Stool test

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm currently undergoing tests since Novmeber for abdominal discomfort. (Could simply be ibs) Today I was asked to do a stool test. He didn't say what In particular he's looking for but just something that could be irritating me. I'm in my early 20s.

What do they usually test using a stool sample?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Diagnosis of abdominal conditions is a process of exclusion.  First point of call is to check that you dont have an infection of any sort, no blood, no food allergy.  If your stool is entirely normal indicates nothing major going on, if food allergy they will advise on what to eat or not ea.  You are quite young but they might decide to do a colonoscopy or gastroscipy where they use a camera to look inside of they may just decide that you have IBS and prescribe some meds
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply. He did say actually say if nothing comes back from this he is going to refer me because I am sufferering. I've already be prescribed a few things for ibs which I didn't really we a difference. I'm guessing if an infection is found he will just prescribe me antibiotics and send me on my way... He does like to get the more serious reasons out the way first...
  • Posted

Yes if its a bacterial infection antibiotics but unless you have been abroad drunk dodgy water etc thats unusual, viraol poissible.  Referral will probably involve some investigations like camera tests, maybe they will take a small sample to check for allergies - wheat that sort of thing and in the end when evertything excluded you may just be advised it is IBS and then its meds, diet there is a fodmap diet where you essentially stop eating and then introduce things a bit at a time and see what are allergic to.

What meds has doc given you

• Posted

Mebeverine and buscopan upto now and one more but I'm not sure what it's called (don't have it at hand)

I have heard of that diet! Seems so strange this has happened, if it was a food allergy as I've always been fine with eating whatever I want all my life!

• Posted

Mind how you go with buscopan. I only recently discovered it works by relaxing the colon but it interferes with the normal process you need to digest and pass stools so can lead to constipation.

What are your stress levels like. Clear link between stress and ibs

• Posted

Great post as have been seeing this advertised a lot, Buscopan, so it has been on my mind too especially after a recent IBS attack.

I agree as I was more ill when I was in work, more stress, but now I am not working due to illness but I find I still having the damn attacks so not completely cured so proof for me that it is not all stress but I agree stress is related to this condition as in a working environment I tend to be quite stressed but that means now I should not be stressed and therefore not be ill but that is not the case sadly.

• Posted

I suffer anxiety but I'm pretty sure my anxoety had been raised over the past months from my belly problems not the other way round... However I also said the same when My anxiety was bad for about two years, 4 years a go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.