Splitting zopiclone 7.5

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys,

Ive been prescribed zopiclone 7.5mg as I'm not sleeping at all no matter what I do and at the moment these appear to be the only things that can give me some sleep. As well as struggling to fall asleep I find it hard to stay asleep(even with zopliclone) which I know has a short half life, and once I wake up (usually around 2-3am) there is no way I can get back to sleep.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to split the tablet in half and take the first half when I go to bed and the second when I wake up in the middle of the night? Has anyone tried that method for a longer overall sleep time?

I'm aware of the risks of zopliclone, it's just at the moment it's this or no sleep at all!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes do it like that if it works for you.   I would fall asleep and wake up in the middle of the night and would have my zopiclone ready with my glass of water.

Try it!!!

Denyse

• Posted

Hi Kris,

Yes i do exactly that. I split the zopiclone in two doses. An hour before i go to bed then the other when im in bed. Good luck. You are bot alone

• Posted

Hi Kris4615, 

I happened to see your post by chance as I came here to look up a different medical issue. I have been taking Zopiclone for something like 7 years, and was having the exact same issue as you -- after taking the pill, I would fall asleep just fine, but I would wake up at 3 am and couldn't fall back asleep. About two years ago (?) I started splitting my pill in half, taking the first one at bedtime and then taking the second one after I woke up in the middle of the night. It has worked very well for me. The only problem is that the pill is extremely bitter, so when I swallow the broken half, I do get a lingering terrible taste in my mouth. I'm also just a little concerned that this is somehow dangerous (exposing the interior medication to the surface of the throat), and in fact I asked about this here on this site as well as my family doctor and a pharmacist, and they said they thought it should be fine. 

The other thing I want to point out is that somehow I don't seem to have developed a tolerance all these years. I am still on the 5 mg. In fact initially they tried upping the prescription (when I said I was waking up in the middle of the night) but I had to ask them to reduce it again because it was leaving me feeling drowsy and out of it during the day. 

Best of luck with this, and sleep well! smile

• Posted

Usually early waking is due to a Cortisol spike, this hormone is released usually in the morning and it's what actually wakes us up and gives us that kick to get out of bed.

Anyone with stress, depression and especially anxiety/panic attacks will over produce Cortisol and often will wake many times.

Also its important to understand the sleep wake cycle.

EVERY HUMAN BEING WAKES UP about 6 times a night, stage 1 of sleep is a lucid wake state - we go:

Stage 1/2/3/REM/3/2/1

So we cycle through a complete sleep cycle and come back to stage 1 many times, we all wake up but USUALLY go immediately into stage 2 (real sleep) but again those with mental health issues can be super sensitive and wake from stage 1 completely.

Your best bet is to try stuff like meditation and mindfulness and breathing techniques to reduce your Cortisol levels before sleep. Also have a note pad by your bed and write down everything in your head before you sleep as often the sub conscious will wake the mind up to deal with unresolved issues.

So you might find you're waking because of thoughts or feelings.

• Posted

Hi Kris,

I have recently been prescribed Zopiclone 7.5mg.

In answer to your question, and in case anyone else is worried about splitting the 7.5mg pills, having just carefully read the Package leaflet {Information for user) I note the following (towards the end of the back of the leaflet)

1. What Zopiclone looks like and contents of the pack:

Zopiclone 7.5mg film coated tablets:

'White, round, biconvex film coated tablets with 'Z &2' separated with break line on one side and break line on the other side. The tablet can be divided into equal doses.'

Section 3. How to take this medicine states:

'Take just before bedtime in a single intake and do not take again during the same night'.

My intention is not to advise about what you should or shouldn't do. I'm just repeating what the leaflet in the box says.

Anyway, I hope this info is helpful and thanks for the warning about the vile taste!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.