Self harm 'relapse'

Posted , 3 users are following.

I haven't self harmed in around 2-3 weeks, which was an incredible achievement for me as I usually do every day. Today I had a successful job interview - albeit I am turning the job down, arranged a dr appointment, saw a friend and came home. On my arrival home for whatever reason I felt overwhelmingly low and cut my self deeper than I have before, it still doesn't feel like enough, I want to do it again but deeper even still. I hate this feeling - how on earth do you stop feeling the need to self harm, I have tried everything, the urge doesn't seem to cease for long and depsite surpressing it for a while it is now back with a vengeance and I am worried it will go further. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi fee,

First congratulations on the success of your job interview. You sound really great.

And congratulations on making the doctor's appointment too.

I just want to share that after a successful job interview recently, I too felt really really down. It was on my birthday. People were really kind that day.

I think that after stress, like a job interview, where you get yourself really keyed up, it is really natural to feel depression afterwards. It is just your adrenaline letdown. I feel this every week after a week's work, everytime I get too excited. 

I don't feel the urge to self-harm myself, so I don't want to pretend I know much about it. I have heard that it's good to use ice cubes to create that intense feeling - hold them in your hand or against your leg, or whatever. 

I just go to bed and let the wave of cortisol pass. Watch TV. It's usually better by evening for me.

Honey, I am so sorry your mind is giving you such a hard time. Although I don't self-harm, I do feel really low, really like life isn't worth living when I am depressed. So sorry you are going through this. Of course you should go to a hospital if you are really feeling unable to stop yourself cutting deeper, right now I mean. 

Big hugs to you, again, so sorry you are going through this.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind and supportive words Jennifer smile I am feeling less intense now! Thankfully. 

Yes, you are right, events and situations can get a bit too much and it can be a little difficult to cope, your ice cube suggestion is a really good one! I've never thought of that before. smile 

Hopefully things will get better for all of us here, I suppose some days are just worse than others, thanks again for taking the time to reply to me smile 

x

• Posted

Hi Fee,

Congratulations on your recent successes! smile

I struggle with self harm too. It's not something I do regularly but when I'm on the edge of depression or in a highly distressed state, it's something I unfortunately have a tendency to turn to. I cut, burn or hit myself. For me it's a release, something that brings me back - physical pain to counteract the intensity of emotional pain or the void of depression.

For me, the scars distress me because they are a constant reminder of bad times. I would like to try and find a safe alternative to cutting.

I actually tried drawing on myself the other day with a brush pen on the stop I wanted to cut and found it oddly soothing. It also gave me something to focus on. I've also tried screaming at the top of my lungs into a pillow until I can't any more. I know some people snap an elastic band against their skin.

I'm glad to read that things are less intense for you now.

• Posted

Hi!

It's nice to speak to somebody who also harms, I have managed to cut down an awful lot, it seems to be something I do if things feel too overwhelming. 

I hate the scarring, it didn't bother me in the colder months but, now it is Summer and if I venture outside - or anywhere, I'm constantly quizzed on why I have a cardigan on or a coat on! Unfortunately the scars on my arm are too prevalent at the moment so I have to cover up, which I hate rolleyes 

I have heard about the drawing method, I'm glad it served some solace for you, it's something I will have to try. It's hard to do something to "take your mind off it" for me because when I feel the urge to harm I can't focus on anything else, the feeling just heightens. 

Luckily I haven't felt like harming since this initial post so, maybe the next time the feeling bubbles up I will think back to these comments and find an alternative! 

Thank you for your support and taking the time to reply smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.