Severe osteoarthritis

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had my first X-ray last November suffering severe hip groin pain, travelling all done my right leg.  When the steroid injection didn't work at all, I was told my problem was either neurological  or possibly bursitis h (no scan).  Twelve months later my hip joint is bone on bone and the same consultant has put me down for hip replacement. tells me he has no idea how long the waiting list is !  Completely when asked said the joint would be metal because of my age (77).  I think he felt a ceramic joint is a waste of money on me.  Told me recovery would be slow, probably twelve months.  He has made me so depressed and I don't really have faith on him anymore.  I live in Cheltenham Glos. Can anyone recommend a good surgeon here?  Still in severe pain, cannot sleep at night and medication doesn't seem to help.  Look forward to your replies, thank you

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello I am 5 weeks post THR and am 59 but my mother had a double hip replacement done at 78 which transformed her mobility and also from which she recovered very quickly so please don't give up . She is now 88 and still going strong
  • Posted

Oh dear you do sound fed up! I would not worry about what kind of hip you will have....they are all good!  As for the waiting list, yes he was a big vague, but  I am sure you could speak to the "waiting list people" at the hospital and they will give you some more information.  Regarding the 12 months to recover.... I am six weeks post op and sixty years old...my consultant told me that six weeks is the first hurdle if you like, then, depending on your work/lifestyle/hobbies three months is the next milestone...he also said that by twelve months I should have the complete picture and that what I hade then was as good as it would be....so I suppose yes twelve months to recover is true BUT I can honestly say that within hours of the operation I felt ten years younger and would have been delighted if things had got no bette than that!   Now at six weeks I am walking with one stick, yes I get tired if I do too much...it is major surgery! My wound is "beautiful" people comment that I am the person that they knew a couple of years ago!  Take heart Hilltop.....follow the good people on this forum, use us as a place to have a rant or a laugh or a moan....keep us informed of your progress....
    • Posted

Thank you Jane - your encouragement really helpsxx
  • Posted

I am 68 and had my hip done a few months ago at 67. It is quoted by many experts that the full recovery can take up to 12 months, however that is not to say that the many benifits do not start straight away. By 4 weeks I was standing straighter than for years and certainly did not have any pain. I would look into a second opinion. Incidentally my mum had her hip done at 80, she died at 90 but had no hip pain
  • Posted

Dear Hilltop, 

Welcome to our Hippies family ... 

So sorry to hear about the pain you are in... we all know how this feels / felt - 

I agree with Jane and Maggie - don't worry about the joint and what it is made of - and yes, full recovery can take about 12 months and sometimes even longer ..

However, that OA pain will not be there any more - 

don't be discouraged by what the consultant is telling you - he might have been in a bad mood or tired ... to be honest, my surgeon is not good in communicating but his bedside manners are fantastic ... other than that, in his office, he is pretty aloof and vague - rude at times ... 

so that is when you come here, darling .... 

if you are not comfortable with him, please get a second opinion 

Get another consultant if possibe - 

go for it Hilltop !   

big warm hug ... it will be okay -

renee

• Posted

Thank you for your response Renee.  I feel so on ,y own with this.  I asked The same consultant what exercises I should do pre op, to be told just stretch your arms above your head!  However, the booklet he gave me States how important it is to exercise!  He also told me he didn't know how long the waiting list is and generally doesn't seem to care.  Do you know what an have to  do to change surgeons?  All this is causing me extra worry on top of the stress of the pain and is so depressing! Xxxx
    • Posted

Jane is right ... talk with your GP about it - and also that some surgeons lack people skills but are brilliant surgeons - they are the do'ers in the medical field,so to speak - 

this IS a very lonely journey Hilltop, no matter what - 

so sorry you feel this way - don't take it personally either - 

questions and concerns you might have post-op will be answered by physical therapist and, of course, you can always come here -

remember also that what we share are our personal stories and experiences ...

big warm hug - 

renee

• Posted

Hello Renee - I cannot help but feel that ageism is paramount with the consultant I was referred to via NHS.  I have lost my confidence in him but to seek a second opinion now would delay my op even more and I really cannot live with this pain for much longer.  It is now affecting ,my knee, other hip and back.  Medication doesn't seem to work and I am half the person I was twelve months ago.  I am inow on the waiting list and have my pre assessment on 21 October.  Because of all  the stress and pain and sleepless nights, I wonder if I now have the strength to come through the op.  How I wish I had paid for private op in the beginning of my very painfu

journey - Love Hilltop

• Posted

dear Hilltop

is pre-assessment the same as pre-op screening? if so, then your surgery date is not too far away .. 

I know, darling,it affects everything in your body and no pain medication brings relief - but you will have the strenght to come through - trust me, us actually - the majority of this Hippies family has gone through the same as what you are going through right now - 

let go of any regrets - you did what you thought was best at that time - 

big warm hug 

renee

• Posted

Thank you for those uplifting words, Renee.  Pre assessment is the first of the stages you go through before finally being given a date.  Had  a dreadful night, pain was so bad, originating in my hip and running all down leg. Sometimes don't know what to do with myself. I think my consultant is ageist and indifferent to pain but too late to change him now as I would have to go the the whole waiting list procedure again. Onwards and upwards, Eira
    • Posted

Hi Hilltop, I too have been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis of both hips. I used to be in agony during the night, to the point of tears.  I tried pillows in loads of different positions to try and prevent the pain, but they didn't work, neither did painkillers.  I am a side sleeper and found that the pain intensified when trying to straighten my legs.  Keeping my legs straight in bed, helped with the pain a bit.  I can only sleep for short periods on my side now and mostly try sleeping on my back to ensure my legs keep straight.  Maybe keeping your legs straight might help, it helps a bit in that it stops the pain from being agony.
  • Posted

If you want to change  consultant I think you probably need to go back to your GPs  for a new referral.  One thing I have noticed on here is that views on most things both pre and post op  vary very much from consultant to consultant! Don't despair.....also some consultants are not very good with people skills but are amazing surgeons!
  • Posted

Hilltop, I am so sorry to hear you are suffering so much, and actually quite cross that your age should be made to be such an issue. Non of us know how long we are will be on the planet for, and all of our lives are precious. It is perfectly possibly you may live for at least another 20 years, it is not for anyone (and especially not a doctor) to make you feel like this.

I have been seeing Mr Michael Bishay in Bath. Please look up BMI Bath clinic, if not I could send you the link. It is not especially close to you in Chelt but he is wonderful! And WILL definitely take good care of you. If you can stretch to see him privately it would be a good investment, if not, then please go back to your doctor and tell them you need a second opinion and a consultant you can trust explaining what happened.

1) The GP could organise some proper pain relief for you, be honest about your pain levels and they will respond properly. Morphine patches etc so that your pain is under control.

2) A referral to a better consultant.

Personally I would not go back to the last consultant, how can you trust he will care for you and have your best interests at heart? Twelve months recovery sounds like a long time, but it will soon evaporate and each day you will get a little better, and you can get better and reach a full recovery just like anyone else. Sending you lots of love and hope others will have some helpful tips to give you. 

• Posted

Hi Hilltop. I know waiting can be hard. I found the worst part for me was having somebody actually look and see what was wrong with me. I will tell you a little bit about my most recent experience and what my surgeon said. I'm 38 and had my 2nd hip replacement 12 days ago. I have metal on plastic. I have heard that ceramic implants are used a lot on young people. So I asked my surgeon while waiting to go into the operating room why I have metal and not ceramic. He said that if he saw me 10 years ago, he would have put ceramic in me. He continued to say that the metal implants have come such a far way in that time, that they last just as long, if not longer then ceramic. He also said ceramic tend to squeeze as well. This is just my surgeons opinion and he is supposed to be one of the best around me. And I do trust what he says to me. He knows that I have been through a lot and I don't want anything sugar coated. Hope this helps and puts your mind at ease somewhat. Good luck and keep coming back for the wonderful support offered here.
  • Posted

Aww you poor thing. I think I would be tempted to speak to my gp about a re referral. I can't imagine going through this without feeling comfortable with the surgeon. My surgeon was very brusque in his manner, but to be honest, I am too and I can't be pandered to 😂

Although saying that, you don't actually have to have much to do with the surgeon, I saw mine on 3 occasions before surgery and then a brief visit before he did the deed and he popped his head in my room each day I was in hospital, but the after care is mainly the physiotherapists.

If a new surgeon would delay the op I would bite the bullet and stick with him, if not then maybe consider changing.

Also if you have your pre op Assessment at the end of October your surgery really should be pretty soon after that.

Is it not 4 weeks before you would need to have another assessment done?

And once you've been seen by the surgeon I'm sure the waiting list has to be within 3 months???

Correct me if I'm wrong this is all a vague memory now with hippie brain, but I would think you'll be done and dusted by Xmas!

• Posted

Thank you fir that Billie.  I think you are right about having to stick with the surgeon now.  Would be wonderful if it were all over with by Xmas.   Regards Hilltopxxx

• Posted

Hi Billie, 

I have the same experience with my surgeon - brusque is the perfect wordt to describe his attitude at my first consultation ... he didn't even look at me and just stared at the xray .... 

He did my 1st THR March 2015- I couldn'[t have had a better bed side mannered doctor post-op - patient, explaining, coming in every day -

Follow up visit was in May and now other hip needed THR as well - same attitude - he had a co-assistent with him and didn;t give me a second look - I was in tears - but wanted no other surgeon but him because he dis such a good job .

oh, and right before surgery, he introduced himself and his staff, making sure I was comfortable.

2nd THR surgery done September 10 2015 - same great service post-op - 

I am prepared to meet brusque doc at my next follow up visit rolleyes

warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.