Severe ear pain after wisdom tooth removal

Posted , 17 users are following.

So I had my lower right wisdom tooth removed nearly 6 days ago now and I'm still in agony! Although the pain from the actual extraction site has subsided the pain in my ear/jaw and rest of my lower teeth has gotten worse. I have taken really good care of my mouth since the surgery as I really didn't want to get "dry socket", so I've gently cleaned my mouth with warm salt water religiously. I've eaten only soft foods and done so on the other side of my mouth. However, this pain does seem to be increasing, so much so that I cannot sleep at all because of the throbbing pain in my face and sharp pains in my right ear. I would call my dentist but its bank holiday weekend and I'm crying in pain, I really need some help. Has anyone else been in this position and did it resolve itself?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No haven't had such an experience but think there must be somewhere treating emergencies like this. I would call the nhs helpline and get advice on what to do. Don't just suffer like that. Sounds awful.

• Posted

Yeah I think I'll be calling 111 in the morning, don't have any other choice. Thanks so much. 

• Posted

Did you find out what was wrong? 

I had mine out 6 days ago and the pain is becoming unbearable.

I have no pus or bad taste just agonising throbbing. I have followed all instructions given and nothing is helping.

I went to a and e last night and they said my infection markers are fine but gave me a stronger course of antibiotics just incase and also gave me some steroids intravenously. They said my jaw and the muscles around were just in spasm. I thought hat helped last night but I'm thinking it was just the morpine because now the pain is still as bad 😳 

• Posted

Hi, I’m going through that right now and the pain killers only last so long what did you do to resolve it? 
  • Posted

Hello I had an infected wisdom tooth removed on Tuesday and the pain I've got now is horrible ! I know the infection is still there because I can taste it and smell it! I only have 2 more days of antibiotics left. I'm more worried about the pain to my surrounding teeth is the normal? Thank you

• Posted

3 weeks ago I had a right molar removed and the pain is horrible. The 2 teeth on the side of the extraction the are hurting so much. For me to sleep I have to take a tylenol pm. I have aches during the day but when I lie down at night's it is really bad. Went back to dentist he said nothing is wrong. He said I am grinding my teeth asked him how when I'm wide awake but was in know mood to argue the point. He had a mild made to be picked up on Tue but pain has not eased up. Will ask about dry socket when I go back

• Posted

Well I suppose it’s good to know I’m not alone! It’s been 6 days since I got all 4 impacted wisdom removed and since then I have had nothing but a nagging horrible pain in my ear! Not pain from the extraction site but there is no relief for my poor right ear. It gets worse when I lay down so I have to sleep upright and straight because if I move my head slightly to the left or right I’m in even more pain! Has anyone figured out what is causing this? All my friends said it took them about 2/3 days to fully heal and here I am a week later unable to sleep at night or do any normal activity besides lay upright in bed after work. Advil only does so much. Have an appointment with my oral surgeon in about an hour but I will be very frustrated if he’s unable to do anything for the pain.
    • Posted

Did you find out what was causing it? I’m 7 days post op and can find no relief for the unbearable ear and jaw pain I’m having. I’m at the end of my wits and I feel so hopeless. The pain is so bad it’s making me shake and I’m too exhausted to hold back the tears anymore. It’s affecting my career, my relationship, and ability to care for my 4 year old, and my overall sanity. Please tell me they found a solution for you! 
    • Posted

I could have written your post kait. I am 5 days post op and currently 26 weeks pregnant. I am currently sitting in bed, eyes streaming, bolt upright, taken lots of paracetamol, ice pack on face, and yet the pain is in no way easing. I will ring dentist in the morning. It will be interesting to see what they say and advice they give to treat. I can’t have another night of this. sad 
    • Posted

I’m so sorry to hear that!! I would say that was one of the more miserable periods in my life.  I did finally get relief and the pain will go away eventually even though it might feel like it never will! I got a second opinion after about day 9 and the second surgeon found I had a bit of a dry socket in my lower right canal which was radiating the pain all the way up to me ear. I told him I was convinced I had a middle ear infection because the pain felt very similar, but he insisted it most likely from dry socket. He gave me some numbing jelly to squeeze into the socket and the relief was almost immediate. (I’m not sure he was supposed to give me it, but I would inquire with your surgeon if he/she does find you have dry socket.) I think I was finally all better after about 2 weeks but I do wish somebody had warned me about horrible of a procedure that would’ve been! Worst I’ve ever experienced and I’ve had quite a few surgeries! I’m so sorry you’re going through it right now, but if your pain isn’t being treated properly, ask for another surgeon to check it out!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the reply I’ve got an appt with the dentist in about 2 hours. I pray that she will just take a look and know what is wrong and tonight I will be able to sleep. Last night was defn worse than the birth of my first child, if that’s possible.  Thank you Sophia for taking the time to send a reply. It definitely gives hope. J 
  • Posted

Hello. I am having the same problem! I am 43, and just had my right lower bone impacted wisdom tooth removed. I did get dry socket. The doctor had to pack it two different times with the (medicated cloves?) and removed the packing yesterday.  I couldn’t sleep last night.  There is pain from the exctraction that shoots to my right ear and to my other teeth. I also keep getting that salty taste. I’m not a complainer, but I can”t live like this. 😢 Did it get better for any one of you? 

• Posted

i am also having same problem its been a week of my lower wisdom extraction and the ear pain is not going even my throat sometimes start to pain. visited my doctor twice but she is saying it is due to the bulbus roots that my tongue nerve is injured but i am not convinced with the answer. can anyone tell me about it??

• Posted

hi sorry to reply so late but can you let me know how long you suffered with this? im going through the exact thing now. just back from hospital after being told its not an infection and could be nerve damage. my jaw ans ear is in agony 😦

• Posted

hi my ear pain remained nearly 15-18 days and after that it was normal for me but half of my tongue got numb as the nerve got injured and still after more than 6 months its not normal. keep taking your pain killers it will go away soon. take care ☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.