so scared of cardiac arrest with exercise. advice please!

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi guys, 

new to this forum. 

abit of my history in a brief paragraph - 

suffered anxiety and panick attacks since 2011.

i have had extra beats and rapid heart rates during times of anxiety, and alot of hospital trips. i never worried too much up till mid last year when i kept feeling extra beats during exercise. very rarely on rest, and 70% of the time on exercise. i had a round of tests done. an echocardiogram - which was normal, no valve abnormalities or thickening. i had a 48hr holter monitor - nothing exciting just a couple of pvc's and a pac. then i had a treadmill test for 12 minutes, stopped off my own accord due to anxiety, and that only uncovered sinus tachycardia due to the anxiety! 

i have other symptoms, chest pain/aching when at rest. sometimes i have a ache on the RIGHT side of the chest after a good 20 mins of exercise. nothing unbearable, but noticeable.

near enough 50% of the time, as im coming to the end of workout, i start getting anxious. it makes my heart rate ' stick ' on high, and a little lightheaded. 

i more worried about being that unlucky one that slipped through the net of the screening. how often is this? i have asked my E.P and doctor about fabrice muamba's situation and nobody will answer me correctly. is this because he is proof these screenings arent up to scratch? how could his condition be missed after four screenings!! it scares me.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think you are referring to ARVD.  There are several criteria to meet to diagnose this.  Some evidence from the ECG (inverted T waves and epsilon waves), monitor (VT) echo, MRI - info all available online.  There is also a genetic component.  Do not get anxious about pvc's.  If your  EP is not concerned about what he sees, don't be. Trysmile 
    • Posted

Maybe its ARVD what I mean then.

I'm sure it was HOCM though? 2014/15 reports say HOCM was found to be the cause.

Either way, HOCM or ARVD , let's keep using fabrice as an example, had at least one but probably more ecgs, and a couple of echo's in his premier time. How on earth was it missed? ARVD or HOCM should of shown quite a prominent set of abnormalities whether it on ecg or echo? Surely?

This is why I am having such a hard time relaxing about it. From what I can see, my E.P / CARDIOLOGISTS view point is if the tests I've had are looking normal as can be then its near enough impossible! However I am having symptoms. So surely he should perhaps look at a few cases like muambas to see that it can be missed or misdiagnosed, even without symptoms!

Thank you for the reply by the way

• Posted

Hi there, you're right, it was HCM.  The screening criteria is more thorough now because of incidents like this. Maybe wearing a monitor for a longer period is an option?  Or would he would be ok with reviewing an MRI?  It looks like it would be obvious there...ask him why he is ruling it out.  It sounds like you need to have a good discussion with him.  Or find another one willing to provide an explanation.  In the meantime, try to relaxsmile I am also taking myself into relaxing.  I have those (pvc's and VT) and I know they are scary.  Keep advocating for yourself.  It's your health!
    • Posted

thanks again for the speedy reply joane. means alot when your minds all over the place.

​i see. i must say in the past few years the advertising and screening has become more widespread. im not sure weather your familiar with screenings enough to give your opinion on how his would of been missed? sometimes i believe if i never knew of his or a couple others storys then i wouldnt worry half as much. as to what your saying about a longer holter, thats exactly what i asked for last week at my GP. she practically laughed at the request, and said shed look through my notes and decide if she needs to request one from the E.P. she called back this week and said she doesnt feel anything warrants one! i am at a dead end now. do you think i should call the E.P's secretary and ask if its possible to see him without a GP referral? i have thought about asking for a MRI but im afraid that it will make things worse as most non-anxious people dont even know what a cardiac MRI is. so he may think ive just been looking online too much.

• Posted

No problem, I know it's difficult.  I don't know enough about cardiac conditions to give my opinion on anything.  I am currently waiting for an MRI to rule out ARVD so I was looking through what could trigger deeper investigations. That's when I saw the mentions of arrythmias (ventricular tachycardia), t wave inversions, etc.... Are you in the UK?  I am not familiar with the system there.  Your EP is satisfied that information he has does not warrant further digging.  From what I have read, PVC's are not unusual.  If you do have a run of tachycardia, go to the ER or call EMS and ask them to hook you on the ECG for evidence to show your doctor. Take it easy until you're comfortable with what's going on.  smile 
    • Posted

Ok no problem. It's seemed near impossible to get a reason as to why his condition wasn't found. Well I asked my EP about arvc, which is the same if not similar thing to ARVD . he said he couldn't see any sign of it and without family history of unexpected deaths then nothing would warrant further investigation. That seems to be how it works here. They don't take your symptoms into account. They believe every test that comes back which has proved to be wrong in some situations although it rare. My view is anyone with symptoms and a clear screening should warrant a study of some sort or a longer holter as you say.
    • Posted

Yes...it's not that expensive....stay on course with your request.  Good luck!  Let us know what happens.
  • Posted

Sorry....it looks like a different heart muscle disease in his case.  If you think think you may have this, talk to your EP.  Let me take a look at how they found out.  Perhaps you can ask that it be ruled out?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.