Some ground meat causing IBS flare up, others not--why?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Next week I'll have a friend from America visiting me in the UK for a month, and I'm trying to compile a list of foods that set off her IBS so that I know what to avoid when cooking. However, she's only been recently diagnosed--about six months ago--and she's still learning what does and doesn't upset her. One of the items that she's listed as a no-go is ground red meat; it makes her sick when she eats it prepared by her family, and yet she can eat food from fast food places such as Taco Bell without any repercussions. (Yes, I know--I wouldn't exactly call that 'meat' myself, but...!)

What I'm wondering is, exactly what might it be in the meat that's setting her off? Could it be the natural oils that come out when cooking ground meat, that might not be present in fast food meats, which are usually cooked until they're very dry? My last housemate had IBS as well and an issue with red meat isn't something that I've heard of before, so I thought that this forum might help me to understand it all a little better. I could, of course, avoid cooking her meat altogether, but since her diagnosis she's stopped eating almost completely and is clinically underweight, so I'm determined to try and feed her up a little while she's visiting. The more foods I can get her to realise she can eat without getting sick, hopefully the better for her, in the long run!

In case it's of any help to spot trends, the foods that she knows she can't eat so far are: sausage (including chorizo and pepperoni), spices, black pepper, ground meat, caffeine, carbonated drinks, and cheese (non-white and cheddar).

Thank you in advance for the help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'd avoid mushrooms, garlic and onions, and gluten. All of which are usually present in the foods your friend has already identified as no-go areas. Try having a look at Low FODMAP recipies. it might give you some inspiration. Enjoy the visit. 

Jan

• Posted

I would think it's something that people are putting in the recipe rather than the meat itself, since fast food is ok (when this is usually a trigger for ibs). Maybe her family are putting onion, garlic or lots of oil in the dishes they cook?

Everyone is different but common ibs triggers are : garlic, onion, fatty food or fried food, spicy foods, dairy, whole wheat, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, nut and seeds.

Try and encourage her to keep a food diary so she can spot patterns more easily.

• Posted

I agree with the comments above.

If you want to make food whilst she's here, consider:

Grilled or roast chicken and fish with herbs and spices as flavouring - no onion or garlic

Baby spinach, tomato and new potato salad - no lettuce, cucumber, or pre-made dressings

Baked potato - sweet potato or normal potato - with marg not butter, herbs or black pepper and I sprinkle of extra mature cheddar (the lactose in cheeses set me off but I'm okay with a little of the extra mature stuff)

Buy genius bread, crumpets and seeded rolls from the supermarkets. The price has come down in price and I find these are the nicest gf breads out there.

Also, buy some dove farm flour, gf baking powder and xanthum gum (available at most supermarkets). Keep your flour in the freezer as I find this makes it stay 'useable!?!?'. Then, you can make crepes (with oat milk, almond milk or other nut milks), pastries, cakes, etc and not feel like she's missing out on tasty desserts

I hope she has a wonderful time visiting you xxx

• Posted

Fast food is one of the most common triggers for IBS cos its not really fresh is it? And you cannot determine what goes into the ongredients so its really shocking to hear your lucky friend dsnt seem to react! I have never had a problem with home cooked red meat. And i Suffer from IBS something crazy. So it coukd be something of the ingredients like the guys above said.

Hope the visit goes well xx

• Posted

Firstly I will state I have no idea what triggers my illness but the symptoms are not as frequent since I took advice from the doc and a dietician so cutting out these foods is not a cure but may have been beneficial.

The very first thing I was asked to give up was processed meats so the 2 for £7 you will find in most supermarkets. This includes bacon, sausage and salami.

I have not eaten this since on a just in case basis

I too have lost a lot of weight and although not clinical like your friend but I was heavy set so now many people who see me think I look ill.

I also think there is a fear of eating too as the illness which follows is unpleasant and often costly in terms of time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.