St johns wort/ 5htp

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.

Has any ever taken st johns wort or 5htp? There meant to to help with anxiety and depression, I'm clutching at straws here I'm struggling with fluoxetine.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yep.  I'm on 5-HTP and l-tyrosine, but you can't take these if you're of Fluoxetine.  5-HTP is a natural SSRI and don't have side effects (though some people are slightly sensitive to them).

However I'm on them after recovering with prescription meds.  Fluoxetine and similar meds are tough, but they do work for many people.  They take a long time but worth the wait.  

My son was on Fluoxetine and he went through hell - but he stuck it out and recovered after 9 months.  They're not for everyone of course, but do speak to your doctor if you're struggling.

K x

• Posted

You shouldn't take st John's wort if you are on Flouextine too, it can cause serotonin syndrome so avoid if you can. Magnesium is okay to take its a natural mood enhancer but it can take 2 months too take effect

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.