Started Prozac and have some not so nice side effects…

Posted , 5 users are following.

insomnia, incresed anxiety, and not feeling hungry. Anyone here been through this and have some positive stories for me ? ive bren taking it for a week and a half

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bexy

yes its very normal side effects, also can be increased anxiety, depression, insomnia, very vivid dreams, night sweats, jitters, nausea and lost of appetite, fogginess and much more. But its all normal, it will go away, just take it easy, try to look after yourself.

These meds taking time to work, so patience is an answer. Side effects will go away one by one and you will start to get better slowly for few minutes, than hours, days and etc

Stay strong and patient for at least 12 weeks to see good results. Sometimes take less time and sometimes longer.

If you need to talk or support -i am here

• Edited

Hi Bexy, all sounds very familiar - I'm just a few weeks ahead of you, but I had all of those side effects plus those Natalya listed as well! They WILL gradually pass off, please keep on going and don't give up, it's quite rare that these medications don't work despite a lot of scary stories you might read on the Web. A lot of folk give up because of the side effects but persevering is essential, and before you know it, more weeks have passed. I'm having a bit of a dip in this week 7 as in my first post today, but starting to feel much better in week 6, which means it must be starting to work! It's the uncertainty that they will work that gets a lot of people down I feel, but eventually they will work, some people take a bit longer, so have to dig into the resolve and resilience a bit longer - I am looking at it as a challenge, which it has been, but I've got this far and surprised myself. I've lost about 2 stone but was ill before I started the fluo so didn't have the best start, having to stop for a while to get rid of a UTI and have a colonoscopy!!! I'm eating again now but completely lost my appetite for a month, don't worry it'll come back and you'll stop feeling sick. Bananas really helped, and plain cereals. Cut out as much sugar as possible, as it feeds the cortisol your body produces especially in the mornings, which is the adrenaline that increases the morning anxiety, and any caffeine. Also no booze, it really does mess you up - I've been alcohol free since July so 5 months now, tbh it's the last thing I need now! Any questions please get in touch, we're here to help you x

• Edited

i have increased anxiety and no appetite. day 14 here.

• Edited

Hi Joanne, keep on going!! It's a really difficult thing to get on these meds, plus fighting the actual illness itself at the same time. I'm struggling but although I can eat now without feeling sick, I don't really have any appetite, but I know it'll return, I've lost 2 stones in weight over 3 to 4 months. Have you tried some smoothies, I make one with strawberry, banana and blueberries with full milk and a handful of porridge oats and a bit of honey, it's quite filling. also ginger biscuits and bananas, which have loads of potassium in them, a lot of sports people have bananas, it's great and loaded with good stuff you need now, and easy to force down when feeling nauseous - I had to pinch my nose sometimes to help get stuff down while doing a crossword to distract myself but hey, whatever works! What might surprise you is the speed that changes can happen, I go from freaking out anxiety to sudden calm in a few minutes sometimes, I find laying down and trying to make my mind blank helps - it's not our fault this is happening to us so I don't feel guilty about anything either. I had some tablets from the doctor with the fluox called propranolol which helped a bit in the mornings with the anxiety attacks. All the best, we're all here to help as we're all going through it in different stages, like you are, so welcome to the fun factory. Get in touch whenever you want to and someone will get back to you, you're not alone in this horrible journey. All best wishes x oh, have a look for a poster called KateCogs who is very much a legend on here, and Nataliya.k who's been so kind and helpful to me and has posted some great info. Take care, breathe deep!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.