Sertraline - Weird sensation in head / Migraine type pain

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi approximately 2 weeks ago I was prescribed the Drug Sertraline to help with anxiety isuses I have been experiencing. The GP in question prescribed a dosage of 50 mg to be taken 1 x times per day. After taking this tablet I experienced a pretty bad reaction and ended up having what can be described as a mini seisure and encountered a popping sesnation within my head. Since taking this drug I initally developed a painful pressure and swelling feeling within my head and I have now gone onto develop constant migraines, confusion, intemidate weakeness in right arm, not being able to feel certain emotions and generally feeling spaced out most of the time. I have been to both my GP and Hospital in relation to these issues where various tests such as CT Scan, Blood work, ECG have been performed. I am starting to become concerned about these symtoms and I am kind of worried that the Sertraline triggered some event that has damaged parts of my brain.

Has anyone experience these type of symptoms with this drug?

I feel like I have no where elese to turn to get answers.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I started taking Sertraline 8 years ago when my husband died, then weaned myself down to 50mg. It does take a few weeks to get into your system and side effects I found dreadful. Last year I found myself in the same sadness when my brother died, and I got an increase in dose. I went up to 100mg then 150, and I couldn't sleep or eat....lost 10lbs in 3 weeks. I would have a day when every nerve in my arms had "electric shocks", then next day had the knotted feeling in the diaphragm area. It's not a pleasant experience. I had a good experience first time round but not this time
    • Posted

This is what I'm experiencing now I've been on sertraline for almost two months now i started off on 25mg and my doctor put me on 50mg Im not sure if my body cant tolerate this dosage amount

• Posted

Hi,

what has your GP said?

i have been taking Sertline for 8!months now. The only side effects I encounted was extremly tired, quite sick, and  throbbing on left side of my head right on my temple.........which were all side effects.

This drug I believe is powerful and you have to give it at least 6-8 weeks for it to proply work......

All the best.

• Posted

My GP took me off the drug after the bad reaction to the first dose. However since this incident I no longer feel like I used too generally as a person.
  • Posted

Yes I had the same kind of thing, tightness sensations around my head. You should survive 🍻
    • Posted

Hey pj that's good to hear that it could possibly fade eventually. How long did the side effects of this drug effect you when you were taking them.
    • Posted

Each person is different...it could be weeks or months. You can help yourself though by getting sunlight/Vit D, exercising. You need to be MAKING serotonin and not just waiting for meds to do it for you...easier said than done, I know x
  • Posted

Hi I started taking Sertraline last July (been on and off antidepressants for most of my adult life) I began on 50 mg increasing to 100 mg within a month.  I had the usual dry mouth and tiredness but the one thing different with sertraline was the terrible pain I developed in my head.  It wasn't a headache per se it was a pain in a specific area (top right) my doctor (psychiatrist) explained that it was probably due electrical connections in the brain and that it would wear off in time : it did ... But I didn't have the other symptoms you mentioned.   I hope you feel better soon!
    • Posted

Thank you Jude some of the initial symptoms seem to be wearing off though I am still feeling the occasional pain in my head and a little anxious at the moment.
    • Posted

Hello I know i'm late but i been taken zoloft for a month in a half now i started off with 25mg .. i told my doctor i was having body ache from the top of my head down to my feet, she ask was im sleeping at night i told her no, so she put me on 50mg, so the body ache finally stop over time but im still feeling pressure in my head all of my forhead the top the side, so I knew something wasnt rite i know one of the side effect was was headache . so I research because i never had this problem in my life, so i done stop take it for a week now, so now long did it take for it to stop are what did you take to make it stop

• Posted

did your headaches go away its only day 4 for me and my headache is so bad comes on at nights tho

• Posted

hi there Welsh , i know this is a very old topic , but i am on sertraline too now and i am experiencing that presure on my forhead and on top of my head and i think on the sides too. i wanted to ask you , did it go away for you ? i am curently taking 25 mg for 7 days and than i am supoose to increase the dose to 50mg but i am quite scared to do that now ... please could you let me know ? thank you

• Posted

Hey Daniela! I started Sertraline on March 12th, I started at 25mg and then within 8 days upped to 50mg. I was having severe tension headaches (pressure all around your head, focusing mainly in my forehead and temples) I told my Doctor because I was also experiencing extreme anxiety and insomnia so she upped me to 100mg (which I started just over a week ago) and the headaches are gone, now I just have slight dizziness/lightheadedness and nausea which are nothing compared with the awful headaches. Hopefully they go away for you as well!

• Posted

hi im experincing bad head aches day 4 on tablets so

much pressure in my head how did things go for u ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.