Sudden increase in Creatinine and decrease in eGfr

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I am a 34 year old male and earlier this week when I went for blood tests for kidney and liver function, I came to know that some results were out of the normal range:

Creatinine - 112.35

EGfr - 73

AST - 42.7

ALT - 46.2

I had full tests done just three months back and results were all normal as shown below:

Creatinine - 89

EGfr - 123

AST - 21

ALT - 19

I am very concerned as kidney diseases run in the family and I have lost a cousin to kidney failure.

I have never had high blood pressure am not diabetic. The results were never in this range before and the only things I can think of this that could have dealt the blows are alcohol during the festive season (and I was stupid enough to do binge drinking about three weeks back) and taking prescribed anti depressant medicines about two weeks back. 

This has me extremely worried and am having panic attacks. Doctor has asked to take fish oil and see him back after 1 month but I feel I can’t wait that long. I might go see him sooner to share earlier results which was from another clinic. 

Should I be worried and is there any permanent damage.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks 

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Pran,

really well done!  The surprising thing for me is that the health risks from a poor lifestyle are not more clearly stated as most people would see a benefit.  Too many think that just because they are not ill today that they can continue to become grossly overweight and take no exercise, with every likelihood that serious health problems will be just round the corner.

You are to be congratulated for taking the right steps - I hope you have a long and happy life!

KenR

• Posted

Thanks KenR.

I agree , I would have never stopped to care about my health if I had not gotten this test done. I assumed that everything is okay as the numbers were okay in the yearly checkups, and that there was no need to watch over my health. I have not had any alcohol for a month now (first time in many years!) , and intend to keep it this way. Have a blood test later this week to recheck the numbers - fingers crossed ! 

• Posted

Hi Pran,

I am impressed with your attention to making sure that you do not harm your kidneys!  Well done!  If you decide to stay off alcohol I am sure that you will find this becomes less and less of a problem.  I rarely bother to drink these days, and my oldest son went 'dry' several years ago and is very fit but with unconnected health issues - he nearly died afler taking the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin for a chest infection!

It is tricky getting a good work/life balance sometimes.  All I would suggest is that you include things that you really enjoy doing and can look forward to taking part in!  I hope it all goes well for you!

KenR

• Posted

I just had my creatinine levels checked and it was slightly elavated. I think the norm range goes up to 1.3 and mine was at 1.4. Dr didn’t seem to concerned , just wanted me to get it rechecked within a month.

I will be the first to say, I don’t drink enough water, eat a lot of protein and I do kickboxing and Muay Thai 4-5 days a week which is pretty intense .

However I suffer from bad health anxiety and always think the worse. I started thinking I was in kidney failure right away and now I’m just very scared because I know nothing about any of this.

• Posted

hi pran,

hope you are well and hoping you see this message. i am 30 and on the exact same apot as you. since its few years old thread, im hoping you have positive updates. what were you results? hope it turned out to be nothing for you. please do right back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.