Sole kidney, CKD3 and very high blood pressure

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone with CKD3 and just one kidney found a blood pressure medication that doesn't produce horrid side effects but controls high BP, without further lowering kidney function, please?

In the last 18 months have tried Amlodipine, Diltiazem, Ramipril, Candesartan, Indapamide, all with nasty side effects, the last one causing large and fast drop in kidney function.  Am on Losartan which suits me fine but it's doing nothing for my BP which is frighteningly off the screen.  In fact, I'm even wondering whether it's possible for the Losartan to make my BP higher.  Seeing renal consultant again tomorrow who is trying to control my BP. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I am on monoxodine, like you the others gave horrible side effects leaving me not being able to function properly, with sickness absoloutley horrid. As a last resort I tried monoxodine I have one in the morning and one at night with no nasy effects and it lowers my BP.  May be worth a try for you to see if it helps x

• Posted

Thanks, Helen.  Not quite sure what family of hypertensive pills Monoxodine belongs to so will look it up.  Little bit concerned about taking the bisoprolol as it isn't one that you can just come off easily without risking heart problems.  I'm glad you've found one that works for you especially as I know you have plenty else to deal with.
    • Posted

Hi Mrs O,

Its quite new I think, it wasn't something that I have ever been offered in the past.  Its not from the normal family as you quite rightly say.  I do hope you find something that suits soon as there is nothing worse than medication that is supposed to help but makes you feel worse.  I am of the same opinion as you I won't take a medicine to stop the effects of another, in my mind how is that helping as all of them have there side effects (some not very nice at all) good luck in your quest xx

• Posted

No one can give you an answer to this ? since everyone reacts differently to all these meds. I have end stage renal disease, on dialysis and my blood pressure is all over the place, so I constantly have to experiment with different meds and dosages to keep b/p down. A real problem with no good answers.
    • Posted

Yes, a lot of experimentation. The strange thing I find is my BP seems to go through the roof after my dialysis session!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, trab, although I'm sorry to hear that you are having to cope with end stage renal disease and dialysis like Matt.

The latest situation for me is that my GP is loathe to increase my dose of the recently introduced BP med, Bisoprolol, as the initial blood test showed a further 3 points knocked off the eGFR since starting it.  Instead, she is writing back to the consultant for his advice re the way forward.  I guess, he will either say to increase the Bisoprolol dose or suggest adding a third anti-hypertensive.  

The kidneys obviously play a huge role in blood pressure control, so perhaps it's very common for most people with reduced function to experience out-of-control BP - hopefully, their bodies are not as sensitive to the drugs as mine whilst at the same time controlling their BP!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.