SNRA and episcleritis at 22!

Posted , 3 users are following.

my rheumatologist has diagnosed me with seronegative rheumatoid arthritis because I don't test but he says the clinical picture is obvious. I have recently developed episcleritis. which was in my right eye mildly following an injury. Today I have woken up with a red, tender eye that is now painful. Today my ophthalmologist put me back on Pred Forte four times a day in my left eye the current flare and twice in the right the one we are still treating. If the topicals don't work I will have to revisit with the rheumatologist to be put on a stronger DMARD to control this currently he has me on Plaquenill. I'm also only 22 years old and dealing with this and its sooo stressful! anyone else deal with this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Elizabeth....im so sorry you have to deal with this stuff at such a young age. There are certain kinds that affect young ppl. How many times have you had thrse episodes?
    • Posted

I have experienced these episodes about 4 times now. The one I am going through now has to be the worst one. So I am hoping these topical steroids can quiet it down if not I will habe to be put on another DMARD to controm this inflammation. I started to have RA symptoms after the birth of my second child and it has lead to this episcleritis that i hope quiets and doesnt turn into scleritis
    • Posted

How did you know your ra came from childbirth? I have had 6 children, all grown and so far this yr alone i have had contagious conjunctivitis in feb, bilateral epi in april and june and scleritis since sept. It stopped but i put one drop in that same left eye daily and its still pink in one corner but better than all over my cornea. I have had these conditions for less than 10 yrs and am getting tired of this
    • Posted

I had no symptoms or problems until after. Now im lucky to go without eye issues or any kind of pain in ny body
  • Posted

In Jan 2011 I suffered a Rheumatoid autoimmune reaction which resulted in Scleritis - I have never know pain like it.  I was treated at the Brighton Eye Hospital and even went for a consult with Carlos Pavesio at Moorfields.  I had been treated with high dose steroids, cyclophosphamide, anti immune drugs and enough pain killers to floor an elephant with no improvement.  In April the consultants decided that they had tried most drug theraphies so would try something more experimental - Retuximab - all the potential side effects were given to me (some of which were very scary) but I decided to go ahead as I could keep going as I was.  Two infusions and a month later I was free of pain and being taken off most of the other medication.  I had been warned that scleritis is likely to reoccur but 5 years on I am still pain free and have had no recurrence..
    • Posted

so glad to hear your doing well! Thats great I hope you keep on going without any recurrences. Right now I am dealing with episcleritis in both eyes worse in the left. My ophthamologist is treating me with Pred Forte, and I am also on plaquenill and naprosyn per the rheum. Because of my troubles though I will be returning to the rheum who is putting me on something different after discussion with my opthalmologist to help control this recurrence

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.