Sudden increase in Creatinine and decrease in eGfr

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I am a 34 year old male and earlier this week when I went for blood tests for kidney and liver function, I came to know that some results were out of the normal range:

Creatinine - 112.35

EGfr - 73

AST - 42.7

ALT - 46.2

I had full tests done just three months back and results were all normal as shown below:

Creatinine - 89

EGfr - 123

AST - 21

ALT - 19

I am very concerned as kidney diseases run in the family and I have lost a cousin to kidney failure.

I have never had high blood pressure am not diabetic. The results were never in this range before and the only things I can think of this that could have dealt the blows are alcohol during the festive season (and I was stupid enough to do binge drinking about three weeks back) and taking prescribed anti depressant medicines about two weeks back. 

This has me extremely worried and am having panic attacks. Doctor has asked to take fish oil and see him back after 1 month but I feel I can’t wait that long. I might go see him sooner to share earlier results which was from another clinic. 

Should I be worried and is there any permanent damage.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks 

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pran.

Sorry to hear that you had such worrying results.  It would seem unlikely that short term drinking would cause this to happen.  Quick changes are usually due to something significant like an infection.  The other thing that can occur with young guys (or girls) is that they greatly overdo stress exercise in the gym and do not adequately hydrate.  I can see why your doc says take sensible supplements.  I would add,  be critical of your diet, moderate exercise, drink enough water to be properly hydrated, and see how the numbers look next time.  Personally I would be a little suspicious of the accuracy of the tests as eGfr would not usually be up at 120+ (usually is around 100 at best) then down in the 70s.  Creatinine can vary a bit depending on what you have been doing!

In the circumstances I would be wondering if I could come up with something that had happened that was different from usual.

Best of luck,

KenR

• Posted

Thanks KenR.

My sentinments exactly on the sudden change. Been researching online and haven’t yet come across situation where someone has shared on such a drop in gfr. I have a friend who is a nurse and she said same about not hydrating enough before the test. I was a bit sick when I went to the doctor asking for tests to be done (was extremely fatigued, not able to sleep well and had body ache). 

I have already considered reducing protein and carbs intake , and no more alcohol for now as well. 

Will get another test done and update on the results. 

Many thanks 

• Posted

First.  Listen to your doctor.  Results in blood tests will fluctuate.  My doctors always yell at me to not panic on a bad result.  That they want to see what a 3 month supply of tests indicate.  Now understand the relationship between Creatinine and eGFR.  Basically if the Creatinine level goes up, then the eGFR will go down.  Think of it that the Creatinine is the "boss" of the eGFR.  If the Creatinine level goes back to "normal" then the egfr will increase to normal.  Creatinine is a waste product from muscles.  If you exercise a lot then this will produce increase of Creatinine in your body and thus the bad results.  Also a diet with too much protein (for example a lot of meats) will increase your Creatinine.  Not drinking enough fluids will increase Creatinine. I know it is easy for the doctor to say do not panic.  But it is the normal human reaction to be worried.  One bad blood test does not make everything a disaster.  Do as the doctor says.  Wait at least a month, then do another.  In the mean time pay attention if you are eating too much protein, not drinking enough, or exercising in excess.  Let us know.

• Posted

Thanks Rick.

I have not been excercising much , just 3 days a weeks of running on the treadmill. I am currently involved in a big project at work and working til late nights and weekends most of the time , hence not able to get out much.

Had started to rely on a beer or two daily to relax which I now see might not have been the best idea. 

Given that I was bit sick when I went for the tests , I most likely would not have taken enough water and also I had been fasting (was told later this was unnecessary). 

Will keep intake to normal levels before next test. 

Many thanks 

• Posted

Exercise is good in moderation for your kidney.  But the creatinine comes from muscle development.  For example if you lift weights to build muscle, this will dramatically increase Creatinine.  I personally don't think a beer or two daily is the problem.  If you took any over the counter meds for your sickness it can make it different.  Fasting definitely changes your numbers.  I once (this was even before my kidney was  removed) got alarming BUN and Creatinine and GFR numbers.  The doctor looked very concerned.  I had fasted for 14 hours before the test because it included testing for other things.  He said wait 2 days, do my normal consumption, then test again without that 14 hour fasting.  My numbers then were perfect just 2 days later!!!   Now my numbers suck because I had one kidney removed.  Can't expect normal numbers when you only have 1/2 the equipment (1 kidney) to do the job, and it is 68 years old!  Keep us informed.

• Posted

Thanks Rick.  Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope all okay. 

Actually I did about a 14 hour fasting as well.

Also I did take some medications for anxiety :

Bevidoxine forte,

Pacifen/baclofen,

Ativan/lorazepam (which was later substituted by Amitriptyline, but I had just one tablet of this as I read online on its side effects and stopped)

I was taking these meds less than 2 weeks ago. Not sure if they would still impact the readings. 

• Posted

Also watch those protein drinks, especially the ones with added creatine  that many young people drink on a daily basis.
    • Posted

Thanks Fran. Nah I haven’t taken any protein drinks in a long time. Only things that come to mind that could have given higher creatinine reading are not drinking enough water and having chicken and lamb the previous day. 
  • Posted

My apologies earlier eGfr was 97 and not 123.   

The report itself didn’t include this and I calculated it online. 

Rechecked and it should read 97

• Posted

Hi Pran,

that makes more sense and the difference in the next reading less dramatic.  I think if you are careful with food and hydration then another check will show how things are going.  Avoid overexercising before the next test too!

KenR

• Posted

Hi all. I went back for another test earlier this week and results are looking bit better now.

AST and ALT levels are well within the range and Creatinine has gone down to 93. 

My GP says whilst it looks better than before , he would still prefer to keep testing over the next few months. 

• Posted

Hi,

I am pleased to hear that you have better results.  I think your doc is right to keep checking, and whatever you have been doing that has moved the numbers in the right direction  -keep it up!

• Posted

Thanks KenR. Below is what I have been doing :

- taking fish oil

- cut down on cooked meat 

- no alcohol or other medications 

- moderate exercise 

Intend to continue with this lifestyle for now. 

• Posted

Pran

​Great news.  You are fortunate.  I follow the exact same routine as you, fish oil, etc.  But my numbers have not gone in a good direction.  I continue the routine with hope maybe next time will be better.

Rick

• Posted

Thanks Rick. Hoping your number improve soon. Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.