Skipped beats/Palpitations after ablation

Posted , 47 users are following.

Hi everyone smile

I had my ablation on the 20th April and had 2 weeks off work. For those first two weeks I had no skipped beats or anything. I went back to work last Monday and since then I have got them constantly even when I am relaxing and not exerting myself.

I rang my doctor and am now taking my beta blocker in the morning but it isn't improving. Did anyone else have these symptoms? I know it's only been just over 3 weeks but to go through all that and now still having issues is really depressing sad

Thanks

1 like, 76 replies

76 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Also have moments where I feel like it's gone into an episode for like 2/3 seconds then stops!

• Posted

Hi- I’m having the exact thing happen all of a sudden 8 weeks after my ablation.  Several times I’ve felt like I was going into svt but then it stopped a few seconds in. Just long enough to panic.

Did this stop for you or is it the the new norm?

• Posted

Hi Hannah. I had my ablation 5 weeks ago and yes, I do have those symptoms but the do not come to anything. Stick with it.
    • Posted

Hi Bob,

Oh god it's awful isn't it I guess it's a good thing it doesn't go into an episode but it's just getting me down. Do you think it's because the heart is still healing?

• Posted

I am not on any SVT medication but am confident nothing will come of it. (i.e. no further SVT attacks). It is a weird feeling though. I do think it is because the heart is healing. My Dr told me it was cured so I am taking him at his word. Rgds and all the best, Bob
    • Posted

Hi Anna

im exactly the same my gp says its anxiety as its got me so down. reading this makes me feel a bit better. I had my ablation 6weeks ago

• Edited

By some of the other posts I've read, sometimes but takes a couple of tries before it's corrected. Chin up, buttercup!

• Posted

Hi Hannah.

I had lots of heart jitters, flutters and a few 'thumps' for the first month or so after my ablation. Felt just like SVT was about to kick in but, 5 years later, it never did.

My best guess is that its a mixture of ongoing healing and the acute sensitivity that all SVT folk have to any change in heart patterns.

I still get what feel like skipped beats and flutters now and again but don't care because I know that SVT wont start smile

I'm a bit surprised your GP put you back on betablockers.

Do you have a follow-up appointment with the Cardio people?

• Edited

I had the exact same thing! I was very frustrated and disappointed that I was still having skip Beat palpitations - quite frankly all the symptoms I had prior to my ablation. But I spoke to my doctor and did some research and the first 3 months after an ablation are called the blanking period. That is because your heart is inflamed from the procedure and has to heal. It takes about 12 to 14 weeks for your heart to fully get healed after the ablation. After three months to three and a half months if you're still having symptoms I would go back and maybe ask to be monitored and make sure that they did the ablation in the right spot. But yes the next several weeks for you might be pretty tough. I do have some good news though - after 5 weeks I started experiencing long periods with no symptoms. I've actually had a couple of bad days recently and I'm just now at the 8-week mark from my ablation. But it does get better. Just hang in there!

• Posted

Thanks for your comments everyone! It's very reassuring everyone goes through the same thing. I guess it is just a frustrating waiting game! Xx

• Posted

It take at least six months to heal and during the healing process you get lots of ectopics. In fact I have had lots more than I ever had before. I have had 3 ablations.
  • Posted

I know how you feel I had my ablation yesterday for svt my heart was jumping out my chest told doctor about the palpitations he said svt is gone heart is in rhythm he don't know why he didn't say give time to heal it will go away said to stop beta blocker I told nurse to tell him I want to take it still hope it stops I wish you and everyone on here luck I hope we all get better

• Posted

Hi there, just wonder how you are going? I had my Ablation 2.5 weeks ago and a few days ago the skipped beats/ palpitations started. It isn't pleasant and I'm glad I found this forum. Hoping that it goes away soon as I can't really do much, and it's making me anxious as I'm worried about a shock coming on. 

• Edited

I had the same symptoms. If the doctor didn't tell you, it takes the heart 3 months to heal after an ablation. They should get less and less and eventually stop. Until the heart heals, you might have these episodes. Give it some time. 

• Posted

Thank you Linda. Doc did tell me it takes 3 months to heal, I thought that was my septal scarring/healing. He didn't mention the heart palps and skipping. Thank you for replying. Makes me feel better knowing it's expected. 

• Posted

My doctor didn't tell me either. I called the office and I was told at that time that it takes 3 months and you might have episodes until the heart is healed. I also had some shortness of breath for a couple of months and felt like my chest was full. All part of the healing process. 

• Posted

Thanks Linda that's very reassuring as I'm feeling the same. How long ago was your Ablation and do you feel better now?

• Posted

I had my ablation a year ago in October, when they did my ablation, they found 4 other abnormal rhythms and so I have to be on medication for the rest of my life but they DID fix my SVT. It's rare to find that many abnormal rhythms. I was taking a medication and it wasn't working great for me, but now I have been taking rythmol fir 6 months and that seems to be working great. 

• Posted

Are you still having skipped beats etc?

I had my ablation 3 weeks ago and I am having skipped beats etc...plus a fast pulse....tired alot..

The dr says it is not my SVT...that is gone.

What is it? Will it quit when my heart is healed?

Or is this something like my dr said I might just have to find ways to deal with it.

I do feel overall better...but this part of symptoms they do not tell you about is bothersome.

• Posted

Are you still having skipped beats etc?

I had my ablation 3 weeks ago and I am having skipped beats etc...plus a fast pulse....tired alot..

The dr says it is not my SVT...that is gone.

What is it? Will it quit when my heart is healed?

Or is this something like my dr said I might just have to find ways to deal with it.

I do feel overall better...but this part of symptoms they do not tell you about is bothersome.

• Posted

It will stop when your heart has healed. My doctor told me that it take a good 3 months for the heart to heal. I had my SVT fixed and I had palpations too, was tired and a little short of breath. It all went away. Just think, what they are doing to the heart. They are invading it and its response is to heal. Hoped this helped.They didn't bother telling me either, I had to ask. 

• Posted

Same!  Had mine 2 months ago and I’m feeling the exact same way.  This forum is helpful for sure to know I’m not just crazy!
    • Posted

Hello Linda,

You had palpitations after your ablation? Did they last 3 months and then nothing, you were perfect? Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.