Slight pain when urinating after laparotomy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I had my right ovary, tube and 12cm cyst removed 2 weeks and 3 days ago.

When I go to the toilet often it's uncomfortable at the end of my wee, I get like a pain like in my lower tummy. I went back to the hospital a week ago but they just gave be water infection antibiotics and It cleared it for a while but it seems to be back again. Sometimes it's more painful than others so it's not one constant ache. Has anyone else experienced this? And is this part of recovery or something more serious? I would be grateful for any advice thanks

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It could be uti, sometimes they are recurrent, def see your GP you might need more antibiotics. In the meantime drink plenty of water. Have they told you what type of cyst you had?  I have been diagnosed with left ovarian cyst  - I'm having another scan on Wednesday, to see if it has grown, if so I will have to have it removed. Two weeks post op is early days, and uti's are common after an op. Can I ask what your symptoms were from the cyst?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I think I shall book the doctors this week then And hopefully it's just a uti.

I didn't have symptoms to start with. I went for a 12 week pregnancy scan and they told me I had it then. They said it was complex but I opted not to have surgery during pregnancy as I didn't want to put any risk to my baby. It was only 5cm then. So 6 week after I had my baby I had a follow up and it had grown to 12cm and was still complex with my CA125 raised to 59 so they wanted it out. At this point I was having back ache and kept getting like period pain every now and then on my right side which seemed to be worse when I stood up but if I sat and relaxed it eased. I was so scared of cancer and right up to the operation I would cry and worry but the day after the op the consultant came to me and said the cyst looked like a dermoid cyst and these are mostly benign. She said it still needs to be tested but that she isn't worried. Well i felt like I had won the lottery! I have a follow up in 2 more weeks so she will probably go in more detail then so I will do an update on here. I feel so much better though and the back ache and side pain has totally gone. It's just this business with me weeing that I need to get sorted now lol! I hope you get sorted soon. All I would say is don't worry because if you do need an op it's not half as bad as you would imagine it to be! Good luck! smile

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth.                                               I had a 10cm cyst on the left ovary removed along with both tubes and overies.  I am 3 weeks post op, I had really bad pain on the left side the doctor first thought it was bowel related and gave me antibiotics this happened twice last year and once the beginning of this year . So the doctor sent me for a scan as she felt a lump in my tummy that's when they found the cyst. Some people get no pain others a lot . Xx karen

• Posted

Thanks Beck.  I am worried in case it's cancer, as they say, you don't get early symptoms.  I started with blood in urine, so was checked for bladder cancer - that's how they found cyst.  I have lower tummy and hip pain.  It is quite severe when I bend.  I also have back pain.  Oh well fingers crossed for both of us x 
    • Posted

The worst thing you can do is worry. Ovarian cancer is rare so the odds are with you so try not to over worry it doesn't solve anything and will just make you more anxious. I know it's easy said than done but I'm speaking from experience. Let me know how you get on. It helps to hear other people's experiences I think smile
    • Posted

I pray you good health I myself had found an 8.7in cyst on my left ovarie I've had it removed only just 2 days ago so I'm at my start of recovery my gc doc came down to the ward to explain exactly what happened etc she explained to me that my cyst basically took over my left ovarie there was only scar tissue left so I had cyst, partial ovarie nd left tube removed my gc doc said she was definitely sure my cyst wasn't cancerous just b9 tho they have to test it so they can give exact diagnosis etc just I'm greatful they took great care of me and explained every stepetc am greatful for nhs and nurses doc etc that provide detailed care to individuals each and every day just know your in safe hands and prayers for your recovery to elizabeth07 hope u no mind my leaving reply

• Posted

Thanks Beck - it's the waiting for the results - since January I have had five different scans including a cystoscopy.  Just need to know what's what and get myself sorted.  Please let me know how you get on x

• Posted

It sounds like a uti. They usually cath you for the procedure. And anytime females have a cath, even for short times, they can get them. I know I had one after mine. I would let your dr know and drink lots of water. You need some cranberry juice also. It is fantastic for uti's and overall bladder health. I drink it all the time. I love it. If you have any burning you can get some dye pills to help. They are called azo. You can get them at any store in the female product aisle. They will turn your urine bark orange and it stains so be careful. But it stops the urge, burn, and frequency of going.

Hope it helps.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to book the doctors tomorrow. It's strange because I don't have an urge to keep going and it's not a burning pain it's just a pain in my lower stomach as I'm coming to the end of a wee. Sometimes it's not as bad as other times though. UTIs can cause different symptoms though can't they so fingers crossed it is just that. I bought some cranberry juice but haven't tried it yet... think il get a glass now smile thanks for your help smile
    • Posted

Good plan. Always get to dr if you can. Please let us know what they say.
  • Posted

My results cam back, I'm 4 week post op and feeling great. I still have slight aches but the tissue test came back and the cyst was benign smile smile I feel like I have won the lottery! Thanks everyone for your support smile smile
    • Posted

Hi Beck, good to hear u r doing well.

Im experiencing the same issue and my doctor is unable to identify the issue and referred me to a Urogynea instead.. did the pain just go away after a while? Im 2monts post ops now

• Posted

Would you mind me asking why they chose to do a laparotomy rather than a laparoscopy? I have my surgery in less than a week and it sounds very similar to yours, but they have opted for laparoscopy (with a chance it could turn to the bigger op).

Hope you feel better soon xxx

• Posted

I'm 19 and I have the same problem...I had laparascopy 3 months ago due to 7cm ovarian cyst. After a month I started having bad back pain, it was painful to do something. It's better now because I went to physiotherapy for 3 weeks. I still have a slight pain and pins and needles every now and then...but now I started having pain when I urinate, and it hurts when I bend, and I have a feeling like my scars are hurting as well. I went to dr. I may have another cyst but it's only 17mm, she gave me some pills and that's all. I made an appointment with my gyn in 2 weeks but I'm so worried. It's 3 moths and it's all the same...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.