Sertraline - Weird sensation in head / Migraine type pain

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi approximately 2 weeks ago I was prescribed the Drug Sertraline to help with anxiety isuses I have been experiencing. The GP in question prescribed a dosage of 50 mg to be taken 1 x times per day. After taking this tablet I experienced a pretty bad reaction and ended up having what can be described as a mini seisure and encountered a popping sesnation within my head. Since taking this drug I initally developed a painful pressure and swelling feeling within my head and I have now gone onto develop constant migraines, confusion, intemidate weakeness in right arm, not being able to feel certain emotions and generally feeling spaced out most of the time. I have been to both my GP and Hospital in relation to these issues where various tests such as CT Scan, Blood work, ECG have been performed. I am starting to become concerned about these symtoms and I am kind of worried that the Sertraline triggered some event that has damaged parts of my brain.

Has anyone experience these type of symptoms with this drug?

I feel like I have no where elese to turn to get answers.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hey, I've spoken to several people who have tried Sertralin and spoken to healthcare staff, but they didn't recognize the symptoms of severe morning headaches, throbbing headaches, especially on the left side of the neck and head and goes all the way to the forehead, jaw feels stiff and sore, probably because of anxiety during the night. And tremors in my left hand in the mornings. Glad I found this thread, just gonna hang on and give it more time.

• Edited

Like many, glad i found this forum. I started on 50mg and only had diarrhoea for the first week as a side effect. Got very fast results for my anxiety/depression. Then after 3 months or so, it was like it just stopped working for me. I was increased to 100mg and have had really weird side effects since (been about 3 weeks), pressure in the head on and off, floaty dizziness especially when walking, headaches while sleeping which quickly go after waking, and headaches regularly on an evening. Thing is its now helping with my mental health issues but seem to be stuck with all these other weird side effects. i will update after another 3 weeks. Going to try and troop on until the expected side effect transition time of 6 weeks. One thing i have found is that alcohol in excess seems to trigger migraines with this med. I took Citalopram previously and didn't have any side effects or issues with a few beers.

• Posted

hi this sounds like me right now how did it all go for you ?

• Posted

well i get bad headaches in the evening, only been in 25mg for 4

days tho

• Edited

Hi sara. it all came good in the end, side effects faded away towards week 7. just got to stick with it unfortunately. i got through a lot of paracetamol in that month and a half. Good luck.

• Posted

hi how did things work out for you ? just done 7 days on 25mg but last few days head has felt very strange, & get headaches at nights

• Posted

Hi, iv been on sertraline 50mg since 12th Jan then on thursday i was increased to 100mg since then i have had an awful pain in the left side of my head and pains down my right arm. having health anxiety really is not helping. did any of you experience this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.