Sleeping pills and dryness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know of a sleeping pill that does NOT have the side effect of dryness?

(Please no preaching about not taking sleeping pills at all. Not an option)

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take ambien and it doesn't cause extra dryness for me and the only sleeping pill that doesn't make me groggy the next day either
  • Posted

Hi Shira,

I wonder if you look up Patient Blogs on Sleep medicines or something like that maybe you could see some reviews about Sleep Aids and the side effects other people have experienced? Might help.

Sally

• Posted

Thanks Sally, I have seen others have asked this very question on other forums and from what I've found looks like all sleeping pills have dryness as a side effect. Sleep aids that are "natural" or the hormone Melatonin don't cause dryness but don't work for me, I've tried.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear this.

Perhaps intime something will be manufactured to overcome the problem.

• Posted

Thanks Jean, in any case I'll ask my doctor next time I see him just to be certain there's no solution. 
    • Posted

Have you asked your dr to dvise you about a sleeping pill that does not cause dryness?

If so what did he or she say?

• Posted

I have asked him in the past to change the pill (one actually caused me back aches!) but have never asked him about dryness. I don't know if he'll come up with anything besides scolding me to just stop taking them already. I'll try to get in with him next week.
    • Posted

Shira

What was the name of the drug that caused backache?

What kind of bckache was it?

Did you have any other signs and symptoms? Did your dr test your urine fr any sign of infection?

Sorry but you have to take control of your health inasmuch as you can.

do your own research and find out the side effects, adverse reactions, interactions , contra indications of drugs using the internet as a search tool.

• Posted

It was Zolpidem. I would wake up in the morning with lower back pain, then it would go away after I got up. That's it.

Thought it was just because of the mattress.

I changed the pill and the pain disappeared!

Back pain is actually listed as one of the very many symptoms possible with Zolpidem, but who would have thought...just "winning the lottery" again I guess.

I agree Jean, it's up to us to look out for ourselves.

• Posted

I would not take this drug. Best to be awake than risk kidney damage.

I think you should have a renal function test. Have you changed doctors since this one? Why will the dr tell you off for not taking a drug that does not suit you as it causes serious side effects such as dry eyes, thirst, kidney pain, back pain etc, etc.

Has this dr reported the adverse reaction to the appropriate authorites or to the drug manufacturers?

What about informing the MHRA, Departmennt of Health or the drugs manufacturer. Did you see this dr whilst at workk or is he independant?

Please seee another doctor who is impartial.

No dr should use coercion to persudae a patient to take anything that is detrimental. It is against their professional code of conduct.

Does this dr know about Patient Rights etc.

Jean

• Posted

I have stopped that pill and am on another one, but they all cause dryness supposedly.The Dr won't tell me off for not taking a pill but for pestering him about changing it again when he thinks I should be stopping.
    • Posted

Good luck Shira

I hope you get some answers and a successful outcome/.

All the best.

Jean

• Posted

shira does saliva pill work and have you tried it do you have dry mouth

Im desperatd  sunca  sheila xoxxo thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.