Stomach pain

Posted , 15 users are following.

I started taking Alendronic acid on Saturday as have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Nearly 48 hours later I'm suffering with chronic stomach pain is this a normal side effect? Please help

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How were you told to take your AA?  I know one must stay upright for half an hour after taking it.  And you must take it on an empty stomach with a large glass of water.  If you followed instructions and are still getting this side effect I think you should tell your doctor befor taking your next dose.  Why did your doctor feel you needed this medication?

Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Posted

hi

I took AA as directed on instructions. I have decided not to take another dose this week and have made an appointment to see doc unfortunatly not untill next week! I broke my wrist in jan so was sent for a dexa scan as im over 50 {only just 51} and my t scores show i have osteoporosi

• Posted

At least you had a DXA scan before being prescribed the med.  How low were your readings?  I was told I had osteoporosis, but in fact it was low bone mass, aka osteopenia.  Happy to report that within one year of no meds but taking care of diet, supplements and exercise my score improved from -2 to -1.6.  cool
    • Posted

Been tested after l4 l5 fracture dxa score -1.9 they wanted me to take fosamax read too many horror stories decided to try supplement and I walk 1 to 2 miles every day weather permitting . stopped drinking diet coke no more mcds taking vit k d boron mag calcium 3 different forms three times a day maca power coconut oil honey you name it still having a hard time eating lot of fruits and vegetables. what did you correct diet wise. ps i now try to buy only grass feed beef and organic everything   
    • Posted

Giving up the soda pop is a great move, well done!  I had a pretty healthy vegetarian diet for years, but after I learned about Vitamin K2 (which I also now supplement) I started eating more fermented foods, beyond yoghurt.  But apparently yoghurt is really good for helping with calcium absorption so now I have a tablespoon or so when I have my bedtime calcium supplement.  i also sleep a lot better these days - think it's the supplement!  I have also developed a craving for leafy greens.  I have to take prednisone for an autoimmune disorder (polymyalgia) and this can lead to high blood sugar or even diabetes, so I have pretty much given up all refined grains and added sugar except the very occasional treat.  I'v never used artificial sweeteners.  I don't know if this has also helped the bones, I rather think it might have.

• Posted

Please be careful and get another scan after 2yrs of adjusting your diet. My T score dropped from -2.4 to -2.6 in 4 years and was advised to take Alendronic Acid. I decided to adjust my already good diet, increase my yoga, walking, stopped smoking, but sadly after 3 years its gone to -3. I felt I had no choice but try the meds. Only taken two so far but do have stomach ache. My GP gave me a prescription for Omeprazole which I don't want to take as it can hinder absorption of certain minerals apparently.

• Posted

Yes the stomach pain is one side effect they own up to and the top one.

Read everything on here....all the postings etc.

You might have some more questions after that.

By the way, do you know your tscores?

• Posted

Hi

Thanks yes i intend to find out more about this med. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis last month after having a DEXA scan following a wrist fracture. my t scores are spine 3.1 which indicate established osteoporosis and my hip score is 1.3 which indicate osteopenia. Its all come as a massive shock to me as im only 51 and am in what i thought good health iv had all relevent blood test to find out if undelying cause but all have come back negative. I even take vitamin d and calcium supplements.

• Posted

Actually, Kath, I'm surprised -1.3 would be cause for concern, but certainly the -3.1 needs to be cared for one way or another.  When my reading got to -1.6 they said medication was not recommended, although the previous year at -2 it had been advised.  You can get advice from a physiotherapist about ways to protect your spine, as well as exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles.  Some gentle exercises that are good for bones include tai chi or some kinds of yoga or even zumba (not all kinds are good).  

Good luck - do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Kath

I'm sorry you feel ill after taking the AA. Following my own research and the great support from this forum I have steadfastly refused to take it and am trying to follow a natural path after recovering from a broken leg. I believe that it weakens bones, making them denser rather than stronger and some of my friends have ceased taking it because of side effects. Definitely tell your doctor how you feel before you take any more.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply. yes i have decided not to continue with it untill i have spoken to my doctor next week.

• Posted

Hi Kath,

Some people get stomach problems with many drugs, they can give you stomach tablets or gel caps, you must speak to your doctor. I have taken it for 2 years now and never had a stomach problem but all drugs come withe some side effects unfortunately. I was thinking of coming of this drug but my doctor is persuading me to stay on it. Hope everything goes well. Regards Anne

• Posted

Hi

many thanks for your comment. I really dont know what to do i was diagnosed last month after a dexa scan following a wrist fracture. Im still in shock really as i am only 51 and there is no reason for me to have this diesease i am fit and healthy no early menopause take vit suppliments work as a gardener so get excersise and plenty of sunshine. I have made an appointment to speak to my doctor next week .

• Posted

If it is any encouragement to you, the scan measured your density, but not the flexibility and strength of your bones.  A wrist has small bones and so is naturally more vulnerable to break than the larger bones of the body.  If you are a relatively small person a lower bone density is actually quite normal - we are not all strong young men!
    • Posted

Exactly Anhaga! I am 154 cm so small with tiny bones so that is what I am relying on. 
    • Posted

No I'm not exactly a small person being 5,5 and weigh about 12.7st so was told for my height weight age and life style my scores arrange too low. Especially my spine. However I wasn't really told if i can help myself with out Meds. I have only had a short consultation with the nurse when diagnosis was given. So any help with how to get more information would be great. I have an appointment with my doctor next week. Thanks

• Posted

I'll private message you my little account of my osteoporosis journey, as it includes some info that might be helpful to you.  I wrote it for myself, to keep track of what I was doing, and have updated it a little bit, but sure there's room for improvement.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.