Still bloated after gallbladder removal?

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hello guys it's me again. So I have been having a couple of issues after my gallbladder removal on August 5th. My stomach seems to feel very full now. This happened maybe 3-4 days after my surgery. I also started getting nauseous. But what bothers me the most is this bloated feeling. It's very uncomfortable and I can't eat much because I feel so stuffed and the nausea makes it worse. If I do try to eat my stomach literally feels like it's about to burst and it makes it hard to breathe. I've been walking here and there maybe 20 blocks each time as I was told walking will make the gas leave. But I feel so bad I'm not sure if anyone has experienced bloating this long? A friend of mine said her bloating and has left in a week. Is it possible to take ginger ale to help me burp, maybe gas x, anything? I just want to feel good again and I honestly feel sick. Don't think I'm constipated and I've been having bouts of diarreah and soft stool.

1 like, 185 replies

185 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would go back to the doctors immediately and get them to do an ultrasound, to make sure you haven't got an infection because that is not right.

I had my gallbladder out 10 years ago and although I now suspect I might have BAM , I didn't have your symptoms.

Good luck.

• Posted

How would you know if you have an infection? My incisions are healing nicely he said when I had my follow up appt last Thursday. Some people said they had bloating for up to 4 weeks so I thought it was alright?
    • Posted

If you had an infection You would have puss coming from your incision, a fever of 101 or higher, fluid type stuff leaking from your wound, have reddness around your wound. Ginger ale will help you if u have an upset stomach and eat saltine crackers those also help. I had my gallbladder taken out 5 days ago and i havent been really wanted to eat much because i havent. Had much of an appetite. If you want to talk more to im here
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder out on Aug 4.  My bloating is still slightly there but it mostly dissipated at the 10 day mark. My jeans fit again, although still a tad tighter than they should be. It really almost happened overnight. I would make an appointment for Friday.  That way if it's not better by then you can get in to see someone before the weekend.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out on Aug 4.  My bloating is still slightly there but it mostly dissipated at the 10 day mark. My jeans fit again, although still a tad tighter than they should be. It really almost happened overnight. I would make an appointment for Friday.  That way if it's not better by then you can get in to see someone before the weekend.

• Posted

I actually managed to fit into my jeans today! They fit but my stomach just feels bloated and sometimes does look bloated which has me worried. Will it leave eventually?
    • Posted

I think it should but there might be ways to help it along. A fever would be a sign of infection to answer your question from above. I think if you can now fit into your jeans, you aren't as bloated anymore as you think you are, it's just feeling that way. Remember you had an organ removed! It takes time for your body to fully adjust.

• Posted

I don't have a fever thank god and I called the hospital and they told me if my eyes get yellow or look it to go straight there. But nope I'm okay except for the discomfort in my stomach. This was my first surgery ever and I'm just nervous and scared sad. I didn't intent to get this to get and feel worse you know, I knew eventually I had to get my gallbladder out but this feeling makes me uneasy. And the nausea doesn't help but the bloated feeling makes it worse like I ate so much or something when I clearly haven't. I'd like to eat like before when I wasn't sick sad. I can't wait I'm so impatient but it's because I've felt sick for such a long time and now the healing process seems to be putting more challenges for me which sucks. Thanks for the reply by the way.

• Posted

I forgot to mention some people have told me they've developed gastritis after gallbladder surgery and I was thinking maybe it's this but I feel no burning in my stomach it's just the fullness feeling and my incisions hurt a bit sometimes like tugging so I'm thinking its just this. If anything I'll try to get in touch with my surgeon tomorrow.

• Posted

Hello Deesan. I was given a prescription for Ondansetron -  a disintegrating tablet for nausea. It has helped me with the nausea and I also haven' felt like eating even though I'm hungry. I'm only two days out from my surgery, so right now I'm feeling the right side pain for the first time in addition to bloating. Your doctor should be ok with giving you this script since it's not a narcotic. Post op for me is much better than the past month which were loaded with pain and sickness unlike anything I have ever had before. My doctor refused any pain meds pre-op, so it was back and forth to the ER just to get relief and stop getting sick. Fastest 35 pounds I've ever lost! Would love to know how it's going for you after a year. I hope this helps someone. Thank you.

• Posted

My gallbladder surgery was about 12 years ago.  Within 2 or 3 days after my surgery I developed a terrible gas problem.  I talked to my surgeon about it and he said I must be gulping air when I eat or drink.  I told him that I wasn't eating or drinking any different then I was before my surgery.  The pain in my right side, in the area where my gallbladder was, did not start for several years after my surgery.  Now I have pain, especially in the morning, I also have bloating.  I have had to buy clothes several sizes larger than before  because of all the bloating and pain on my right side..  Recently I had several ultrasounds.  I wanted to make sure there were no gallstones in the bile duct.  They didn't see any gallstones.  However, they said there were kidney stones, but the kidney stones were found on the left side and I don't have pain on that side. I do have some burning in my stomach area at times.  Some things that have helped me somewhat are Maximum Strength Phazyme Gas & Acid.  It contains 250 mg of Simethicone, which is supposed to help with the gas.  Also, I have been taking Nexium, which I understand helps with the pain caused from the excess bile in the system. You might also try mineral water.  That seems to help me some.  My doctor said I have "Dumping Syndrome," which is the bile being dumped from the liver into the small intestine, which causes pain, discomfort, cramping and spasms.  She also said I have "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" caused by no gallbladder.   This whole situation is not fun!  I have tried everything, but still am in pain and discomfort.  I wish I had a solution for all of you that are going through the same thing.  Also, a person after gallbladder surgery can have diarrhea or constipation.  I have been having a terrible case of constipation.  This can also be caused by pain medication, which I have been taking.   We all need to join together and let us know what has been of help to  you with your pain, gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea or whatever your symptoms are.  Another thing that is very import ant is to drink plenty of water.  A doctor told me that a person should take their weight and divide that in half and that is how many ounces of water they should drink a day.  Good luck to you and I hope that we will all get to the bottom of this problem with a good solution, healing and health!!! 

• Posted

I have the same problem, I had gallbladder surgery July 1st 2010 and at first I would be constipated and now it's the other way around sometimes I get loose stool and I feeI like I have to go after I just used the bathroom. I had 2 endoscopy, 2 colonoscopy in the last 12 years and I just had upper GI imaginary study that took 3 hours. Everything comes back negative but they said I have acid reflux bad. And my endoscopy showed gastritis and my colonoscopy showed internal hemorrhoids. I just want my life back, some days I be so depressed. I'm glad we a support forum, it's hard to tell anyone your problem unless they had gallbladder surgery.

• Posted

hi all.I had surgury 2015 and still get bloated after eating a little bit of food. So I have been searching for answers .  I came across other with the same issues.  It is because we can not digest fat any more, we just bloat.... so I started to Fast for lent using the Daniel Fast for 21 days.............Marvelous. We all must consume fruits and vetable and whole grains and water for the rest of our lives. No meat, fatty foods, dairy or creamey soups at all.  A vegan diet for life .............While on this fast ..prays included,  I lost weight and am becomming bloated free. After the Fast I have found while starting to eat regular foods again. I started to bloat again. So I must reinterate..all  fruit/veggies and no fatty/fried  foods at all. Water ,water and more water. Only until all bloating is gone. I'd say several months. 

• Posted

did you ever figure out a solution to your issues? did they find out exactly whats making you bloat like that and what to do to fix it? i had surgery 11/30/2020 and its been a nightmare since. i have constant bloating non stop every single day. i havnt been to the doc about it yet but im miserable. i also have constipation issues now too. and ive gained weight!

• Posted

It's been 9 months for me. I still have feelings around my pancreas and in the center of my stomach. Sometimes just water makes me feel very full.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.