So stressed out

Posted , 7 users are following.

A few months ago I noticed quite a lot of small white patches on my vulva.  For years I've had problems on and off but have never gone to see about it as they eventually go away. I've had what seem like blisters that bleed and what seems like boils and they occur more often around the time of my period. Also through the years I've had a burning sensation inside that's worse when using tampons and things like that. I've also had itching on and off around the vulva and inside the  vagina. I shaved to get a better look at these patches but thought nothing of it. A few months later and I started to look up google and my symptoms have led me to Lichen Sclerosus. I am 99.9 percent sure that this is what I have. I've been so depressed reading about it and I'm petrified and embarrassed to go to see my GP because I think it will result in waiting for a referral to a dermatologist or to get a biopsy and even with all that there is no cure and a lot of people cpmplain about the steroids. I've become so depressed that I barely go out and I've just been sitting in crying all the time feeling like a freak. My skin looks tighter and wrinkly and ugly and the labia majora looks weird and thickened and like it's lost its elasticity. I don't even feel like a proper woman anymore. I'm concerned about vulval cancer, fusing and shrinking and the fact that if it is an autoimmune disease I might end up getting another one because I read you can get diabetesthyroid problems. Also I'm not sure if it is related but for the last few months I've had two days of spotting before my period begins. This is new to me plus bad period pain for the last couple of months.

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Niki I understand what you are saying. I too waited a few years before I was sent to a gynocologist who immediatly knew what it was & started me off on the correct treatment. Don't be depressed - you are feeling just what I went through & sometimes when down I still do a bit. But honestly having this isn't the end. You really do need to get a referal to a gynocologist. I saw a lady gyno., In Canterbury Kent & she was brilliant and so understanding. There are a number of things people are being prescribed and  I am much better now I know for sure what is wrong with me and I have mine under control so much that I only see the gynocologist when I have a real problem - for the last 18 months I have managed it myself. They describe to you what to look for re cancer & it hardly ever happens so don;t freat ,you may never get it.The first thing is get the diagnosis & you will probably have a biopsy too - but it's no worse than having a smear test. Don't be embarished about going to your DR but be forceful say you want a gynocologist appointment asap because you are feeling so depressed. But believe me there are far worse things to have - Best to get it checked out and hear what the professional has to say - don't put it off as you are making yourself ill & stress isn't a good thing is it. Most of the time now I am totally unaware that I have LS & I even know people who don't even use the creams anymore. So get to the Drs asap. Best Wished x
    • Posted

Thanks Carol. I'm trying to look up google to get reassurance but it ends up that I get the opposite. x

• Posted

I know I have to go to see my GP I'm just dreading it. I prefer to go to the same one but I've been unlucky in trying to get an appointment with her. I'm going to have to make an appointment with her on Monday x

• Posted

Do that , she the Dr you feel comfortable with. I'm afraid sometime when you look things up on the webb it can frighten you and seem a lot worde than it is & you can imagine all sorts of things. Honestly , I was the same. Now I am so glad the gynocologist sorted it . I know what to do when it starts to flair up & the gynocologist is just an appointment away if I need her - but I haven't needed her for 18 months. Best wishes x
  • Posted

Not to put more worries into your mind,but have you looked up vaginal atrophy
    • Posted

I have looked it up but fortunately everything looks fine on the inside at the moment it's just the external appearance

• Posted

Niki, we've all been exactly where you are. It sounds like you'll have an easy visual diagnosis and won't need a biopsy. The steroid ointment takes many months to settle the symptoms, so you want to get started.

Do stop looking at pictures on the internet. Those are badly neglected cases. You will be in good hands as soon as you see a gynaecologist. Freaking out is making the flare-up worse. Stress is our worst enemy.

If your period has changed, maybe you're in perimenopause. Most women get LS around menopause, although some get it young. I've had LS for 40 years.

The burning can sometimes be yeast. The two problems seem to feed off each other, both made worse by sugar.

You've come to the right place!

• Posted

If it is LS is it absolutely certain that fusing will happen and does the creams in no way help that?

• Posted

I have suspected mild LS by gyno.Derm says its not..i have no idea.She said its mild if thats what i have.My itching is almost gone.She claims if it is LS it may not ever spread or get worse,so i would say no,just because you might have it doesnt mean you will get fuseing.only way to be 100 percent sure is with a biopsy.Other things can mimic it.
    • Posted

If mine is LS its helped just useing 1 percent over the counter cortisone cream.
    • Posted

I will just have to bite the bullet and see my GP I suppose

• Posted

I am post menopause..and i have atrophy.You probably dont as you are so young.
    • Posted

Well i hope you feel better,i recently found out i have the atrophy and am freaking out over that,so i totally understand.
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that it's understandable you feel that way. I'm also freaking out I'll end up disfigured or something and I wouldn't like my quality of life to suffer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.