Sole kidney, CKD3 and very high blood pressure

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone with CKD3 and just one kidney found a blood pressure medication that doesn't produce horrid side effects but controls high BP, without further lowering kidney function, please?

In the last 18 months have tried Amlodipine, Diltiazem, Ramipril, Candesartan, Indapamide, all with nasty side effects, the last one causing large and fast drop in kidney function.  Am on Losartan which suits me fine but it's doing nothing for my BP which is frighteningly off the screen.  In fact, I'm even wondering whether it's possible for the Losartan to make my BP higher.  Seeing renal consultant again tomorrow who is trying to control my BP. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can only think of 1 more.....doxazosin
    • Posted

Matt, thanks for your reply.  Are you speaking from personal experience with both kidney disease and doxazosin?  There do seem to be many people complaining about the side effects of doxazosin on this site.
    • Posted

Hey Mrs. O. Yes, I'm at 8% so no room for anything that'll make me worse!! Been on Doxazosin for over a year now (16 months). I was on 8mg twice a day, but now on 8mg AM only (just because my bp has improved).

HTH, good luck!x

• Posted

Sorry....forgot to say, I have zero side effects from doxazosin. 😀
    • Posted

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your low function, Matt, and am so grateful for your advice about Doxazosin.  It is one that my renal consultant briefly referred to in a previous appointment but then at the next appointment dismissed yet more new pills after the blood tests following a few weeks on Indapamide revealed so many abnormal results - and the sudden drop in kidney function really panicked me.  I'm in a catch 22 situation with my kidney probably causing the high BP and my high BP putting further strain on the kidney.  Awkward patient!  Thanks so much, Matt, and I wish you well - you're, no doubt, much younger than me and my heart goes out to you and other younger people battling kidney disease.
    • Posted

Oh dear....not nice. I understand the problem well. I have to take tacrolimus (anti rejection for a liver transplant) which is destroying the kidneys, hence the rubbish function. Had the transplant in March 2012 and been on and off dialysis, but now it's about to start on a permanent basis. I'm 42 so not too young really! Btw, I take amlodopine too and did have a reaction in the first week but it settled out after that so I'm still on it as well as the Doxy.
    • Posted

42 is too young Matt - I have a son aged 42!  How frustrating for you that there isn't an anti-rejection med available that doesn't harm another organ.  Thank Heavens for dialysis.  My eGFR of my sole kidney is at 45 today so CKD stage 3b.  Amlodipine was a no-no for me causing so much fluid retention in my lower legs that it eventually led to varicose eczema.  However, hubby takes it without any noticeable side effects.  Well I've had my renal appointment today, and he has now prescribed Bisoprolol - he didn't make it clear at the appointment (or I didn't hear!) whether he intends me to take it alongside the Losartan or instead of, so have sent him an email.  My BP was 209/95 at home last night and 185/84 at the hospital today,  A little relieved at today's result as I usually have white coat syndrome at the hospital so was expeing an even higher reading.  I did ask him whether he thought that something to do with my kidney was causing the high BP but he dismissed that thought - I guess my age goes against the cost of investigating!  I hope in spite of dialysis, Matt, you are enjoying a good quality of life - fingers crossed for you. 
    • Posted

Thx my dear! Amlodopine did exactly the same to my right leg (left leg amputated at same time as liver TX). Puffed up to stupid size. Had dialysis for 3 months to get me back to normal, but they said they didn't want to stop it. Think my body kinda finally accepted the drug!

good luck to you too! Hope the single one holds on for as long as possible!x

• Posted

Thanks, Matt - you have been through it, you brave soul - I'll raise a glass to you tonight.....even if it is water or beetroot juice!
    • Posted

Hi can I ask if your legs reduced after stopping amlodipine and if you had any other side effects from it.
    • Posted

Mine did after a couple of weeks, but I could have got the swelling from an infection I had at the time.
    • Posted

Deni, the lower leg/feet swelling was the only side effect that I noticed.  It was affecting my quality of life in that my legs felt heavy when walking and caused difficulty  going up and down the stairs and once the varicose eczema was diagnosed I decided after a couple of months that I didn't wish to take it any more.  The swelling started disappearing almost immediately; however, the reddened, blotchy skin around the ankle area hasn't shifted.  If I'd stopped the pills earlier, perhaps that too would have disappeared.  They did try to keep me on it and add a diuretic to reduce the swelling but I baulked at the idea of taking one medicine to counteract the effects of the other.
    • Posted

Was the infection cellulitis, Matt?  If it was that could still have been as a result of the Amlodipine causing fluid build up.
    • Posted

I'm on a duretic and amlodipine but still don't recognise my legs 😕
    • Posted

Hi guys I know it's an old post but I just wanted to add that I had cellulitis in both upper ankles / lower calves after being on 5MG of amlodopine for a few months and up until now i didnt count or realize that as a side effect but do now! Although it wasn't nice and the area still feels a little bit numb this side effect was the best one out of them all. Watch that amlodopine especially for slow creeping side effects over years!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.