Should i still be having thigh pain into knee at 13 weeks

Posted , 13 users are following.

I wondered, you out there that are at my point or beyond, can tell me their experiences. I live in the country yet my road is highly travelled so Scarey to walk, no sidewalks and a long way to town, I walk around my house 15 minutes twice per day at each 5 minute interval I do 10 each leg lifts sideways, squat as tho sitting down and side steps around furniture, I am 63. I stand with weight on leg for 20 seconds twice. These are what they had me doing in therapy they sent me home with bands, I don't use those. I also do the leg lifts lying down as surgeon suggested. Problem is, I cannot get the muscle in the operated leg to not hurt. This morning not only is that hurting but it hurts down into side of knee. I read from some not as far along as I am that are walking miles and I can't even imagine that..should I push it and try to walk through the pain? Is this somewhat normal? Or should I be concerned, thank you. Any suggestions or reassurances welcome..

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I am currently 8 weeks post op and have exactly the same problem so will be interested to know other comments too.

All the best.

Sarah

• Posted

And I thought it was me ... I also do the house walking mostly without sticks, leg lifts, one legged squats and dips, and 30 second balance on operated leg - I am 4 weeks post-op.

Mostly my front-of-thigh muscle hurts, sometimes toward the inside of thigh too, but mainly when I get up from sitting.  Once I get going, It's not too bad.

All advice I have had is not to push through pain.

Graham

• Posted

The most difficult decision,I find, is when to carry

on and when to rest, as far as pain is concerned.

I think doing exercises, if possible when warm in a stand-in

shower in the mornings. Walk if possible each day.

If any exercise is particularly difficult for you, or hurts

(for me this is the clam) don't do it. If we take up to 12 months

to fully heal you are 3 months into it now..

the new hip is getting used to the old hip,and the back..

what age are babies when they learn to walk.

we will get there eventually..

Cathie

• Posted

Hi Deborah..You sound very fit..I can only do semi squats..I am at 12 weeks post op today but walked about 20 mins, which I try to do daily..at the begin I was doing this twice a day so have slipped back. I do get thigh pain and these last couple of days have had to take pain relief again.  I don't think you should try to 'push through the pain'..the last thing the nurse said when I was discharged was 'don't be a hero'.

​I will watch with interest your replies as they will help me too.  Are you in America ? It is just some words indicate you are an American lady.

Kind REgards,

Alice

• Posted

Yes US, Michigan, where is your home? I will probably never get to travel but in these forums you get to in some respects lol
  • Posted

Hi Deborah:

We all heal at different speeds.  I think the various muscles that may have been dormant or over or under working pre op, are now waking up and trying to do their "bit."  What order and how this occurs, I would think depends on each patient.  However, I would check with the physio before forcing the issue.  It could be the ligaments starting to stretch out to encompass the new hip, etc.  Could equallly well be the nerves readjusting.  It sounds as though you ar experiencing the same problems that every other hip patient experiences at some time during recovery.

Don't force yourself and check, first.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

I am feeling really disheartened. I am just over 4 weeks post op. Our hospital doesnt give exercises to hip replacement patients, just those with knee ops. I know I should walk, but we live up a muddy track, on top of a hill and walking outside is impossible. I walk round the house loads and have been to the supermarket a few times, but I know I should be doing more. My hip aches quite a bit still and I'm still not confident on one crutch outside. It seems most people are walking several miles a day by 4 weeks. And to cap it all, my '6 week' post op check up isn't until February which is the first available appointment.🙁
    • Posted

There are a number of physio guides on the internet - try searching for 'post hip replacement exercises'.

Graham

• Posted

Hi

Don't feel disheartened. It sounds to me you are doing quite well. I am at about the same ability as you and I'm 8 weeks post op. The one thing I have learned from this forum is how differently we all heal and at different time scales.

Have a look at exercises online and keep up with the walking, but don't rush things. You'll get there in the end.

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

4 weeks isn't long, my doctor said leg lifts while lying down is all that's needed along with walk walk walk or stationary bike if you can't walk much. Per Josephine a nurse on Bonesmart says hips heal themselves if given the chance but most people don't give them the chance by overdoing. I can't walk outside much either and am a long way from town to use facilities however, I walk around my home do the sidestep around furniture, every 5 minutes I do 10 standing leg lifts, partial squats like you are trying to sit down, walk 15 minutes twice daily, the leg lifts lying down two sets of 10 morning and night. I do not do the clam hurts too much and therapy should not hurt per Bonesmart. You might also check their website they have a lot of literature.
    • Posted

Oh, I am 13 weeks today and 63.
    • Posted

Thanks Deborah, I'll certainly try the leg lifts along with the walking round the house.

Steph

• Posted

I know you're right, but some days are better than others. I will have a look at exercises online.

Steph

• Posted

No problem - having a poor short-term memory I find the pictures useful to remind me how to do them properly.

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.