Squats After A Hip Replacement

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am 24.5 weeks post op after posterior TLHR. Can you do squats after a hip replacement or eventually cross your legs. Physio's do not give any answers.

This morning I joined a step aerobics class and tomorrow will go to a new pilates class. I feel I need to try and get more flexible and know, one day soon, I will need to try and cross my legs, whilst sitting on the floor. Anyone know if this will be possible.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The answer is everyone is different.  Some people will have more mobility after surgery some people will  not be able to do certain things.  I can now squat to the ground but i would never do this with weights but it has taken me a year and one month to get to that point.  there are things i cant do in yoga because i feel the stretch and the minute i feel a tightness in any of hte muscles i ease off.  

for example i can now squat i can plank, i can (an donly recently) have been able to do warrior 2 with ground touching near a wall as balance is off as my other hip is getting bad. but i cant sit with my legs crossed fully supported.  

What iv done tho is put in so much effort into every tiny muscle group for the past year, iv done NO cardio only walking and strength work i might dance around like a idiot occasionally but i try not to tire out the muscles or over work them. Iv also lost almost none of the fat i wanted to loose because of the no cardio but i did try doing about 20 mins at each gym session but i was left incredibly sore and worn out. 

I was acutally given squats by the hospital physio as part of the post physio exercises so was doing them 2 days after surgery, due to the muscle changed prior to surgery even a 10% squat felt like a sky scraper amount. i built it up to doing 100 squats less than 90 degress every day but got bored of that and found no benefit. I return to my small muscle group exericses that we were given post op twice a week while cooking dinner if not more just to keep on top of eveything. i have ANkolysinig spondalytis (that i cnt spell) and my left hip is weakening so your situation may be different but my rule of thumb is always walk before i run and make sure i do everythign 100% properly no cheating until its easy then progress the exercise. 

im literally scared to go to exercises classes tho incase i cant cope so it would be interesting to know you you find htem 

• Posted

As you say hipster, everyone is different and recovers at different rates. I could never have tried squats 2 days after surgery with the clips in.

I went to step aerobics yesterday and that was okay, good to get back exercising properly, today it was pilates, I did not do moves I felt unsuitable for a 24 week post operative hip but managed most moves and my hip seemed better for it.

I will take it easy until next year and hope the hip then feels more normal.

I hope you can get your other hip sorted soon.

• Posted

I'm back the gym but only doing short session with cross trainer, treadmill and exercise bike. Am very happy with that at 8 weeks but really look forward to a full session and more flexibility. From various posts on this site I think that takes more like a few months than a few weeks. Seems we hippies have to learn to be patient!

• Posted

Kinda hoping I get as long as Incan out that left one lol it's a tough one between getting it out the way or getting as long as I can as I'm only 30 now.

Ah I didn't get clips just butterflies and disolvables and I still a year and a month later have zero feeling in the area and almost no scar but a huge divit I can shiv my fist into which i take as when the muscle was sliced it hasn't come back together properly which might be why I can't manage cardio as much.

I do yoga because I already did yoga and know yoga but Pilates is the recommended as it's less "stretchy" I will try going to a step class. You've motivated me :-). Let us know how I feel with the squats it did take me months to feel not tight in them xx

• Posted

Marion,

Everytime you post, your positivity and energy amaze me. I was only thinking about using my elliptical walker at 8 weeks, then left it until week 10. Keep it up, you are doing brilliantly.

• Posted

Thanks for this, Jen. I hope what I post is helpful and encouraging to other people. Having a THR is a big deal and I think sites like this give us the opportunity to support each other. I've come to the conclusion that it's as much a mental journey as a physical one. I tried several exercises for the first time at the hospital with the physio assuring me I wouldn't fall in half! I know I wouldn't have been brave enough to try at home on my own. Now I tell myself if I did it at the hospital I can do it at home. I do VERY slowly and carefully at first but then my brain begins to believe in myself and I make progress.

• Posted

I am several months post total hip replacement surgery due to osteoarthritis. I would suggest you not ever cross your legs again. If there’s even a hint of possibility of a dislocated hip by doing that, I would not do it. My right hip surgery anterior approach in January went well. However my left hip surgery anterior approach six weeks after did not, and had to be redone. Suffice it to say that the apparatus that was implanted in my left hip was too small for the socket and while I was in my surgeon's office for a follow up visit, while I was pacing instead of sitting, it dislocated mid stride and I ended up on the floor. Emergency surgery followed via the posterior approach involving 47 staples and pain was indescribable. one week in hospital and two weeks in a rehab center. I suggest you stay off the floor and never cross your legs again. You do not need a dislocated hip if you can avoid it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.