Stomach pain

Posted , 15 users are following.

I started taking Alendronic acid on Saturday as have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Nearly 48 hours later I'm suffering with chronic stomach pain is this a normal side effect? Please help

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I wonder if you are still suffering. I took my first, and last, alendronic acid tablet four weeks ago (taking it correctly) and  had a terrible reaction 48 hours later. I woke in the night with appalling heartburn, violent stomach cramps and nausea. I still have terrible symptoms. My GP told me he'd never known such a reaction to one tablet, but I saw a gastroenterologist earlier this week who confirmed that it is not that uncommon. He was surprised though, that the symptoms were so severe and still ongoing. I've been taking a proton pump inhibitor (to reduce stomach acid) for three weeks but it has not helped much. In fact I'm beginning to wonder if they are causing their own side effects. 

My digestive system was absolutely fine until this.  I'd just started to come to terms with the shock of osteoporosis diagnosis, now this!

I hope your experience has been less awful than mine!

• Posted

I agree the PPI is probably not helping at this time.  You might want to do some research about improving the balance of your microbiota.  
  • Posted

Hiya ,I have taken one AA on Tuesday and had chest pains , pains in my legs feeling very unwell ... has anyone else had these kind of Pains 
  • Posted

started taking Alendronic acid on Tuesday  as have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. had chest pains pains in legs feeling very low and very tied 

• Posted

Jeannette, this is kind of an old post, I think if you want some replies you should make a new post asking this question.  And I'm afraid I can't help you as I've never taken this med.

• Posted

Sorry, Jennette, oh for an edit button
    • Posted

I am just so glad I never started taking this awful drug. Side effects are not rare, I do not care what anyone says!
  • Posted

Hi Kath - I took my 1st pill a week ago, within 48 hours the nausea was so chronic I could hardly stand, when I went up to bed I was sick but small acidic amount (sorry about graphic description). I took my 2nd pill on Friday (it’s now 3am Sunday) and the heartburn is unbelievably painful. On top of this, I have a broken hand that is pinned, the pain is beyond excruciating night & day and no painkillers touch it, I broke it before diagnosis with huge impact, it was pinned 2.5 weeks ago, 2 weeks after break. I’m guessing the pain won’t abate because of AA but I’m not enjoying any of this one bit, sleep eludes me and daily function is laboured - I’m feeling this drug isn’t the right route - anyone tried any alternatives? Like natural stuff? Good luck Kath and  everyone struggling with this. 

• Posted

People are having results with the natural route of addressing osteoporosis.

Vitamin K2 aims the calcium onto the bones. Magnesium is important and has been found to account for some breakages in that some people with broken bones were found to be lacking in magnesium.

Diet is important to address this making sure all nutrients are covered.

Fruit and vegetables, yoghurt, leafy greens, avocados, bony broth, jelly, cucumbers are some of the foods that support healthy bones.

Research what is needed to help your bones. Avoid sugar. 

Do weight bearing exercise to the extent you are able.

Take control and you will feel empowered and hopefully make your bones stronger.

Bones are living and capable of building and rebuilding so it makes sense we can help them along by diet and exercise and some extra boosts like vitamin D3, magnesium, vitamin k2, etc.

Check your vitamin D levels and calcium in particular on your blood tests and continue to monitor them.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply - it’s my first post and I realised I should have sent a new message. I’ve always done huge amounts of exercise, my calcium & D levels tested as normal but I’m post-meno, thin, eat a lot of sugar & had a drug thru both pregs that pre-dispose to oesteporosis - so I can entirely see where I need to go now - thank you, will research madly. Good luck & thanks again 🙏🏽

• Posted

The reason for a new post is because this will only be seen by people who followed the original post.  We get notifications that someone has replied to it.  A new post will be seen as a notification to everyone who reads the notifications list.
  • Posted

I remember the diagnosis shock so well.  I’m a wheelchair user with -3.3 in hips.  Found out AFTER I’d fallen and broken hip.  Please be careful!  I hated AA and my doctor put me on Ibandronate acid.  Supposed to be just as effective but I only have to take it once a month.  Also fewer side effects.  After a while you do get used to it - the diagnosis I mean.  I’m 54 and thought bones lasted a life time.  Ask about ibandronate.  
    • Posted

It will be interesting to see if Kath comes back. I checked her profile and she hasn't been here for seven months.  

Ibandronate is in the same class of drugs as alendronate and risedronate, although perhaps the dosage schedule does help with some of the side effects.

• Posted

I'm sorry you feel ill after taking the AA. Following my own research and the great support from this forum I have steadfastly refused to take it and am trying to follow a natural path after recovering from a broken leg. I believe that it weakens bones, making them denser rather than stronger and some of my friends have ceased taking it because of side effects. Definitely tell your doctor how you feel before you take any more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.