Neurontin in unheard of. If that isn't helping, they need to take you off of it and may try something else. Have you tried Lyrica? I am no fan of it, but it is specific to nerve pain. Also, how about Lidocaine patches? You would have to be able to point out a specific spot that is causing you pain for that one to work. I hope you feel better and please stay in touch.

Patricia

• Posted

Thanks Patricia. I will hopefully get the results from the MRI this week . My pain is in my right side, the worst in my buttock and ankle. If I stand for 3-4 minutes the pain increases and I have to lie down, even then the pain is still there but not as bad. A swivel seat for the car would definately be a help but at the moment I am unable to drive. I will look into it though for the future as getting out of the car was a big problem. I started on Oromorph yesterday, I know that this is just masking the problem and  desperately want a solution. Did you have an operation in the end? On one hand I hope that the scan shows what the probem is but on the other it worries me what it might mean next. I'm hoping it will be something simple to reslove. How are you now? I am 49 and live with my 18 year old son. I have always been very independent and enjoy gardening so I am struggling to ask for help and frustrated that I can't do things for myself and cannot get out into the garden. Donna
  • Posted

H Donna, I have had sciatica down my left leg for 5 years, mine is caused by a disc bulge irritating the nerves at L5/S1. I was given physio first, then acupuncture, then steroid injections, then foraminal epidurals, which initially helped. I'm now waiting for a fusion as nothing is helping anymore. I'm lucky that my work allow me to sit down of stand when I want. It's a horrendous pain to live with, and hope you can get some help soon.
  • Posted

Donna ,I've had this now for 9 yrs this July ,I thought it was Gyne menopause symptom ,or Levator syndrome ,which if you look it up is as similar to sciatica ,along with the Gyne ,think another name given for Levator is Cyclist syndrome ,lost count how many drs I've mentioned this to ,over this 9 yr period ,I'm okay standing ,I can walk with it ,but to sit ,well asking the impossible for any length of time .I find to sit in a car agony ,which then turns into anxiety ,due to the Gyne you mentioned .Ive sat on cushions ,a doughnut cushion ,nothing's helped .

Mine began after an illness ,where I lost a lot of weight ,over 4stone in 4 months ,i lost muscle wastage ,to this day ,I've never got that muscle back ,all I do is wriggle in a chair ,never can get comfortable ,due to pressure ,down to backs of my legs .Most painful a condition .Will keep looking in on this thread .

• Posted

An udate, results of the MRI shows a bulge between the L5 and S1 and I have now had a referral sent by the GP for surgery. I am still unable to do anything other than lie down so I don't feel there is much choice but hopefully this will work and I will be able to get back to my old life.
    • Posted

Hi Donna. Wonderful that you can now sww a light at the end of the tunnel of pain you have been existing in. It makes sense that S1 woulod be involved if you were having leg and butt pain as well as not being able to tolerate walking for more than a few. My guess is that you find yourself leaning forward when you walk too. ? typical "old persons" ambulatory position is a dead giveaway to the medical people. Just remember (even now) no lifting anything over 5 lbs, twisting or bending over if you want to ease your episodes of pain. Ice pack or gel cold pack to the lower spine can help a lot too. The not to twist thing is why I suggested getting the swivel seat....maybe you can't frive right now, but who is to say that you cannot be driven by someone else...say your son. You don't have to put it in the driver's seat...passenger seat will work too...and so do any of the hard backed chairs you have in the house. I often use mine when I am at my computer desk. Be inventive...they are there to make your life easier and less painful.

Good luck and you can get to almost any of us at a moment's notice just by doing what you did tonight. Keep me up on how you are felling ad the progress toward surgery. There is 18 yrs difference in you and I and if I can do this, so can you. Just listen(to the doc)follow the rules to the letter, respect your restrictions and be patient. It took you awhile to get to this point, and it is going to take a while for you to be back to the art of living. Recovery is hard..I won't lie, but when you weigh the pros and cons, doing what you are told will benefit you in the long run...not them. It has been a few weeks short of 6 months for me and I still have my "sore days". Am I discouraged? Heck no! When I think back to the terrible pain and the ADL handicaps I had before surgery, this little soreness is nothing at all. SHAKE IT OFF!!! Lol

Good luck and get some sleep if you can....you are closer to a resolution to this pain than you ever have beeen. Imagine the folks out there that think you are the luckiest person going bc they still haven't heard a word and you have. Congratulations.  confused

• Posted

thanks Patricia. The swivel seat is something i am going to get. Thanks for the info on that and I am taking it steady with everything I do. I appreciate you message very much lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.