Sebaceous Cyst on Penis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 25 and have a sebaceous cyst on the shaft of my penis, which my dr has referred for me to get removed. Can anyone give me a detailed account of the procedure and recovery?

What does the procedure involve, where does the local anesthetic get injected, did it hurt, how long was the procedure? Was their stitches? How was the recovery, were there problems with the stitches in that area with erections? How long did it take to heal? How long were u "out of action" was there any scarring? A lot of questions I know, but any info is appreciated.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi michael,

my boyfriend had the exact same thing for nearly a year before doctors eventually agreed to surgically remove it. They refused at first until he said it was getting him down and we had a non existent sex life. we were basically nuns cheesygrin

He went for pre op and was told that he would be awake during whole procedure, like you he was a bit hesitant as to where the needle was going to numb said area wink, he requested he be knocked out for it and just said he had the biggest phobia of needles and there would be no way he would be able to be awake during it. After insisting a bit more they agreed to give him a general anesthetic.

Op was literally 15 minutes, scaring is no more than a cm on his shaft, just one small incision for them to remove it, he was a bit sore after it but said it wasnt as sore as he'd thought it would be, (this is a guy who has to lie down for 5 hours after stubbing a toerolleyes). He was fine after 3 days just a bit tender.

Got surtures out after 9 days and by day 14 

Dont worry about it, and if your not sure about being awake during it, just request to be put to sleep for it, let me know how you get on and i hope any info above helps you out in some way x

• Posted

Thanks. Getting it done this week. It's an in room procedure so don't think I have the option of a general. Will let you know how it goes.

• Posted

ah okay, dont worry about it, hope all goes well.

good luck x biggrin

• Posted

I went and had mine surgically removed yesterday. The cyst I had was quite small prob less than 1cm and was located on the under side of the shaft.

Just thought I'd give a detailed account since there's no much info around about this.

It was done at an in rooms procedure not in a hospital. I arrived, went into the room and sat on the chair. Dr told assistant that she wasn't required, due to the procedure being quite simple and for privacy reasons.

Dr positioned chair and asked me to pull down pants and underwear so area was exposed. Placed that surgical paper towel stuff over legs and under scrotum and another across the abdomen area, pretty much just leaving penis area exposed. Explained what he was going to be doing and then started.

First up was administering the local anesthetic. I was initially worried about this but was fine. I could barely feel the first needle, and after that it was numb and I didn't feel the following injections. I think he administered 4 injections into the skin directly around the cyst. Then went around and administered another 4 in the same areas. Waited for 5 mins for the anesthetic to kick in, tested the area and I said I couldn't feel anything so moved on to the next step.

He stuck down the surgical pad which is basically a sterile pad with a hole cut in to which my penis wen through. He cleaned the area and put betadine all over the penis, and then marked up where he was going to cut.

I looked away for the most part while the procedure was being done. The actual cutting part literally only took a couple of minutes. He removed the entire cyst intact and quite easily.

He then stitched the incision. I didn't get told how many stitches I got, but there were some internal and external stitches. I was surprise about the stitches due to the small size of the cyst, I wasn't even sure if I would have needed stitches. The stitches took about 5-10minutes.

He then applied tape over the stitches and water proof dressing pretty much a big bandaid.

All up from the time I got into the seat to the time I left was about 30mins. About 10mins prep and anesthetic, 5mins cutting and 10mins stitches and dressing.

The Dr was really cool and the procedure wasn't as awkward as I expected. I was more nervous in the lead up, but was fairly relaxed once I was sitting in the chair.

External stitches take up to 5 days to dissolve, internal stitches take up to 6 weeks! ?? He said no sex or sports etc for 4 weeks. I wasn't expecting the recovering process to take so long. I thought maybe a week and then it would be pretty much back to normal. But no.

He said that the skin might take a few months to get back into shape, said something about the internal stitches were anchored to some tissue so I might be able to feel a lump in there for a few weeks and that the incision may not look even now but it should stretch back into shape in a few months, which I am a bit worried about. I went through this procedure to get rid of a small lump, I don't want it replaced with another lump or ugly scar. I will see how it progresses though.

The anesthetic lasted for about 5 hours, after which it started to sting, almost like burning. Took two panadine forte that he prescribed, but that didn't really make any difference, so it made for a restless nights sleep last night. This morning I took another two panadine forte and again didn't seem to stop the stinging feeling, not unbearable but can feel it. He also gave me 5 days worth of antibiotics to take to prevent any infection.

Have to go back for a follow up appointment in 7 days, at which time he will take the dressing off (if it hasn't fallen off beforehand).

I had try to subtly ask about the possibility of the stitches being a problem with erections through the night but he didn't really give an answer. Haven't had that problem as yet, probably cause it's still a little painful at the moment.

• Posted

Hi,

Glad the procedure went well and its over with.

Im not sure exactly but going by my bf procedure he also had a small lump after the procedure due to dissolving stiches. It did take longer to go away maybe an extra 5 weeks but it did disappear, as for the scarring, it did look a mess at first but now the scar is about a cm long wouldnt even know it was there unless you were looking for it. Although the lump was still there it didnt interfere sexually or when he was erect.

At first after 2 weeks he was hesitant about being erect because he said it felt tight as if it might tear, first few times he was erect it didnt last long, just for fear that it was going to tear. he was also told 4-6 weeks before getting jiggy with it again, but in all honesty after about 3 and half weeks and him getting over the fear of it tearing he was fine. 

As for the pain, he was given solpadol only and antibiotics at first but phoned and requested something stronger due to sleepless nights.

Im glad its all by with for you and hope any info ive given is of any help biggrin

Happy Recovery x 

• Posted

Thanks for the info, was a great help! Hard to find info about procedures like this, and doctors don't seem to offer much info on the matter.

Just wish the recovering wasn't as long as it was....seems so long for such a small cyst/problem.

• Posted

Yeah your right, there wasnt any info on it when he went in either, and the doctors were quite evasive when asking about personal issues etc after the op.

The recovering is a bit of a lengthy process for such a small issue but worth it in the end, i suppose recovery is different for everyone just depends on yourself. Hopefully its a speedy recovery for you, doesnt usually take as long as doctors say, think its just precautionary timescales they give. biggrin x

• Posted

Will keep an update for anyone else that might come across this post and have a similar issue.

So it's day 4, don't have any pain at all now. I only used the panadine forte for the first and second night (didn't really make much difference) and haven't used any pain relief since. I have a fairly good tolerance to pain, but I don't feel any at all now.

Dr said to leave the surgical dressing on until my appointment with him in 4 days time. Can see blood on the dressing it so it seems weird that I don't have to change it, but I guess that's what the antibiotics are for.

Haven't had any issues with erections and the stitches as none have occurred, probably due to the big ass surgical dressing stuck on it.

Will update again after I get the dressing taken off by the Dr next week. By then the external stitches should have completely dissolved.

• Posted

Its good that you've no pain in such a short time of recovery, considering where it is.

As for the big ass dressing lol, it will no doubt come off on its own before your appointment, they usually give you gauze home to change if needed, it prob wont matter if its on or off as long as the wound is kept clean.

Hope all goes well! x

• Posted

Yeh Dr was saying he didn't expect the dressing to stay on 24hours, and gave me a cream to apply if the dressing came off. 5 days in and the dressing is still on strong. I emailed to confirm that he wants me

to keep it on til the next appointment, he said yes, which I still find weird, I always thought that dressings needed to be replaced quite frequently. Oh well will find out in 3 more days I guess.

Thanks biggrin

• Posted

Yeah it is rather weird, especially if you say you can see blood through the big ass dressing might be a bit sore when taking it off with it being on so long. 

If its loose might be best taking it off giving it a clean and applying the cream,and seeing if it looks alright, stitches etc, if its still on quite firm just leave it.x biggrin 

• Posted

Yeh it's still fairly well stuck on there, so I might wait for the dr to take it off, I also thought it might hurt taking it off after it being on for so long. Maybe he knows a less painful way to remove it. smile i am kinda keen to see how it has healed, hopefully better than expected. Still kinda worried about what I have read about some internal dissolving stitches, things about them not dissolving and hanging around in there for long periods of time and being able to be felt under the skin. Hopefully all good thou.

• Posted

Heres hoping he doesnt just rip it off like a plaster lol im sure you'll be fine. 

Wouldnt worry too much about the dissolving stitches, although they do take a bit longer sometimes it shouldnt affect sexual encounters. Also some folks think stitches havent dissolved and its actually scar tissue, it does smooth out fairly quick though. 

Docs always say, a healthy blood flow to the affected area increases healing, so once the dressings off and it feels alright get bumping uglies with the mrs, use the 'its helping me heal quicker' excuse biggrin (thats true btw!) 

Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say x

• Posted

One week later, I went back to get dressing taken off, and DR got the top dressing off and then decided to leave the bottom layer on as it was pretty well stuck on, and felt like it was starting to pull apart the area the stitches had been holding together when he tried to remove it. He said the other dressing will come off in its own time. He said once that comes off to put a strip of some other dressing on, and once that comes off it should be fine. He thinks it is half way healed already, not sure how he came to that conclusion when he couldn't see through the dressing.

He said the internal anchor stitches will take at least another 5 weeks to dissolve so I will be able to feel them under the skin for a while yet. I can't feel them now thou due to the dressing staying on. Due to some of the horror stories I've read about internal stitches not dissolving I asked that they would def 100% dissolve and he said yes, but I maybe feel a small bit of scar tissue under the skin when they go. I said I didn't want to trade one lump for another and he said that if there was a small bump to massage it or "use it", it being my penis. Lol. I'm not sure how that helps but will def give it a go. Hopefully it all heals without any drama - in 5 weeks time.

He said no "contact sport" for another 3 weeks, I think he was meaning sex but wanted to sound polite.

Got erect a couple of times in the past few days, and stitches actually didn't feel like splitting and wasn't painful, so maybe they have some element of stretch to them. Dr didn't mention anything about this, he is a plastic surgeon that said he doesn't have much experience dealing with cysts on penis' so I'm not sure if he knew what sort of information would be handy or not.

• Posted

Hi michael, glad it went ok biggrin. if the dressings bothering you in anyway id advise maybe going into a tepid bath to loosen it a bit, and reduce any aggro in taking it off.

The stitches do dissolve eventually but like i said, it is mistaken for scar tissue and does smooth out,if it bothers you try using bio oil to smooth it out if it takes any longer than the doctors timescales. 

Its good that youve no pain when hard, thats always a good sign and id agree it means that your healing well.

Maybe do as he says with the 'contact sport' though, just incase any problems do arise.

Chin up! 5 weeks will fly by x cheesygrin

• Posted

Haha yep I'm def going to take his advice on refraining from contact sport for another 3 weeks! I'd rather be a bit cautious and heal properly than jeopardize it in any way.

• Posted

Finally the second part of the original dressing came off last night, as you mentioned about ur BFs operation, mine too looks pretty banged up at the moment also, external stitches are still visible (although dr mentioned they would have dissolved in 5 days) and incision line looks heaps crooked (dr also said this should straighten up over time). Have put the new dressing on, will see how it looks once this comes off.
    • Posted

Yeah, it will look worse than what it actually is just now, its still at a raw early stage. If the dissolvable stitches are still there after 10-14 days, the doctor can remove them like other stitches, although they prefer them to dissolve on there own, if its bothering you, you can have them removed.

The incision line should straighten out once swelling subsides.

Although my bfs was only about a cm incision it did look like the surgeon had been drunk when cutting in biggrin,it wasnt straight, but once the swelling of scar tissue etc went away it did straighten out and go more skin coloured. We used bio oil to reduce the redness in the scarring and to smooth out the scar tissue and its worked a treat. x

• Posted

2.5 weeks now. The Hypafix dressing came off the other day after being on for a week. The external stitches are gone, the incision is like over an inch long for a cyst that was smaller than 1cm. Under the incision line feels really hard must be a combination of scarring and the internal stitches still being there, and there are two bumps either end which must be the internal anchoring stitches. I'm hoping that everything is almost back to normal in another 2 weeks, if not, I will start to doubt whether it was all worth it, as the cyst wasn't all that noticeable (except to me) where as the current situation is extremely noticeable, visually and even more so to touch.

I have put another hpyafix dressing over it, which will probably last for another week, just because it was annoying when clothing rubbed against it.

How long did your BF wait before applying/massaging bio oil into the area? I should be asking the Dr these questions I guess but he was quite dismissive with any questions I had on my follow up the other week, so that has kind of put me off contacting him.

• Posted

Hi michael,

dont worry, im happy to answer anything i can from our experience with it and hope it helps.

My bfs doctor was exactly the same when we were asking questions, it wasnt until i was phoning every other day to ask questions that i eventually got a lovely nurse who answered everything. She said what the doctors say are guidelines only. and not neccessarily correct.

It always looks much worse than what it actually will be once all scar swelling etc subsides a bit. The sensitivity will also subside a bit once you start 'using it' biggrin as the doctor says. 

We started using bio oil pretty much as soon as stitches and dressing was off. And after around 3 weeks, started 'using it' again, first time he said was a bit sensitive, but after that was fine. He was hesitant at first though because of the sensitivity and also because we were told no soldier sports for 6 weeks by the doctor. yeah right! frown The nurse on the other hand said, if he thinks hes ready, go for it.

He was told to keep the area covered and clean by the doctor but after 1-2 weeks he kept the dressing off completely as the nurse said letting the area breath a bit will aid in healing as long as its kept clean, and in all honesty, he felt and seen the benefits of having a few nude days and walking around in the buff when he could.  We started applying bio oil straight after the gauze was off completely and the stitches were out, 2-3 times a day. 

It really helped reduce the redness of the scarring and he used it for a few months and the scar is barely noticable, cant see it unless you look for it basically. 

Try not to worry, it will look a bit nasty and noticable just now because it is still raw, and still in the healing process.

It is a long process but it does get better biggrin chin up! x

• Posted

Thanks for that info. I went and emailed the a couple of questions (informing about the two lumps at either end, the hard and thick line under the skin and was it too early to start with the bio oil etc to try and start getting rid of the internal scar tissue) and he didn't answer any of them and just wrote "it's a long process that can take up to 12 months"?! If I had have known that at the beginning I prob wouldn't have bothered about going ahead with it. As I mentioned my cyst was quite small and was only really obvious to me, no one I had been with had ever pointed it out to me, so now with the current situation although he said no sex for 4 weeks, the reality is there's going to be no sex for up to a year or at least until all the internal stitches have disolved and the hard line under the skin has softened somewhat as its totally noticeable more so from touch then sight which would put people off. But it's done now so I'll just have to use ur advice and hope it speeds it up smile

• Posted

Yeah you can only try, the bio oil has worked great for him, and It will be sensitive but the more you use it the easier it will be.

I know you said it was only small and barely noticable but if you'd left it and not got it removed, dont know if it would have gotten bigger or caused more problems in the future, so you were probably right to get it removed while it was small.

Doctors are hopeless sometimes, we'd all be nuns and monks if we all followed there no sex advice biggrin

• Posted

I'm more concerned about the lump, hardening of scar tissue under the skin than on the outside of the skin, not sure if bio oil fixes surface scars or internal scar tissue but will give it a go.

• Posted

The scar tissue under the skin will be hard for a while, unfortunately that does take time sad, but it does go back to normal. Yeah the oil will help as it seeps into skin and under 2 layers of the skin near the raw area.

We had never thought of using it before, it was the nurse who told us to try it as like you he had same concerns. 

It didnt work miracles it was after about a week of applying, massaging and 'using it' that we started to see the difference, like i say he just kept using it as and when he could biggrin hope it has same effect for you, keep me updated x 

• Posted

Thanks again for the info. Despite him not answering my questions he's response did say I could book a follow up appointment if I wanted him to look at the wound, (well he hasn't seen it since the actual operation since the bandage was still on for the "follow up"wink. I'll wait til this dressing comes off and see how it goes. I'm kinda reluctant to bother he kinda made it sound like I'm making a deal about nothing (despite me only ever emailing him once with three questions post surgery, that he never answered) but maybe at least he could say whether it's healed enough for the oil and massage etc, the only time I've had stitches before is in my thigh and that seemed to be completely healed in a week or so.

• Posted

Yeah, id make an appointment to go see him once youve got the dressing off completely. As for making a deal about nothing,your not, he shouldnt be making you feel like that, afterall thats what hes there for, im sure he would be the exact same if it were his willy that went under the knife biggrin

But our doc was the exact same, quite evasive with our questions and got the vibe that he was quite uncomfy answering some of the questions, and i fed off that so continued with the million and one questions,but these were questions he should have been more than happy to answer. I think thats why he diverted all my phone calls to the nurse, he got fed up listening to me cheesygrin 

• Posted

I took the dressing off three days ago and the outside looks a lot better. Only thing is yesterday when I was at the urinal doing a pee, I must have pulled on the skin and then heard a popping noise which I think was one of the internal anchor stitches! The area was a bit painful last night and is only a light pain this morning. It's been three weeks, hope that it hasn't done any damage. Might give it a few more days and see how it goes, reluctant to contact the dr again.

• Posted

Hi, im glad its looking better. Yeah sounds like one of the internal stitches may have popped open, good thing is there dissolvable, and its been 3 weeks as you say so the internal tissue will have sealed back together, but if youve still pain in a few days definetly go get it checked out. Better safe than sorry. Im unsure if you have the option to request a different doctor, if you can you should. The one you have sounds like a right a*hole rolleyes , mind you ours was too, maybe its because of the area of the body there dealing with makes them feel uncomfy, or jealous biggrin either way, people should never feel like there bothering there doctors or wasting there time. Hope you dont have to get the doc but if pain comes back, dont hesitate to go in and see him. x

• Posted

Yeh I think they are uncomfortable dealing with that area. He wasn't my normal dr was a referral to a plastic surgeon as regular GP said to pay the money to get a better job done. He was fine during the actual procedure but the initial consultant and everything subsequent has been very short and not very helpful. Oh well hopefully it all resolves it self and I don't have to go back. still a bit painful since the popping sound but nothing unbearable.

• Posted

Yeah I'd maybe give it until after the weekend and if your still tender maybe go get it seen to. Better safe than sorry as they say. smile x

• Posted

4 or 5 weeks later, and the scar on the outside has settled down a bit. I tried putting bio oil on it but it leaves small white bumps afterwards which I think might be fordyce spots, they go after I exfoliate a few times, but I have stopped bio oil for now. The scar under the skin is still pretty noticeable to touch, I had started massaging it every now and again, but no noticeable difference yet. smile

• Posted

Hi, im glad the external scar has settled a bit. Does take time but at least your seeing a difference now. 

Yeah if you have fordyce spots id discontinue using the bio oil for the time being, at the same time though it could be dry/dead skin protruding after using the bio oil, as you say it goes away after exfoliating, just a thought but id stop using it for now. biggrin

The scar under the skin will take longer, usually due to anchor stitches the tissue inside will be raised a bit for those but if you keep massaging every now and then it will smooth out eventually. 

Glad its getting better and your seeing the difference though cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.