Severe osteoarthritis

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had my first X-ray last November suffering severe hip groin pain, travelling all done my right leg.  When the steroid injection didn't work at all, I was told my problem was either neurological  or possibly bursitis h (no scan).  Twelve months later my hip joint is bone on bone and the same consultant has put me down for hip replacement. tells me he has no idea how long the waiting list is !  Completely when asked said the joint would be metal because of my age (77).  I think he felt a ceramic joint is a waste of money on me.  Told me recovery would be slow, probably twelve months.  He has made me so depressed and I don't really have faith on him anymore.  I live in Cheltenham Glos. Can anyone recommend a good surgeon here?  Still in severe pain, cannot sleep at night and medication doesn't seem to help.  Look forward to your replies, thank you

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You are having a terrible time. Have you been to your GP to see if the pain meds can be modified in any way. Towards the end of my wait for the op I could not sleep at night and so my prescription was altered with success. 

You worry re the metal implant, at 67 that is what I was given, told it should last up to 30 years. It was uncemented with a plastic cup. From what I can gather this surgeon nearly always uses this type of implant, my husband had the same from him at age 62.

the prop assessment appointment is good news, as it means you are nearing the top of the list. As you know the waiting list in England from referral to the list should not be more than 18 weeks but many trusts do not manage that

one way to have a sooner op date would be to let them know,at preop, that you are willing to accept cancellations. This would mean being prepared to go for your op at very short notice when someone else is not able to go for whatever reason.

finally, as has been said before, surgeons are often not the best with their people skills but brilliant at their job

it is possible to check up your surgeons success rates online, just google his name

all the best a nod Ihope all is well at your preop

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.