Should i still be having thigh pain into knee at 13 weeks

Posted , 13 users are following.

I wondered, you out there that are at my point or beyond, can tell me their experiences. I live in the country yet my road is highly travelled so Scarey to walk, no sidewalks and a long way to town, I walk around my house 15 minutes twice per day at each 5 minute interval I do 10 each leg lifts sideways, squat as tho sitting down and side steps around furniture, I am 63. I stand with weight on leg for 20 seconds twice. These are what they had me doing in therapy they sent me home with bands, I don't use those. I also do the leg lifts lying down as surgeon suggested. Problem is, I cannot get the muscle in the operated leg to not hurt. This morning not only is that hurting but it hurts down into side of knee. I read from some not as far along as I am that are walking miles and I can't even imagine that..should I push it and try to walk through the pain? Is this somewhat normal? Or should I be concerned, thank you. Any suggestions or reassurances welcome..

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think it all depends on how old you are ... How fit you were going into it- how long you were in pain and on crutches - and what kind of surgery you had. I'm 48- fairly active and fit but on crutches for almost a year prior to surgery. I had AVN- lots of bone damage- and am now 11 weeks post op. I still use a crutch or a cane outside my house- and still have thigh and butt pain. I try to ride a stationary bike or walk the treadmill 30-40 minutes a day ... And do the PT they gave me at the hospital. It's a long process- just keep plugging away. You will be fine!
    • Posted

I agree with everything you say.. How wise pain makes

us..keep going, your life is in front of you and you have

gained wisdom from your pre op experiences. 

you are healing well, Cathie

• Posted

Hi Ginger....I noticed your post.I am 2 weeks today and went in quite fit..56 years old. I became bad in May.....I walk around my house, it's a bungalow with a cane....but I have a lot of pain and had a min breakdown tonight. Pain down my thigh, sometimes even at my groin....I don;t get it. I do my exercises but am not able to walk much...I try hard tho. I saw my xray yesterday nd surgeon said it looks good...I am almost regretting it the way I feel tonightsad
    • Posted

Savy

Two weeks is early days - you probably overdid it, when you feel teary it's usually your body is telling you that it's had enough.  At 2 weeks, I was still using 2 sticks around the house, and at 5 weeks now, I still need the support of one to go from room to room.

Pain in the thigh - there are a lot of us with that - seems to me the misuse we gave it before the operation by walking wonky, and of course what they did to it to get at the hip in the operating theatre.  I think lots of gentle physio will eventually sort it out - I hope so, as that's what is making me limp too.  

Some people get by with no pain at all - all well and good for them (I know someone personally like this), but the vast majority of us have some pain, and mostly in the front of the thigh.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Graham

• Posted

Thank you for your support...I honestly haven't been doing much that is what feels so disheartening BUT I realize that I need to accept however long it will take me. Of course one's thoughts go is something else wrong (operation wise) but xray was good.. Leg length feels quite different and I put a gel heel insert in. I am beating myself up a bit wanting to get off pain killers but I know everyone says otherwise. Deep breaths and I guess the pain will subsidesmile Thanks again Graham!
  • Posted

I am at 10 weeks.  I have had the same issues with leg, butt, and knee pain!  All at different stages but especially at 8 weeks.  I was very concerned, but in talking with my surgeon and with my PT, I am learning that as many have said on this forum, our bodies are are responding to the healing of surgery and also to the damage done prior years to getting to this point.  My butt, thigh and adductors are so weak from not using them correctly over the last 4-5 years, they are having to learn how to work properly to now support my new hip.  Unlearning the old habits is the hardest part for me and I must consciously correct my movements so that they relearn correctly.  Yes, I am NOT happy or pain free, which I had expected to be by now, but I am giving myself more time at least 6 months to hopefully be close to my "best" self, but as you can see on here...it could be 1 year.  Hang in there and dont do anything that hurts beyond a stretching feeling, ya dont want to reinjure yourself. Keep icing and take your anti-inflamatories, it helps!

Denise B***

• Posted

Hi Im very young to have a hip replacement; I had a sufe as a child so my hip and bone was very deformed and painful, im only 26, ive struggled with problems for 17 years, anyway my ? is i am still in alot of pain 5 weeks post op i would of thought i would start seeing a difference now? i have front thigh to knee pain which is very intense.

Also the side of my hip is very sore to touch which im sure is scarring. I can barely lift my leg either i Hve been doing walking etc but i dont have physio ive also had some complications so my op took 4 n half hours then my wound leaked alot and was infected. can any give me some light please i was hoping to get back to work in jan im a community nurse...operation was 29th oct xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.