sertraline and no sleep??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I'm nearly on 3 weeks of 50mg of sertraline, for depression and anxiety that was awful, depression fog has lifted a bit but my minx I still racing.

Thing is I'm not sleeping more than 2 or 3 hours a night, does anyone know if this gets better with time? I used to love my sleep and need a good 8 or 9 hours! So not enough sleep makes my anxiety come on a bit, and my minds race more! Ahhh just wish I could sleep, any positives on this would be great.

Thank you

Lattifa x

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,is that drug an anti depressant?Many times an anti anxiety med is prescibed with the anti depressant.Probably would also help you to get some rest,might want to ask the doctor about it.
    • Posted

Sertraline is an SSRI. I never had that problem with Sertraline but everyone is a little different in how they respond to it.

lattifa, did you start at 25 mg and dose up to 50 mg

• Posted

Yes I decided to do take half the dose for a week, now I'm nearly 3 weeks on 50mg on Thursday. Anxiety feels like it's coming back ??
  • Posted

Hi ive been on sertraline for nearly 9 weeks now 100mg, at first i could not sleep or eat like you and felt awful, BUT now im sleeping loads better and eating more it does take quite a while to get into you system so please hang on in there it will get better for you it just takes time.
    • Posted

Oh good to hear, I'm seeing my Dr this Friday, she may up the dose? Just worried I have to go through all side affects again, I'm just sooooo exhausted all the time 😞

Thank you

• Posted

Hi when i had my sertraline upped i did have the side affects again but no where as bad i started at 25mg then 50mg then 75mg now on 100mg which i have been on for just over 3 weeks, it does get easier you just need to find the right dose I promise you it will get better for you.
    • Posted

Oh god I hope so, it feels never ending, the depression has lifted a lot, its the anxiety and lack of sleep, getting me down. Were you on 3 weeks for each dose? Xx

And are you back to normal now?

• Posted

Hi yes i was on 3 weeks on each dose yer im nearly back to 100% i feel so much better, im able to go out and not panic or have hardly any anxiety, im back driving when i first became ill I couldn't even go to the front door and everything freaked me out, Not now im really enjoying the new me.
    • Posted

Oh woooo w that is fantastic, I'm so glad for you. That gives me hope so much.

Thank you Tracey, ill keep in touch with you If that's ok? Did u take anything to help with side affects and sleep?

Xxx

• Posted

Hi yes please keep in touch with me and let me know how you are doing, anytime u need support or a question being answered just message me, yer i did take a sleeping aid for about 1 week they where called zolpidem 10mg they did do the trick, i also took clonazepam 0.5mg for my anxiety and heart pulps clonazepam is a very good drug and stopped all my anxiety BUT it is very addictive so i only used them when i was desperate, i had no side affects from them and im not taking anything else now apart from the sertraline hope this helps you smile
    • Posted

Thank you sooo much, you're an angel, I hope I can do as,well as you, god willing, my Dr gave me 2mg diazipam, I try not to take it, and havnt for a,week, but feel I need it to hand.

Xxx

• Posted

Your very welcome like i said anytime u need a bit of help just message me smile Anxiety is such a horrible illness, and I'm 100% sure you will be back to yourself again if not better good luck and speak soon xx
    • Posted

Hi hope you are well , just checking to see how you are getting on and do you feel any better x
    • Posted

H Tracey,

. I'm a lot better than 3 weeks ago, eating well so far. Depression has definitely got a lot better, I just cant seem to relax at home alone? I get agitated, and need to busy my self all day, but still couldn't work even tho I really need to. Especially as I nearly Xmas lol , sleep is a bit of a problem I got to sleep at 12 last night woke at 4, went back to sleep at 5 woke at 7. Just the mind still racing. But people say I seem a lot better.

Thank you so much for checking up on me xx, was it a bit like that for you at the end of first 3 weeks of 50mg?

Xx

• Posted

Also I get the jitters in the afternoon, like now?? I dont feel "normal" yet tho! 😞
    • Posted

Hi glad to hear u arr feeling a little better, i also got jitters where I couldn't sit still it will pass, i also used tp wake up at 1, 4 6 But sleep lovely now and all night you will get there, are you on 100mg yet x
    • Posted

No, I have literally just walked out Drs, as I'm typing, she said she wants to keep me on the 50mg, for another 3 weeks?? I told her about jitters ,mind racing and not liking just sitting at home, but she said it will take time, and cbt is needed now. I dont know, I mean she said if in 3 weeks I'm still like this then she may up the dose! But she thinks I've made a big improvement, and doesn't want me to get the side affects again no. so I'm not sure if this is just delaying my progress or not??? Hearing that you are so back to normal is giving me hope. Because I'm just extremely exshausted with all this 😔,

How are you?

• Posted

Please help!! I just upped my dose of sertraline frm 25 mg that inwas on for 2 weeks to 50 mg 4 days ago. My anxiety is so bad and my arms and face are burning. I'm so tense my arms feel weak. I can't sleep and woke up the last 2 mornings sweating . I'm so scared I can't cope I don't know what to dosad
    • Posted

Hi Tracey, I know exactly how you are feeling sweet heart, sertraline does increase anxiety, so you do get worse before better, I was soo bad, I was suicidal, I went to a&e and also called Samaratines once. Go to your Dr and ask for a small dose of diazepam, I used to take 3mg to calm me down, in about 2 weeks this will all go. You will still feel anxious but not like you are now, and sleeping may still be a problem, like you may get only 2 to 4 hours. But try and stick with it. I'm ony 3 weeks in so early days for me too.

Hope that helps hun xxxx

• Posted

Hi glad u have seen docs again, i had my doses upped pretty quick ive been on 100mg now for 4 weeks now, started at 25 then 50 then 75 in total of 10 weeks, so was quite quick upping the doses, the side affects each time did get better, you have only been on them 3 weeks now and need more time to get into your system, you will get there I promise its just hard i used to think i would be like this forever and could not see light at the end of the tunnel, BUT im soooooo much better now , i do normal things can be on my own, its just a shame sertraline takes time hold on in there Xx
    • Posted

Thank you, thank you, you give me loads of hope. Did you not like being alone tooat the beginning? I'll give it 3 weeks and see then what she says.

I hope she's doing the right thing by keeping me on 50mg.

Xxx

• Posted

Hi im sure your doc knows what they are doing, omg i hated being on my own in the beginning my husband had to take quite a few weeks of work as i felt soooo bad, hes now back at work the first day i was really scared and worried but i was fine i was worrying about being anxious which is mad lol each day gets better smile im even having a beer tonightsmile hope this helps you xx
    • Posted

That's great to hear, you enjoy.

Its lovey that you are still on the forum helping people even though you are better.

Xxx

• Posted

Hi just checking to see how you are getting on, hope things are a lot better for you x
    • Posted

Hi Tracey,

omg, soooo much better thank u hun. I wouldn't say 100%, but at least 85% and I'm soooooo happy!

Thank you for you're reassurance.

How are you doing?

I've read a few threads on hear about people having a dip around the four month mark, so bit worried about that tbh.

But at least now I'm a lot better, sleeping well, nd eating, putting my makeup on ect. I still cant thin about work, I prob wait until the new year. But tell me are you ok ?

Xxxx

• Posted

So glad u are getting there smile im doing really got ive got a review on meds on the 30th dec i think they are going to up sertraline awwww lol doc has given me klonopin omg its amazing its takes away anxitey panic and makes you feel soooo good, i only take a small amount as needed but it's amazingsmile xx
    • Posted

Why do the Drs increase the dose if you are feeling better? And were you still feeling anxious? Is that why you take klonopon? X
    • Posted

Hi yer had a few days where i felt anxious due to life stuff and teenagers, not bad tho i was just worried about going back to how i was, doc gave me 0.5mg klonopin which i cut into 4 and have only taken a few times but it's wonderful lol doc also mentioned he would like to up the dosr but im not so keen as i feel good 98% of the time, i think its just doctors for ya xxx
    • Posted

Ahh I see! I'm still on 50mg, seeingbdoc on the 17th, dont know if she will up the dose? X
    • Posted

hi tracy, ive been searching this forum all day looking for you lol.

i have been doing really, really well up untill xmas day, i had a panick attack in the evening and got really low, had to go out for a long walk, thought ill be ok next day . yesterday went off my food had a few waves of panick and am the same today. did this ever happen to you at all? im still on the 50mg of sertraline. saw my dr last week and i was in a really good place, she was pleased and said i would stay on the 50mg for the six months. do you think its just a blip or should i go back to my gp? im sooooo scared tracy, i dont want to go back to how i was sad

i would really appreciate any reply from you thanks tracy xx

• Posted

Hi, yes i did have bad days quite a few of them, im on 100mg of sertraline now and find that a lot better, doc also gave me klonopin 0.5mg which really did help, im not on them anymore, maybe you need to go up a dose 75mg thats what i did each time and side affects are no where near as bad , i really hope thos helps you any more questions just reply back to me xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Tracy for getting back to me. I'm a little better at the moment. And I'll see how I am this evening and tomorrow morning?

But I think you may be right I may need to increase dose!? Bit scared about that.

I was so good last couple of weeks 😪

God bless you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.