Still bloated after gallbladder removal?

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hello guys it's me again. So I have been having a couple of issues after my gallbladder removal on August 5th. My stomach seems to feel very full now. This happened maybe 3-4 days after my surgery. I also started getting nauseous. But what bothers me the most is this bloated feeling. It's very uncomfortable and I can't eat much because I feel so stuffed and the nausea makes it worse. If I do try to eat my stomach literally feels like it's about to burst and it makes it hard to breathe. I've been walking here and there maybe 20 blocks each time as I was told walking will make the gas leave. But I feel so bad I'm not sure if anyone has experienced bloating this long? A friend of mine said her bloating and has left in a week. Is it possible to take ginger ale to help me burp, maybe gas x, anything? I just want to feel good again and I honestly feel sick. Don't think I'm constipated and I've been having bouts of diarreah and soft stool.

1 like, 185 replies

185 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I feel the same way! Nauseous, bloated, full after only eating a small amount. I'm day 5 since surgery. I keep thinking that I should feel better.

• Posted

Hey Stacie, /sorry to hear you feel the same way sad I'm still feeling like this and it's almost December.. it sucks! But I think my stomach flora is messed up so I'm going to try probiotics. Have you lost weight then since you can't eat much?

• Posted

Around how many hours apart do you feel comfortable eating? It's takes m around 3-4 hours to be able to eat again. But I feel sick during the entire time I have to wait 😞

• Posted

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that your not doing better sad. Let me know how the flora goes, I'm sure that I'll need it as well.

I'm not sure about my weight, I haven't gotten on the scale, but with this bloat I certainly don't feel any lighter. I usually feel better about 2 hours after eating, but then get a little queasy and then try to eat so that I feel better. It feels like a crazy circle right now lol. I don't want to gain another pound, and want to get off this cycle. I've always been steady with my weight and I gained about 25 pounds when I started noticing my symptoms which ended up being gallbladder trouble. I never had an actual gallbladder attack, just always bloated and miserable after eating among many other things. I kept doubting my sanity and if it was in my head because all my blood work was normal. Finally the doc did an ultrasound and a HIDA scan and my gallbladder was only functioning at 2%. My dream was to get my gallbladder out and feel healthy and normal again, but that has yet to happen. I'm hoping with time and healing that I will.

I absolutely hate the extra 25 pounds I gained!

• Posted

I had my surgery Monday,lived with bloating and acid reflux for years and the anxiety that full feeling causes. Was doing great until yesterday, that full bloated feeling is back, eating basically anything will cause it and it feels like it's pushing up on my lungs, not having a hard time breathing just a very full tight feeling, so I can relate! Hope yours gets better soon! Maybe at your follow up if it's not resolved the dr can help

• Posted

I can't gain any weight, I know I'm not eating enough but it's slightly impossible if I keep eating so little like this. It takes me around 3-4 hours to feel ok but then I'm scared to eat because I know that feeling will come back again. Are you still getting that bloated full feeling after eating? I know it's been a couple day since you mentioned it so I was wondering if it's there same or are you better? I don't want to eat anymore like ever lol I feel so miserable. Eating was so fun for me now I'm always watching the clock, wondering if I should eat now or later and then feeling miserable. I don't even like eating outside anymore.

• Posted

Now that a week has passed, are you feeling any better? I feel great now! All the bloating, pressure and full feeling is gone. I get a little queasy every so often after eating and still some trouble "going", but other than that I feel fantastic!

• Posted

hello stacie, ive been following this thread quite closely as it is very relevent to me.  what youve written about your experiences ect are very very similar to mine, im dreading having mine removed and still being left with this continual bloat, so i am very pleased to hear your feeling better. pls let us know of any updates would be very much appreciated. hope things continue to improve for you, tony 
    • Posted

Oh wow I'm so glad I came across your thread and I've also been feeling EXACTLY the same. I'm day 6 since GB removal surgery. Yesterday was the best I'd felt since op (as had awful shoulder pain which I think was gas related re: keyhole). Shoulder pain disappears and bloating, tenderness, sickness has begun 😫 after eating. So uncomfortable.   I've worked out from your dates that it's taken approx 15 days post-op to feel ok? Fingers crossed I might be able to eat my Christmas Dinner!!  Do you have any tips for me during my next 10 days that helped ease the feeling?

• Posted

Hello

I had my key hole surgery to remove my gall bladdder today ( 22.12.16)

How are you feeling now please and how long did it take to feel okay?

I'm nervous about sleeping in Tiered tbh in way to much pain to comfortable to sleep ... any advice ? Thank smile x

• Posted

Hi - you only had your GB removed yesterday?? WOW. You are still in recovery so give yourself a week or so at least. I had shoulder/neck pain for 5 or 6 days which kind of took my mind off the main event! (something to do with the trapped gas from keyhole apparently). Keep taking the pain relief though. I felt more comfortable physically once my stitches were removed (after 10 days).

Unfortunately I'm still really bloated/tender after eating the smallest of meals (constantly burping straight after which is embarrassing). Also waking me up around 5am with the fullness/nauseous (which was one of the problems when I HAD a GB 😳wink. It's been 22 days so I'm starting a food diary now. I'm sticking to the low/no fat where I can, and very small portions, however it seems daily so not sure if I'll spot a pattern but thought it worthwhile. I might try some bile supplements (suggested below) once I've seen the consultant if still not right.

You are very early days so I'm sure you will start to feel much better within a week or so... 😄

• Posted

Hi Olivia. I had my gallbladder removed on 12/21/16 and for the most part I'm feeling better. My biggest issue is pain/soreness around the belly button, the other incisions feel ok. Also, I can't 'go', so I've had to take a laxative and see what happens.

Around my belly button is swollen, too, but I think that is expected, since that is the incision they put the camera in. My lower abdomen feels like I did 1,000 crunches the day of the surgery. It sure doesn't help with sleeping. The night of the surgery, I was able to sleep somewhat on my left side, but last night I had to sleep only on my back because of the belly button pain. I'm a side sleeper, so needless to say last night the sleep didn't go very well.

I, too, was also nervous about sleeping the first night, but finally did go to sleep & get some rest. 

I hope you feel better soon & wish both you and me good luck on our recovery and healing. 

• Posted

I had mine done December 21st 2016 and no shoulder pain - - little bit of bloating went to doctor today and he took off bandages -I hope I don't get any of the problems above tonight was my first meal we'll see if it goes through me 

• Edited

Hello all, I am actually having all of the symptoms that y'all are. Can't eat but small meals. Heartburn, naseated, bloated. I had surgery November 21st, 2016, due to gallstones, and thought I would feel better, but I am worse now. I have lost 9 pounds in a month. Can anyone tell me if any relief is in site?

• Posted

Hi! Sorry I've seen this so late but I'm so sorry as well that you've been feeling just like me sad. Are you any better now? I was doing alright, not extremely better but at least better and now it seems to have fallen back again. I'm nauseous more often and my stomach feels so full and bloated for hours. I also feel sick while that's going on. This whole ordeal makes it soooooooooo very difficult for me to eat. Because obviously i can't eat when nauseous and full. Is it still the same for you?

• Posted

How are you feeling now. i just had my gb surgery on Saturday i felt better in the hospital. My back hurts and stitches at times pulls. haven't had diarrhea or nausea. Will i feel ok in 2 weeks. i really hope so. i try and walk everytime i get up. any advise?

• Posted

Same problem I've been having , my surgery was 5 weeks ago , can't eat don't want to eat , staying nauseous and sore and bloated and anxiety . I feel like I can't get ahead for setbacks . But on a bright note today was a pretty good day . Maybe we all just need more healing time than others 😇🙏

• Posted

Hi I've just had my gallbladder and gallstones taken out 02.02.17 just 4 days ago. Have 4 incisions wounds and feel totally bloated due to the gas I think. Trying to walk around to a little to get rid of the gas but in lots of pain. No getting any sleep as not used to sleeping on my back but hurts to much to sleep on side. My stitches will be in until 10.02.17. Trying to drink plenty of fluids but not feeling like eating much because of the bloating feeling. Hope you are OK ?

• Posted

Hi Stacie, I feel your pain hon. I gained 25pounds in 4 months and felt nauseous and couldn't hardly eat anything. I was in pain daily and was so bloated. I went to my doctor and she sent me for an ultrasound and it came back normal but she didn't believe it so sent me for a gallbladder ejection test and found out my gallbladder was functioning at 17 percent. i had my surgery last Wednesday and i am on day 9 of recovery and I am still so sore and bloated. I can't wear any of my Jean's only pj bottoms. The doctor made 2 incisions in my belly button and I have 3 on my stomach. I had 2 csections and I can honestly say I hurt about the same. I also still have a lot of back pain and I'm not sure why. I can't sit ,stand or lay down very long without hurting. I really hope you are feeling better, do you have any suggestions for me?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.