Size, type, treatment of cyst. Your experience?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I had a TV ultrasound scan (had a pelvic a couple of months ago which was clear, therefore went for a TV scan). The TV ultrsound scan has picked up a 3cm complex septated cyst with two solid components inside one of my overy. Should i be worried? Has anyone had a similar experience and how were you treated, what was the size of your cyst?

Look forward to reading people's replies.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, first of all try not to worry, i went through this a few weeks ago.

My story is a 9cm complex ovarian cyst and on ct report it came back as "very suspicious with nodules and septa, but no extra ovarian disease"

I was offered a total hysterectomy, bilateral salpingo oopherectomy and omentectomy. I went into complete meltdown but stuck out for removal of affected ovary and tube only in the understanding that if the biopsy came back untoward then id go back in and have the Original suggested op. I had no symptoms of weight loss, just pain from the cyst and bowel and bladder disruptions which tend to go hand in hand with ovarian cysts. CA125 was 25.

After the op i was told that in fact the cyst was not on my ovary but on the bit between the ovary and tube, And the cyst was a simple one and not complex and inly measured 7cms.

Sometimes they don't know until they go in so to speak.

I haven't had any formal results back yet, im waiting to see the surgeon to discuss this so all is not well in my eyes until i have this piece of information but im just saying that sometimes things aren't always clear upon having a scan.

Take care and try to remain positive and dont "google" too much! X

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me and i hope its good news from the surgeon. All the waiting must be horrible.

If you dont mind me asking, how old are you. I'm in my 30s. The sonographer did also find an area in my endometrium which is suggestive of a polyp and my endometrial thickness was 14mm and was on day 21 of my a 28 day cycle. However my cycle is irregular at the moment.

• Posted

Hi

Im 43, so felt no where near ready for menopause or a surgical one at that. I may start naturally this year, who's to know but at least I'll be holding onto a remaining healthy ovary. I have finished having babies for sure but just didn't want a male putting me into menopause just on the off chance!

It sounds like you have other contributing factors so just be guided by the professionals but also know that you have a voice so use it if something doesn't feel right in resoect of treatment.

You may find that you will need a few more repeat scans just to assess rate of cyst growth. I don't think they operate on anything smaller than 5cms as some cysts dissapear of their own accord but im not sure if that is the case for all cysts as you may be aware there are different types requiring different treatments.

• Posted

Thank you for advice.. I will keep it mind when i eventually see someone. need to see gp to discuss my results and thats not until mid march as i had my ultrasound privately.
    • Posted

Mid march? Thats a long wait. You must be going out of your head.

Keep plodding on, hopefully you'll get answers soon. X

• Posted

Just a quick update, my results have come back and all is well so hopefully there is hope for you and anyone else going through the "ovarian cyst nightmare"

• Posted

That's brilliant news.. so glad everything has come back okay.. looks like my nightmare is just starting x

• Posted

Glad to hear that! I met today with the gynecologist about my latest dermoids and I'm now on the list to have my ovary out. So menopause for me at 35. I'm glad at least to have a plan, although waiting time is 8-12 months sad

• Posted

Oh dear thats a long wait for you. My op seemed quite quick but it seemed to get escalated because of the suspicious nature of the cyst so I guess that's why. Probably ended up waiting 2 1/2 months, I think once you know something is there that shouldn't be you immediately want away with it!

Your wait is going to be a tough one, no doubt about it, but I suppose it gives you time to prepare yourself or at least what to take with you! Being mentally prepared is always the last thing to be completed on the "to do list".

Take care. 😊

• Posted

Hi Nina,

I'm onto my third round of complex cysts now! Mine have previously been dermoids.

First time I had a 13cm and 6 cm on one ovary and a 9cm on the other. I didn't know they were there until one twisted and I had emergency surgery to remove them. My ovaries were left in tact then.

Second time was similar. I had a 6cm and it twisted. I had that removed with the ovary 5 weeks after my 2nd baby.

This time I got a jump on it and went for a scan privately revelling two small (less than 2cm) complex cysts.

I've got an urgent referall to gynaecology and am seeing consultant next week.

Surgery was easy first two times but I'm expecting them to remove my ovary this time and that will mean menopause.

You say you had the scan but have you met with a consultant yet?

• Posted

hi Jen

Like you i had a private scan as i was really suprised the pelvic scan i ws referred for didnt pick anything up. my gut instinct told me otherwise so had private tv ultrasound. i have not even been referred for gyne yet and i cant get in to see my gp until mid March.

• Posted

Oh that's a shame Nina, what a worry it must be to wait. If it helps, I was able to email the results of my private scan over to my GP and they made the referall without needing to see me. Of course I have a history of these things but worth a try. I really didn't want to wait such a long time for a GP.

if it's any consolation I really wouldnt be worried. My operations were a walk in the park, I didn't notice any difference from. the first op when they took the ovary in the second. Even losing an ovary your fertility won't be affected and there is such a small chance of anything nasty that I wouldn't even think about that - something like 2percent of dermoids turn cancerous and pretty much only in post menopausal women

• Posted

Hi All,

I have been told due to my symtpoms, elevated ca125, and ultrasound results I need hysteroscopy, polypectomy, D&C, Laproscopy with possibly the removal of my overy and fallopian tube. I refuse to accept it's anything sinister so will think positvely.

Just wondering what recovery time to expect as I will be having the above procedures in same surgery. I have been given a date in a few weeks.

• Posted

Hi Nina

Im not sure about recovery time (sorry). Just wanted to msg you to wish you good luck with your surgery and i hope you have a quick recovery. Fingers crossed for you.xx

• Posted

Thank Cheryl. That positive thinking didn't last long. Panic is finally setting in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.