Second round of B12 injections? What's next?

Posted , 6 users are following.

About a month before Christmas I got a blood test and it came back saying I had very low B12. I had already been taking cyanocobalamin tablets twice daily, as well as folic acid, for the previous 6 months, but I'm guessing it didn't work as well as they'd hoped.

I knew something was up, because I'd been sleeping for at least 11/12 hours a night plus an hour long nap during the day. My confusion had been at an all time high (forgetting names of TV programmes I've been watching for years, street names, random words etc) and my depression had started to resurface again.

They set me up for 3 injections twice a week for 2 weeks. I didn't really feel a difference in terms of physical health as I was still tired, getting dizzy and whatnot, but I returned 2 weeks later and got my blood taken again and when I went back for my results, they said my B12 levels were at 93. 

So, here I am again, getting the injections 3x a week for 2 weeks, 1x a week for 4 weeks and 1x every 3 months. The injections don't seem to be helping (at least I don't think so) because my levels shouldn't have dropped that low within a few weeks.

Does anyone know what happens if I go back after these 10 injections and my levels are still really low?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Could be you have an absorbsion problem. I dont know a great deal about b12d myself, diagnosed august last year but i have learnt from others on healthunlocked forum. Normally when its not responding they talk about having to have infusions or more frequent injections.
    • Posted

Also some people respond better to a different format of b12. It unfortunately isnt a one size fits all where that is concerned, some can use cyan quite effectively, others hydroxo, many advocate methyl. As far as i can work out its how your body breaks down and utilises the b12 you have been given.
    • Posted

Try the pernicious anemea website too
    • Posted

I think they're checking to see if it is an absorption problem because they tested my intrinsic factor on my last blood test and are going to check it again after this round of injections are finished. 
  • Posted

You can be low in other things that are needed for the B12 to be used. For example ferritin and folate. Did your doctor check these? I suggest you have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website, there is a lot of information on there. Also any of the books written by Martyn Hooper, (founder of the Society), go into more detail about the condition.
    • Posted

I have a folate level of 2.4 and I think it's supposed to be around 4.5, so that could be causing issues, too. I have had my ferritin checked in a previous blood test (probably about 3+ months ago) and the Doctor didn't suggest that anything was wrong with that.
  • Posted

I'm still learning but, I have been told that Folate should be nearer to 15 (top end) to utilize the B12 properly.  I have bought some 5mg folic acid tablets from Amazon - my folate is 12.5.  It's worth a try!
  • Posted

Hey kcxo,

I've been told me B12 levels are "quite low" by a nurse after getting my test results back. (Not sure how you measure levels using the word 'quite') And my doctor put me on a months supply of cyanocobalamin to be taken once a day. But they don't seem to do much.

I'm replying because I am curious if whenever you eat dairy such as cheese, or eat meats such as chicken while being idle like watching television. Do you notice a build up of energy? I've got this thing where I will eat cheese and chicken because they make my symtoms lessen but whenever I do an activity like take a shower I lose all my energy and go back to feeling worse again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.