Sore tongue

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had a sore tongue for quite a few weeks. No apparent thrush. Tongue has a crater like appearance and  is a bit red. I am assuming it is the Pred. Has anyone had anything similar? If so how did you do to treat it. Thank you Kathy.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you're in the U.K. I'd go to a pharmacist. They should be able to tell whether or not you could get something for the symptoms you describe. I had something like that, not due to Pred. Uncomfortable but went away on its own eventually. 

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I live in Australia I am due to see the my GP next week. I don't know why I haven't mentioned it to her before. I think sometimes the discomfort of PMR takes over my thoughts and I forget to mention other stuff. I will try the Vit B as suggested by MariGrace. This forum is such a great support for us all.Take care. 

• Posted

With a different autoimmune disease, I've struggled with canker sores, sore mouth, etc.  The treatment that has helped has been vitamin B6 -B12.  My vitamin D is very low, too, so take that, but it is the B vitamins that have help my mouth issues over the years.  I have noticed that with the onset of PMR 4+ months ago, my canker sores have been recurring so restarted the B.

I'm on 30 mg of prednisone- down from 60 at the beginning.  

Hope you find something that helps.  

MariGrace - very thankful to be learning so much from the members of this list.

• Posted

Hello MariGrace. Your suggestions are very good. I didn.t think about the Vit B-B12. As mentioned in my post to Celia I am seeing my GP next week so will ask if it would be worthwhile having a Vit B shot. How are you going on the 30 mgms of Pred? I wouldn't get any sleep if I was on that dose.!!!!. I am on 13.5mgms reducing down. I seem to be very sensitive to reduction in doses. You take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi,  I'm on here because of my husband and his issues.  I'm not on any medications like prednisone. I was having trouble with my tongue this past spring and summer with the same description as you.  To make a long story short I was given a B-12 shot for another reason and my tongue completely healed up.  So I would try a vitamin.

Good luck as it is annoying.  

• Posted

Hi Ashley. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. Yes. I think the Vit B suggestion is well worth a go. I will let everyone know how I go. .How is your hubby doing?
  • Posted

Kassiebeetle, yes I had a sore tongue last year while on Pred. Seem to get less painful under 10 mg. This year after flare less discomfort in the mouth, but definitely not normal. To me just one of the Pred side effects.

Think positive, smile on my face. 🙂

• Posted

I am glad that you and others have had similar symptoms. It is good to know we are not alone in this PMR journey. I am also taking oral steroids in the form of an inhaler for Lung disease. That wouldn't be helping either. But as I mentioned in the original post I don't have any signs of thrush. So me thinks this is something different. Thanks for your advice. Cheers Kath

• Posted

No, Kath we are not alone on this PMR journey. This forum has been a great help to me. I have learned more about PMR with the guidance of the people on the forum. EileenH has been unbelievable sharing her knowledge. I have a Rhemy who will not think out of the box, her way or the highway. I am affraid that we will have a falling out shortly. Without the forum I would be lost. Think positive, smile on your face. 🙂

• Posted

Don't assume it is pred - except it could be a form of thrush which doesn't always appear as white curds! Do check with your doctor. 

Out of interest - what do you mean by crater-like?

• Posted

Thanks Eileen. My tongue is not smooth as it should be. It has fissures in it. I just looked up pictures of tongue and that is the closest description. How is hubby going with his radium?
    • Posted

Not too bad as far as I know - he doesn't say much! The first 2 weeks he was very tired but that seems to have improved.

The biggest problem is the weather! After a summer that was 3-4C too hot, we are having an autumn that is 3-4C too cold. Which would be fine but we are using the campervan to be closer to the r/t unit! Means half an hour drive instead of one and a half hours but it is a bit chilly outside at present. My granddaughter pointed out it was normal for them - but we are spoiled after 8 years here! We'd normally be away with the van at this time - but with this sort of weather we'd also elect to either stay at home or go further south! Ah well...

• Posted

Best thoughts for your husband, hoping his journey is a smooth one. Thanks for your help on my journey.

🙂

• Posted

Good luck to your husband Eileen. My husband is cancer free after 5yrs not good side affects, but it is good support our husbands, as mine is very supportive with my PMR, since reading some of the forum comments He has a better understanding. If it is any concellation Eileen the weather in the UK is not good, I was expecting an Indian summer in September after such an awful August.

oh well can't have it all, on a lighter note I believe it is 98 days until Chidtmas🎄

Look  after yourself as welll as looking after your husband. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.