Sensitivity to light? Dizziness when in dim light?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, does anyone get dizzy when in dim light or when you're in a dim area but the background is bright? Also is bright light like a sunny day hard on your eyes?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My symptoms of Meniere's are virtually non existent now but I can still be affected by a dim light at times which tends to throw my balance signals off ever so slightly and the same can occur with a really bright light.  Be interesting to note other people's experiences. I hope it doesn't affect you too badly.

• Posted

Hi Caryl! Thanks for the response. I haven't been diagnosed with anything but been to the doctors a few times but she always focuses on my blood pressure which is slightly elevated and she feels it causes the pressure on my ears and dizziness etc but I'm wondering if I should present minieres to her as a possibility. Generally I'm not crazy dizzy but have come close to going down on one knee a few times to avoid a fall. The most recent time was a couple months ago at the grocery store. I feel i get the most dizzy when light levels are dim or dim with the bright background especially if there is some movement close to me like if I'm having a conversation with someone close by. I'm just getting some options for my doctor because it seems that's how it goes these days lol. I will set an appt and see what te doc says.

Happy new year! Pat

• Posted

Not really anymore then I have always been. But fast flashing lights or flipping through my phone really fast on a bad day can bother me.
  • Posted

I have been told that your vision compensates for your ears. When I close my eyes, I loose my balance. Both senses tell your body where you are in space. I think that is why I don't like driving at night.

• Posted

I heard the same. Would be good to figure this out

Thanks for the reply!

Pat

• Posted

I have almost 0 balance in the dark. It's worse on days I feel off. Even when I close my eyes, I sway badly.

This past summer, I noticed the sun was so bright I couldn't walk. I had 0 balance then as well.

Dim light hurts my eyes the most so I try my best to avoid it.

I had a PT tell me that high blood pressure is a criteria of Menieres. So it's possible for you.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience. Bright sunlight is hard on my eyes and I get the darkest sunglasses possible. Nother sure if it's related but I've been like that for every. Have you been diagnosed with minieres?

• Posted

Orientation depends on three senses together: vestibular (balnance), vision and proprioception (body position, usually via touch).  If vestibular sense is lost, we become reliant on the other two.  Loose vision under some conditions, like what you describe, and then you loose orientation.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Doctor, My eyes are extremely weak with constant fulless and ringing in ears. I have no trouble with dizzy spells anymore. My question I have been through bout depression , so could my weak eyes be from either one or both.
    • Posted

I do not remember if you have been here before, but can you tell me your diagnosis?

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with menniers disease with right ear extremely effected. Fullness in both ears , taking beta-histamine, no salt , water pills, no balance problems practice exercises everyday. Been through bout depression due to change in life style, eyes weak.
  • Posted

BRIGHT LIGHT'S DEFINTELY SUCH AS ON SHOPRITE

• Posted

Several possible explanations:

1) When you say weak eyes, I do not know if you mean you have difficulty focusing, especially while walking.  The vestibular system plays a role here.

2) Sensitivity to lights.  Vestibular syndromes, though not vestibular migraine, may develop a small "migraine" component, even Meniere's Disease.

• Posted

happy new year to all.yes i have problems focusing,blurred vision,fullness an something burning of the inner ears,hearing volume up an down, i stumble a lot whoozi feeling an irritable

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.