Side Effects of Xolair Injections

Posted , 8 users are following.

Can I ask for a response in regard to what adverse side effects you have experienced since receiving the Xolair injections?  

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

have been getting 2 x 150 shots for 20 months - I have had no significant side effects other than a slight headache the first few months that might have lasted a few hours and then went away. I no longer get a headache and have had no site soreness or muscle soreness at all. 
  • Posted

I’m now on my third year of Xolair and I have been lucky enough not to have any side effects and amazing results. I am not taking this with any other medication therefore I don’t know if that would make a difference.
  • Posted

Hi there, I had my first shot and the second is on the 26th March. I have had no side effects what so ever. They injected my in each arm and I had to wait around for two hours to see if I had any major reactions at the hospital. Recommend you take a book ha ha. But I have to say I feel absolutely fine and the urticaria has got slightly better. I’m hoping by the time of the third treatment I should see total improvements. But the real test for me is when the summer kicks in. As heat is a major problem for me. I get married on the beach beginning of August so I really am hoping to not look like a swollen blotchy mess. I’ve had no pain, headaches etc but I have been slightly more tired that normal.  I will keep everyone posted with further injections to see if any side effects kick in during the treatment x
    • Posted

How long do each of you have to wait when you get a shot.. I only wait 30 mins.. I am not sure if the xolair shot is making my hair fall out and muscle weakness.. I saw my allergist yesterday and she said it is prob all the antihistamines i was taking so now i am cutting all of them out to see if I can just get by on the shot..
    • Posted

I waited 2 hours after the first one and I think it’s just 30 mins with the rest . I’m hoping it doesn’t cause my hair to fall out as I had that with methotrexate. I carry the antihistamines in my bag if needed but not taking any of my other medication while having the injections.  I do know I can’t take any anti inflammatory pills as they do cause mast cells to leak from the bone marrow and attack the immune system
    • Posted

Hi Michelle -- can you elaborate on your post?  Are you a nurse?  You stated that you can't take any anti-inflammatory pill while receiving the injections....no one has ever told me that before.  So, even, say Tumeric or maybe even Ibuprofen?  I sometimes take Gabapentin too because I have bulging discs in my neck.  

• Posted

No I’m not a nurse I have been told by consultants actually recently. I had also been taking ibuprofen and nurofen as I used to get a lot of joint pain and have a bulging disk in my spine. I was only informed 6 months ago and was shocked I was never told this. I have also read this somewhere when researching. I was told it releases more mast cells from the bone marrow which attack the immune system which then can cause more hives. I haven’t touched them since and only take paracetamol which is a hard as they don’t work as well as the above. I was shocked I wasn’t told this sooner and it’s because again so many people know so little about this. I think I read it when researching mastocytosis as it again is very closely linked the many types of urticaria. And then by two doctors that have an interest in this subject. It was purely by accident they told me as I was asking for stronger pain killers as the normal over the counter wasn’t working. When I told them I had been taking the above she said no way do I take that any more as it makes our situation worse. Again I asked my dermatologist and she said the same . Why I was never told this I have no idea?
    • Posted

Thank you so much Michelle --- I will check into this more myself.  I appreciate that you shared this information because it does seem that so many doctors don't even know what to do with us!  God bless! 

• Posted

After the first initial injection you’ll have to wait for about 2 hours so that they can monitor you. Any injection after that you wait for 30 minutes.

The start of my urticaria also signalled the start of my allergy to anti histamine! Always taken antihistamine until this urticaria started four years ago. Took me at least two years to get my consultant to believe that I reacted to anti histamine (which is very unfortunate as that seems to be the only source of medication that they offer!) therefore hence the Xolair shots!

These have been a god send to me. I have asked if I could have the 6 month course of injections every other month so that I’m covered throughout the whole year but they cannot do that.

I have also asked on numerous occasions to see an immuneologost as I’ve been told by my consultant that my immune system thinks it is being attacked by something... but again, my consultant says that an immunologist won’t be if any use ..: therefore I am stuck as I am on Xolair for no rhyme or reason

• Posted

Hi i have suffered with chronic hives for the last 9 years every single day . The steriods will clear them for a few hours only and the shots will get rid of the hives for two months the most once you stopped both medications hives will return back to normal and with a revenge . i had enough of this i just read it can last up to 30 years . Not 10 years like i thought .

• Posted

I have been taking the xolair shot for 6-7 years and have been hive free all that time but once i stop i m sure they would come back and i would be stuck taking prednisone forever so stickig with these shots.. have you tried xolair

• Posted

Xolair injection’s side effects are minor and usually fade away after a few minutes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.