Squats After A Hip Replacement

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am 24.5 weeks post op after posterior TLHR. Can you do squats after a hip replacement or eventually cross your legs. Physio's do not give any answers.

This morning I joined a step aerobics class and tomorrow will go to a new pilates class. I feel I need to try and get more flexible and know, one day soon, I will need to try and cross my legs, whilst sitting on the floor. Anyone know if this will be possible.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't cross legs. Im on 65th hip surgery. If u do squats don't go past 90. Hip dislo is the worst pain you will ever feel.

• Posted

Wow patrick, you sound like you have been through the mill with your hips. Thank you for your input, my fear now is dislocation therefore, I am trying to find out people's experiences.

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

Did you really have multiple hip surgeries?

Was it dislocated due to crossing your legs?

• Posted

Posterior approach also. Started crossing my legs after the 6 weeks of restrictions were lifted. As far as squats, have not done one since leaving the Marine Corps.  Always have the slight risk of a dislocation. 
    • Posted

Steve,

I was told 12 weeks precautions then, at my six week check up the doctor I saw said to be careful for another six months after the 12 weeks. Going on that I have another 3 months of being careful. I am getting a bit fed up of not knowing what to expect and as I said, the physio's are useless, the only advice they will give is, if it hurts don't do it.

• Posted

Yes I did dislocate crossing my legs and also my couch sets to low when I go to get up it pops out. I had a hip surgery in March of this yr. Duke. Put my hip in backwards. I had another one on july. I still can't walk. I dislocated my hip any way you can think of. First popped out in 2009 ever since I had not stayed home a week. Back to hospital and rehab

• Posted

I do ‘controlled’ squats with a Bowflex machine. I only go down to about a 80% bend then back up. You can also do a controlled squat with a chair directly behind you as you go down - just in case. I am 6 weeks post and hip(s) doing very well. Had 1st one done in January and 2nd 6 weeks  ago. You really should take a precaution with this one as squats could put quite the strain on the hip. Follow this guideline: Don’t overdo it but don’t underdo it either. Sounds like you’re not under doing it at all.
  • Posted

I am at 9 weeks now, and already doing squats and back in the gym !

I have had a pretty remarkably good recovery though, not typical.

I was able to cross my legs before my last revision (revision due to ceramic disintegrating due to being put in incorrectly).  Don't do it until AT LEAST 6 months post-op though, the dislocation risk is just way too high.

I was able to climb my workshop and (with help from my son) replace the flat roof at about 6 months after my initial THR - taking great care at all times.

• Posted

How far are you going down graham when you do the squats? In Pilates there are exercises where you sit on the mat and cross your legs, then bend to the side. I can get over that by sitting with legs straight out as prior to hip op if need be.
    • Posted

Are you talking about sitting cross legged as opposed to crossing yr legs?  I can nearly sit cross legged, just can't get my legs flat. 15 weeks post 2nd leg. 

• Posted

Yes denise, when doing pilates you need to sit on the floor and cross your legs as we did when children. I never sit normally with my legs crossed anyway so that is not an issue for me.
  • Posted

hi,im 7 months post op,and ive caught myself crossing my operated leg over-without thinking,my surgeon did say DONT-at least when he was there as he didnt want a heart attack,but ive had no ill effects,i also do squats,but only as low as youd go if you were sitting on a dining chair xx
  • Posted

I am 8 weeks post op and have just started to, very carefully, dry my feet and put trainers on etc. I include squats in my exercises down to just below 90 degrees but wouldn't want to push it any further. Most things you can achieve by kneeling rather than squating. It seems to me that any extreme position that really "folds" your body up is not a good idea.

• Posted

You are braver than me marion. Your exercise seem more advanced than I was doing at 8 weeks which was mainly walking. As I started step aerobics on sunday squatting is a move used, that is why I am curious as to how low I should go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.