Sertraline - Weird sensation in head / Migraine type pain

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi approximately 2 weeks ago I was prescribed the Drug Sertraline to help with anxiety isuses I have been experiencing. The GP in question prescribed a dosage of 50 mg to be taken 1 x times per day. After taking this tablet I experienced a pretty bad reaction and ended up having what can be described as a mini seisure and encountered a popping sesnation within my head. Since taking this drug I initally developed a painful pressure and swelling feeling within my head and I have now gone onto develop constant migraines, confusion, intemidate weakeness in right arm, not being able to feel certain emotions and generally feeling spaced out most of the time. I have been to both my GP and Hospital in relation to these issues where various tests such as CT Scan, Blood work, ECG have been performed. I am starting to become concerned about these symtoms and I am kind of worried that the Sertraline triggered some event that has damaged parts of my brain.

Has anyone experience these type of symptoms with this drug?

I feel like I have no where elese to turn to get answers.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey guys, I started taking Zoloft for my anxiety and it was my fourth day today. Had a very sudden weird burning sensation in my brain and i felt very faint and hot. It was bad and I almost went to the hospital. My mother and brother have both been taking Zoloft for years and my mom said that the meds shouldnt do that. I flipped out, it was very very scary for me. It eventually went away so I took a nap and woke up with a bad pressure headache. I was dizzy and I thought I was dying. So I did more research and found this forum, which ultimately calmed me down right away. I wouldnt think that this would be a common occurance but it is!! Glad im not alone with this side effect:)

• Posted

Hi! I just came across your comment. I am having the exact same thing. Burning sensations in my scalp. Did this go away for you? Currently week 4 of Sertraline, but only day 3 of 100mg (was on 50mg before)

• Posted

I'm so glad I found this forum. yes, i've developed severe pressure in my head too along with vomiting. no answers yes but I see neurology later this month 😕

• Posted

I'm on week 5 of sertraline and have had a headache for 3 days, would describe it as a mild headache on the left side. Has anyone else experienced similar?

• Posted

hi,

with your headache did you have severe throbbing on that same side? like the vessels in your arm/neck?

• Posted

Hey I know this is awhile back, but I have only recently starting to become concerned about taking Sertraline, I'm now on a 100mg don't like the headaches or my arms go jumpy, Actually just woke up with the same awful headache and down my neck, thinking I should come down to 50mg and would love to stop taking them but it's for my anxiety but I'm now always kinda feeling nervous. I'm on them a good while started at 25mg then 50mg then 150mg at one point I said no way .Don't feel like 'me' at the moment and often get forgetful or can't think what I was going to say .

• Posted

Hi! i know its been a while but i wanted to ask you if the headaches and other symptoms went away?

I've been taking Sertraline for over 6 weeks (more than 3 weeks on 100mg) and last 2 weeks its a nightmare, especially last week. Weird headaches since the morning, mostly my forehead area and temples, throbbing in my neck, severe nausea and in general upset stomach.

My doc said to decrease the dose to 75mg and check how i feel but also recommended to see GP just in case..

I'm wondering if sertraline really could cause such symptoms after a few weeks.

i used to take Paroxetine but never experienced these headaches or severe nausea 😦

Anyone else maybe went through something similar?

• Posted

Morning Monica. How are you feeling in general now with the anxiety and with the headaches now ? Im on my 4th week of sertraline two weeks at 50mg and 2 weeks ago was upped to a 100mg. still not feeling any better in relation to the awful anxiety and terrible headaches.

• Posted

I HVE THE EXACT SAME THINGS GOING ON. please tell me what you gigured out and where you are now with things

• Posted

What are your symptoms?

Headache and pressure has gone now, just have a fullness in my ear and neck ache

• Posted

I have that fullness feeling in my ears im on week 4 the headaches have come back its really scary

• Posted

So glad I found this forum. I've been on 50mg Sertraline for abt 3 weeks and started experiencing muscle twitches and these sharp sudden pains left side of head along with a light throb in that temple. With having health anxiety that made it worse. Hope these symptoms go away soon.

• Posted

hi im on sertiline and im experiencing head aches and numbness in my forehead achi arms legs weird feelings in my stomach and chest im 3 weeks in and very worried i have brain problems its scary constant worry everyfdy

• Posted

me too what did you end up doing?

im on day ten and scared to take the next pill

• Posted

hi o just started Zoloft 10 days ago and having the same side effects its like a mini seizer and zapping to my brain also numbness in my feet and hands until rub it off. i started this for panic attacks but feel like its giving me anxiety right now. should i wait put the storm and continue taking it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.