sciatica for 3 months

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi. I have been off work for 3 months with this, over this time my symptons have got worse. I cannot sit for more than a minute before pain, I cannot stand for more than 3 or 4 minutes or walk further than about 50 yards before i get pain in my ankle and in my bum, thigh and even my vagina. I take Gabapentin 900-1200 3 x a day, Naproxen 500mg x 2 a day, Tramadol 50mg x 2 a day  and paracetamol 1000mg 4 times a day which does nothing for my pain, i spend most of my time lying down as this is the only way I can be relattively comfortable. I Asked for stronger meds but was refused depsite the fact that when i got to the doctors I had to ask for somewhere to lie down because of the pain and the doctor had to come to me, i was crying all the time that i was there. I had my MRI scan on Sunday 12th April and have been seeing a physio for 2 months which hasn't helped, although he has been very supportive even phoning me when i have been unable to attend due to pain. At times i feel like my life  is not worth living, work are hassling me every week and i feel so low. I'm frightened that I will not get better from this and I will lose my job and then my home. The physio has advised me that I need to speak to my doctor as a priority as at times i have experienced some urine retention and have felt some numbness around my vagina but this hasn't happened for over a week now. Does anyone have any advice for merolleyes

4 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Donna,

i'm in the same boat it seems, and what you say about urine retention seems to be something I have, do you find that this is the case when your pain is at its worst? What I mean to say is when you are getting moments of better pain relief is it easier to empty your bladder? 

I find that the intense spasms from the pain are what cause my retention, sometimes it takes me around 5 minutes to empty my bladder!! But when I am getting good pain relief I am able to go easily.

Currently i'm not mobile at all, unable to walkand like you get moments where I feel life is pointless as it is. 

Have you tried some lower back and foot heat therapy? I use a heat pad on my lower back and a hot water bottle on my foot and this calms the intense buzzing down a little. Hot showers are good for me (i'm perched on a little stool as I can't stand up) direct the shower on to your problem zones.

Regarding your meds, do you take your Tramadol together with Paracetamol? I find that double dropping my meds at the same time has a better result rather than the drip feed method of one at a time. 

You may want to ask your GP about Lidocaine patches (if you havent heard of them) they are big sticky plasters loaded with lidocaine (local anaesthetic) you stick them to areas that yu get most pain and they drip feed the meds in through your skin. You wear them for 12 hours at a time. It's worth a shot if you can get a prescription for them. 

Best of luck and hope things improve for you soon.

smile x

• Posted

hi yes the urine retention for me is exactly as you've described . I have a electric heat pad that i put under my back whilst I am lying down. I cannot sit or stand for more than a few minutes 3-4 so bathing is very difficult. however now that i am on morphine I can manage to get in the bath and can get into a position lying down however i have to wash my hair and everywhere else in that position. It's very difficult.  Thanks for your message lol

• Posted

Hi Donna, It doesn't sound like you have had much improvement. I'm doing acupuncture now and the first tester session was amazing, the second not so much! But my third is today and i'm hoping for good results. I'm now booked in for surgery (waiting list 4 months) so i'm trying to get by day by day.

It's tough going and now i've started to have daily spasms and fits from the intense pain and medication withdrawal. 

I hope you have a good future plan in action and that you aren't waiting for a cure for too long. Hang in there and i'm sure oneday we will all be well again and life will be even better than before as we will have a new appreciation of a pain free life! 

Stay well, we are all here to support each other! 

Rachel smile

• Posted

Hi Rachel. I didn't answer your question in the previous message about meds. I am now on oromorph, gabapentin and naproxen. Just wondering about you as you said that you are having medication withdrawal, are you off meds completely?

I had some good news on Thursday I have an op booked for the 27th June. I have been so lucky as I saw the consultant on the 11th May after being referred by my GP on the 24th April. I was given the option for the op at a private hospital doing NHS work  which i only chose as the other option they gave me wasn't listing any appointment times. The consultant told me that the hospital I'm going to has a shorter waiting list and that I would normally have had an appointmnt in 4 weeks but he had 2 weeks annual leave booked which has made it longer. I feel quite positive now as in 5 weeks I'll be on the way getting my life back. cheesygrin .

I agree that after having this level of pain I doubt I'll ever moan over a few aches and niggles.

I hope that you aren't waiting too long for your appointment to come through.

Let me know how you get on

Donna lol

• Posted

Donna, The withdrawal symptoms come when my Tramadol is next due...i'm currently having severe spasms like a mini fit twice daily. I think it is my bodies way of dealing with the intense pain and also when the pain relief kicks in the spasms drop away. Tramadol is a very addictive and powerful drug that has a heap of side effects and own set of problems. I have little choice though I need to take it as it's about the only thing giving me some pain relief! 

I'm glad your op came through quick, you can be  my guinea pig and let me know how it all goes and tips for recovery etc! I've heard from a good friend who had a private op that recovery time is quite long. 4 weeks of not being able to sit down, and 6 weeks before you are anywhere near mobile again. I've got my dream holiday booked for the end of July which we booked back in January when my pain was manageable...we tried to cancel it but not only would we lose the deposit but they wanted to charge us for the flights and part of the accomodation. It was so much money that I thought i'd take my chances and go anyway. I hope i'm well enough for the flight. once i'm there i'll be fine because I can just relax in the pool and sunbathe! Most likely i'll get back and I may then hear about my operation date. At least then a bit of sun and sea may be what I need to give me a bit of a boost.

It's been tough these past 2 months being stuck indoors whilst everyone else is out in the sunshine. I'm a real sun lover so this is hell for me....waited all winter for the summer and i've missed half of it already! 

I'm looking forward to your post op news when you come on here and tell us all that you are free of pain and it's the best thing you ever did!

Here's to a pain free Christmas for us both! 

Rachel smile

• Posted

Hi Rachel.  Yes I was on Tramadol before the morphine which I suppose is just as bad. I feel the same about the good weather, I love gardening and I am so frustrated to look out of the window to see all of the weeds in my borders sad

The consultant told me that I have to restrict sitting for the first two weeks to meal times and the toilet and that a return to work for a pen pusher like myself is usually 4 weeks, as I will be able to get up and walk around every so often, and to help this to do the exercises from the physio. The leaflet he gave me also says to have plenty of protein and vitamins to help my body recover before the op and after. I might at least be able to have a few good weeks of summer where I feel well enough to potter in the garden.

I hope that you do manage to go on your holiday and you feel ok.

I will be your guinea pig  and give you any tips that I can. I think the main thing right now is to remain positive. I don't want to ever have the pain of the last 6 months ever again and will be thankful to get back to all the things that I have missed.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Donna x

• Posted

I had my L5 S1 Microdiscesctomy on the 27th June 5 days ago. Everything seems to be going well. I am taking paracetamol and codeine if required and will be slowly coming off Gabapentin. The only thing that is bothering me is how achey my legs feel, but I am guessing that this is because I am standing and walking a bit more than I was a week ago. Last night's heat didnt help either. The consultant told me that it was the tightest nerve entrapment that he can ever remember seeing/releasing. I can very slightly feel an ache at the buttock where I used to have  severe pain and still a little numbness in one of my toes but I was told that this is normal. So far so good.cool
    • Posted

HI Donna, That's fantastic news, i'm so pleased for you! 

In this intense heat i'm really suffering with sweats and breathlessness from the mediaction combined with the heat. But on the plus side the sunshine has helped me get more mobile. No news at my end yet regarding my op and it's now been 14 weeks since they told me 4 months for the op! No surprises there though, i'm not expecting to get seen for a while yet.

I guess you are achy because you are probably using the muscles in your legs that haven't been used for a while. Don't overdo things with the walking as you don't want to risk a relapse. Take it gently and enjoy life with less pain! Enjoy the summer and keep me updated with how things work out over the next week. 

BIG SMILES! :D 

Rachel 

• Posted

Just an update on how things are going. 18 days since Microdiscectomy and feeling a bit better every day. I have been struggling with depression quite bad for the last week which has been my main problem. Maybe it's that I put so much into the operation solving every thing and the reality is that after months of being inactive and lying on a mattress all day that I now have to build my strength back up and struggle with stamina. Coming off the Gapapentin has been very difficult too affecting my sleep, this affected me more than stopping the Oromorph. In addition I have had months of worry about losing my job. It is lovely to be able to sit for short periods but have soreness in my tail bone, I'm sure this will get better. So for now I can say that I am definately on track with my recovery. cheesygrin 
    • Posted

Great news...this is what I want to hear! 

I'm sure the depression relates to the med withdrawal. 

The strength will come back, you have to be patient with yourself. And don't overdo it...i've heard of people reherniating after their op becasue they felt amazing and pain free so went crazy with what they were doing ie too much walking, exercise etc.

Have you thought about some swimming? Did you ever have hydrotherapy? If not it could be good to talk to your GP about a course on the NHS. Most hospitals have a hydro pool and a few sessions could help you slowly build up your strength and stamina without fear of injury.

Anyway i'm so happy for you and hoping my op date comes through sooner rather than later, i'm sick of feeling like this. It's been so long I can't remember life without pain! 

Enjoy life Donna, and take it easy!

Rachel smile

• Posted

Hi. I'm taking things very steady, doing the exercises they gave me at the hospital, walking and pottering in the garden. Sitting for no more than 15 minutes in an hour but just trying to increase things gradually. I know this is bad but I have never enjoyed swimming. It feels so good to be able to walk without pain and you will get there too Rachel but it is so frustrating that people are left in pain for so long. I am so very shocked at how many young people have this problem too, have read about so many on this site and really feel for them as at 49 I would expect some degeneration but not at 17. Mind you my brother had to have a discectomy when he was 23.

The information i had given to me said to expect some twinges,pins and needles and even numbness in places where i had problems before the op and not to be scared that I had done too much. Also post op swelling can cause the same symptoms. I have been getting back ache but at the top which again is normal due to changing posture. Actually booked to have my hair cut next week, not had it done for 6 months so that will hopefully make me feel better. I think it's really important for people to know what to expect after the op and hope my updates help.

Thanks for your support x

• Posted

That's great to hear that you are getting back there. It's really put my worries at rest as all i've heard are negative posts about surgery and it's good to hear the positive outcomes.

I've tried everything going to help myself and it's been 9 months of pain now so if i'm not self healing by now then there's not much hope. 

I know that surgery is the only way forward for me, I just want it to happen now so I can get on with my life. 

Enjoy what is left of the summer Donna and enjoy your pampering at the  salon...you deserve it! xx

• Posted

Hi Donna. I have also been off work for 3 months due to Sciatica. I have had symptoms since February and did my best to continue working but due to the nature of my job I couldn't keep it up as I'm in/out the office continually or sitting at my desk writing lengthy reports or attending meetings.  I have been receiving physiology for 9 weeks making no difference, prescribed Naproxen, Gabaphentin and Tramadol which has little impact on pain.  I can't sit for long and when walking get pins needles and pain.  My left foot is numb as Is The outside of my thigh and my physio informs I have no ankle reflex.  I was referred for an MRI Scan on the advice of my Physio but still waiting for an appointment (was only 2 weeks ago). I can't sleep for long. I am fortunate that I get paid full pay for 6 months and half pay for 6 months and my manager is very supportive.  I feel,exhausted but trying to keep mobile but really hard due to pain.  My GP stated I probably have a prolapsed disc(s) and may require surgery which scares me big time. Does anyone how long do you normally wait for an MRI Scan. Any advice suggestions would be appreciated. 

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie. I was referred for my MRI on a Monday and had received a letter by the Friday of the same week, the appointment was for 3 weeks later. I have been on full pay for 6 months and started on half pay last week but going in on the 27th July. Work may have agreed to pay me but they have been far from supportive, so it's good to hear that your manager is treating you right. My op was on the 27th June and went well.

I used a heat pad which did help a little but for me I didn't get much relief from pain with medication. Had Oromorph for the 2 months before the op and this made me more comfortable but spent my time on a mattress on the floor.

Hope you get your scan soon.

• Posted

Hi Donna

Glad your op went well. I'm also not getting much relief from medication. I find standing under a very hot shower to be good. My hubby says he can't believe how hot the shower is but it's the only thing that gives me comfort. I haven't heard anything re scan yet. Giving it another couple of weeks before chasing up. I have received a letter today advising I have to go for a medical with my employer (local council) but my husband who is a Team Leader for the same council says it's not an actual medical more a chat but still anxious as on the 20 years I've been employed with the council I have never been called for a medical mind you this is the longest absence I've ever had.

How did you been following the surgery?

Anyway fingers crossed I get my scan soon meanwhile it's going to have to be meds.

• Posted

I know how you feel, I have had weekly phone calls from work and meetings at my home as I was unable to travel in. I have worked for central government for 28 years and the way they have quizzed me it's like they believed that \i had a choice about being off. I too spend a lot of time sitting in my job. They Even said that if I could get into work even if I spent my time in the sick room that it would be ok.

Today has been a good day and have been pottering in the garden, finally feel like I am getting my life back. For me surgery has been the most fantastic thing, to have the pain go away straight away is unbelievable. It takes a while after surgery to start feeling normal again but this is due to coming off meds and having the general anaesthetic. I've followed advice from the hospital and haven't done anything to risk my recovery.

Be careful and hope you get your scan soon.

• Posted

Hi Donna, glad the op went well and your beginning to feel better, good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.