Shoulder replacement...will I regain full movement or will I have a new normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My physical therapist mentioned that a full, reverse shoulder replacement will always be limited in movement.

Wow, I had visions of reaching the top shelf...I am now feeling a bit of reservation....I do not want to make matters worse...what is realistic to expect?

Thank you

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Of course I am sorry to hear you have to go thru shoulder replacement.

Have you asked you dr to ask a patient of his to contact you and go thru her experiences shoulder replacement.

I did that with my first hip replacement years ago. I gave my number out and the doc had two patients contact me. I felt much better talking with someone who could explain their experiences and about the doctor patient care after surgery.I realized I had no choice but to have THR and its best in many THR cases not to wait to long the surgeons need good bone to work with for replacement and successful surgery. 

I have not experienced shoulder replacement . I have had FS and that was painful enough! 

Head over to the shoulder replacement or reverse shoulder replacement. Also Google the components and the procedure and understand how they move and at least in my case I was able to unspderstand how joints are replaced ang how joints are implemented and the pros and cons with manufacturers. Ask your doc what manufacturer co.some doctors have contracts with these companies and need special training. 

Google any info you need so you will have all the info you need to feel comfortable with the proceedure. In the end it's a tough decision. 

Hope xxxxx confused

• Posted

I seen an video on this reverse shoulder replacement and the guy was playing golf after he had it done, thankfully I dont have to have that done yet, I got a type 3 acronium that is carving through one of my tendons, so they are going to shave a bit of bone off, I also have frozen shoulder and foraminal stenosis all on my dominant left side, thinking of changing my name to Lucky
    • Posted

playing golf...how encouraging...I will be thankful to leave this frozen thing behind.

Curious, which foramen is stenotic?

I had rough bones in my wrist shaved...worked out perfectly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.